Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography during the virus: where and how to go  (Read 31385 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Photography during the virus: where and how to go
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 12:12:24 pm »

that was my point - you don't strike me as an avid outdoorsman ... who will save you from the elements later  ;D
Well, I'm not.  Unless I can have a tent with running water and a toilet.  :)  But I'm sure there are others who know locations where there won't be any other traffic.  America is a big place especially in some parts.  I've heard people say that even in Yosemite during the crowded summer, you can get out into the high country there and wonder around for days and not see anyone.  Right now my wife and I are getting on each others nerves being cooped up for two weeks.  We might kill each other before the virus gets to us.  So I suggested just going for a drive for an hour, just the two of us.  No stopping.  No hiking.  Just turn on the music and take a relaxing tour.  That's no exposing anyone and it's healthy mentally.  You can join us but only if you've been tested.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 12:24:57 pm »

The advice from my local mountaineering association rings true

https://www.mountaineering.ie/aboutus/news/2020/?id=265

Even a minor accident, getting a sprained ankle which requires assistance, or a short spell in an ER, places us, others at risk not to mention adds to the stresses of a medical system already under unbearable strain.
I agree that dangerous activities should be avoided where assistance might be more likely due to a fall.  Their letter refers to "... hills, crags, mountains and indoor climbing walls, ..." But taking a walk on a decent walking trail or a stroll down to the pond doesn't seem too dangerous.  There are old people here in my retirement community that walk by my house in the morning,  They could fall off the curb and become a problem too.  But I think people can act reasonably safe. 

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 09:45:46 pm »

Here in Yosemite, the National Park Service has made it quite clear that no one should be rock climbing during the closure especially residents. I've been getting my exercise by walking up a dirt road in the mornings.  This video helps show why the park doesn't want people to partake in high-risk acitivities such as climbing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA2TwI8xHLs&t=282s  I particularly shudder when at about 7:30 the minimum warming goes off.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:04:58 pm by HSakols »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 06:25:51 am »

China re-opened tourist sites for hiking and photography. Forget about shooting from tripod.

Images from the Huangshan mountain park in Anhui province on Saturday April 4 showed thousands of people crammed together, many wearing face masks, eager to experience the great outdoors after months of travel restrictions and strict lockdown measures. Such was the rush to get into the popular tourist spot, that at 7.48 a.m., authorities took the unusual step of issuing a notice declaring that the park had reached its 20,000 person daily capacity, and would not be accepting any more visitors

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 09:00:52 am »

Most are wearing masks.  Is that habit or are the still cases?

degrub

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 11:25:48 am »

it is traditional in Asia out of respect for others to prevent possible transference of disease to another.
i thought i heard that it was mandatory in the cities for now.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2020, 11:54:17 am »

it is traditional in Asia out of respect for others to prevent possible transference of disease to another.
But they don;t normally wear the mask so widely.  So I question whether they're doing that out of past fear.  Or, are there new cases going around that's being downplayed?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2020, 11:52:50 pm »

That's one theory. I would speculate that the main reason for wearing the masks, however flawed, is to protect themselves. And on such a crowded trail, it may not be a bad idea.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2020, 04:58:58 pm »

Given we are supposed to have an interest in photography, there must be things we can do around our homes.  I provide photographs for our local magazine and the editor wants photos of deserted streets for a tryptic on the front page.  This means they will have to be 3 panoramas to stack one above the other to make a square, so they will have to be 3x1.  This is an interesting little project on one of the infrequent times out staying close to home.  He also wants a photo of lambs as it is that time of year here.  So the other day, on my one a day only advised walk,  I ambled to a field some half mile away and stood by the fence trying to get images of uncooperative subjects! Great fun, and one is attached of a frolic; it has met his brief and he is happy.

We are lucky to have a garden, so it is an opportunity to brush up on focus stacking of a tulip (attached).  I probably need more practice with my Fuji.  There is an upside to 'Stay home, help the Health Service cope and save lives' (and get the economy going again quicker).  Perhaps it is time to do things without rushing around and savour the world close to us.  I feel some macro practice may be a good idea.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2020, 09:55:34 am »

My best suggestion is to visit John R and follow him on his daily walk (but not closer than 6 feet).
Be sure to wear a mask, but not on your camera.
 8)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2020, 10:54:33 am »

I put my cameras onto the shelf and am focussing on making coffee table books from many trips I've taken.

This is very good advice.  Making a coffee table book is a challenging, engaging and delightful exercise.  I’ve done four this year already.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2020, 01:44:27 pm »

This is very good advice.  Making a coffee table book is a challenging, engaging and delightful exercise.  I’ve done four this year already.
Books are my next experiment.  I still have another vacation slide show to do.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 11:41:19 am »

We are lucky to have a garden, so it is an opportunity to brush up on focus stacking of a tulip (attached).  I probably need more practice with my Fuji.  There is an upside to 'Stay home, help the Health Service cope and save lives' (and get the economy going again quicker).  Perhaps it is time to do things without rushing around and savour the world close to us.  I feel some macro practice may be a good idea.

This was a great suggestion.  I did a little hunting around on the web and ordered a used 60mm f/2.4 macro lens for my Fuji X-T3 from one of the New York retail outlets.  I found focus stacking with Photoshop to be rather tedious, and after their free trial licensed Helicon Focus.  So in addition to keeping myself occupied while under house arrest, I've done my bit to help the photographic industry.  A few samples:

Azalea flower (about 3 cm in diameter)

Orchid (detail)

Figural from ca. 1935 French Art Deco clock

dreed

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 12:08:17 pm »

The obvious answer to this is "explore your local neighbourhood".

Take a different eye to the every day and ordinary and see if you can find the art that lies hidden in plain sight.

Not all landscape and streetscape photography needs to come from famous or grandious locations.

A link on LuLa back to the bullfight story reminds me of a photo MR took of ladies wearing hats in no place special.

What's the remarkable waiting to be found in your local hood?

SebastienCoell

• SCoellPhotography
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2021, 07:00:46 am »

So I have thought about this a lot as well, its difficult, I have a campervan and used to camp over night at certain locations to make it worth visiting my local counties, since the lockdown, that has stopped.. I agree if your out and about on your own and your not using service stations or shops. How much harm can you actually do.

I have found its more of a motivational thing it just doesn't seem very exciting to go out in the middle of it all, I instead have decided to work on my website more and go through some old pictures etc.. Although it still feels bad when I'm sat indoors during a nice sunset 🌇

Endeavour

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 09:35:27 am »

Its disappointing to read this thread

I am desperate to get out with my camera, I have bought a tech cam for landscapes that I cannot use yet, but it is what it is. The landscape isnt going anywhere.

Its so frustrating to see people trying to interpret the rules to their own end or bend them to justify what they want to selfishly do

STAY AT HOME is the message, essential travel only. Yes its frustrating, but we are all in the same boat.

"Sorry your gran died kids, but I didnt think the strict lockdown orders actually were meant for me or were intended to be restrictive in any way to my own personally activities - it's just everyone else that should be locked down right?"

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 12:57:37 pm »

Its disappointing to read this thread

I am desperate to get out with my camera, I have bought a tech cam for landscapes that I cannot use yet, but it is what it is. The landscape isnt going anywhere.

Its so frustrating to see people trying to interpret the rules to their own end or bend them to justify what they want to selfishly do

STAY AT HOME is the message, essential travel only. Yes its frustrating, but we are all in the same boat.

"Sorry your gran died kids, but I didnt think the strict lockdown orders actually were meant for me or were intended to be restrictive in any way to my own personally activities - it's just everyone else that should be locked down right?"
Rules vary from area to area.  Plus, millions in the USA have been vaccinated including me.  Getting out in the woods, beach, etc is very open with few people if any. Reasonable precautions can be taken.  By the way, I'm 76 so I have concern for this issue.  But I don't think I need to stay locked up in my house.  I get out with my wife and we walk trails and go shopping.  I wouldn't go picture-taking in a crowded inside location.  But outdoors is fine.  Wear your mask.  Where do you live?  I live in central NJ.

Endeavour

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 02:05:51 pm »

there is more to it than just standing in the middle of nowhere miles from anyone else though, unless you already live in the middle of nowhere

how are you travelling to these sites? what if you're in an accident through no fault of your own on the way? you could well be at risk or risk others including emergency workers

anyway I am not here to sermonize other than to say the advice is clear: stay home for everyone's sake. whatever justifications you think you can throw out there this is the overriding message

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 02:59:46 pm »

there is more to it than just standing in the middle of nowhere miles from anyone else though, unless you already live in the middle of nowhere

how are you travelling to these sites? what if you're in an accident through no fault of your own on the way? you could well be at risk or risk others including emergency workers

anyway I am not here to sermonize other than to say the advice is clear: stay home for everyone's sake. whatever justifications you think you can throw out there this is the overriding message
You are sermonizing. I drive in a personal car, not in crowded public transportation.  I've had both shots.  I'm not a threat to anyone.  Have you had your shots yet?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up