Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography during the virus: where and how to go  (Read 31380 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Photography during the virus: where and how to go
« on: March 25, 2020, 08:25:42 am »

So I have time on my hands.  I'm isolating at home.  But being out by yourself in nature taking pictures seems safe.  Just where to go and how to get there? I live in New Jersey.  So I guess a drive to the shore is one option.  Woodsie areas abound is another.  I could go up to the Catskills in NY for the day.  What about eating and accomodations?  Taking sandwiches, tents, etc?

What are you doing and how are you handling it where you live or want to go? I thought this would be a good place to discuss these ideas.  Many of us certainly have the time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:35:12 am by Alan Klein »

stamper

Re: Photography during the virus: where and how to go
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:34:56 am »

Stay at home. In Scotland a lot of people have done what you have suggested and villages and remote places have become busy, over whelming local facilities. This is selfish.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 10:41:17 am »

Stay at home. In Scotland a lot of people have done what you have suggested and villages and remote places have become busy, over whelming local facilities. This is selfish.
There are a lot of off the beaten path places to go to beside the usual tourist spots.  That's what I was thinking about.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 08:30:26 pm »

So I have time on my hands.  I'm isolating at home.  But being out by yourself in nature taking pictures seems safe.  Just where to go and how to get there? I live in New Jersey.  So I guess a drive to the shore is one option.  Woodsie areas abound is another.  I could go up to the Catskills in NY for the day.  What about eating and accomodations?  Taking sandwiches, tents, etc?

What are you doing and how are you handling it where you live or want to go? I thought this would be a good place to discuss these ideas.  Many of us certainly have the time.

Tents for sleeping, as a hide or for changing film?
As to the sandwiches, I always pack my own. It's safer, cheaper, tastier, and more flexible when it comes to eating time or place.

TommyWeir

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 06:59:18 am »

I'm limiting it to trips which are low impact, something I've considered more and more lately anyway.   My local garage is in on the edge of our village, they fill the car up for you, so I've been using them a lot.

I pack my car, make a flask of coffee, make sandwiches and bring snacks and only stop at my chosen locations in the wild.  I've spotted a few sites that require access to farms, I'll be waiting until this is over until I approach their doors however.

I figure if I'm in a remote area and I've minimized completely my interaction with others, it's okay.  Going to tourist spots and likely popular sites, no, this is not about entertainment, that's a foolish and yes, selfish, call.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 10:13:41 am »

I went to  local park to shoot some pictures.  Then I realized I was standing in grass where lots of deer and deer ticks would be.  I didn't spray myself or my clothes.  So now I'm worried about Lyme disease.  You can't win. 

stamper

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 10:39:07 am »

I went to  local park to shoot some pictures.  Then I realized I was standing in grass where lots of deer and deer ticks would be.  I didn't spray myself or my clothes.  So now I'm worried about Lyme disease.  You can't win. 

Stay at home

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 10:57:42 am »

Stay at home
My wife's there.  It's safer in the park.  :)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 11:36:17 am »

I now have plenty of time to work on photos.  I took this shot two days before the park was closed. Hang in there!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 11:58:21 am »

Nice Shot. Where is that?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 06:23:05 am »

I’m taking photos from home. Shot these this morning.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 12:58:09 pm »

The advice here is unequivocal;  stay at home, wash your hands for 20 seconds in a good lather frequently, no non-essential travel.  The police have legal powers now to stop people and check whether their trip is essential and demand they go home.  Persistent offenders will have a hefty fine.  A single walk, cycle ride or run in your neighbourhood once a day for half an hour or a max of 1 hour is good as exercise keeps up your immune system.  Only go out on your own or with those with whom you live and at all times keep at least 2 metres from anyone else (social distancing).  More than one outside walk, cycle, run or out for more than 1 hour per day can cause a greater chance of getting near others.  Work from home using technology if possible.  My niece is a solicitor and her company has bought 160 laptops so that home working is possible.  There is a list of exempt workers.  The whole thrust is to cut down getting close to other people.  Supermarkets and pharmacies are imposing the 2 metre rule and rationing the number of people shopping at any one time. 

Re photography, people are accepting that there is much in the immediate environment and there are lots doing macro work, time lapse, etc.

The mantra is be responsible and help to help the National Health Service.  That way you will save lives.  It is up to you.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

hogloff

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 10:34:13 am »

I put my cameras onto the shelf and am focussing on making coffee table books from many trips I've taken. I'm abiding by only going out for essential reasons and going out to take photos is not essential from my perspective. I do go out for excersise as that for me is essential.

DP

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 10:40:37 am »

There are a lot of off the beaten path places to go to
you ask questions like "Taking sandwiches, tents, etc?" and want to go "off the beaten path places"... seriously ?

hogloff

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 11:15:58 am »

you ask questions like "Taking sandwiches, tents, etc?" and want to go "off the beaten path places"... seriously ?

Yes, this is not a time to go out on fun trips for the day. Best to take the advice and stay home unless going out for essential reasons...photography sure is not essential.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 11:28:51 am »

You cherry picked my post.  I was responding to someone who said the trails they know in Scotland are crowded.  But if you know a trail that's off the beaten path and no one else is around, I see no problem going there on your own.  You neither will infect anyone else and won't infect yourself.  The virus doesn't just appear out of nowheres.  Getting in your car and driving there doesn't expose you to anyone else either unless you speed and get stopped by a cop. 

DP

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 11:40:20 am »

You cherry picked my post.  I was responding to someone who said the trails they know in Scotland are crowded.  But if you know a trail that's off the beaten path and no one else is around, I see no problem going there on your own.  You neither will infect anyone else and won't infect yourself.  The virus doesn't just appear out of nowheres.  Getting in your car and driving there doesn't expose you to anyone else either unless you speed and get stopped by a cop.

Alan, join the fun = https://www.facebook.com/groups/izoizolyacia/

stamper

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 11:40:59 am »

How do you know that there isn't anyone around before you get there?

DP

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 11:43:32 am »

But if you know a trail that's off the beaten path 

that was my point - you don't strike me as an avid outdoorsman ... who will save you from the elements later  ;D

TommyWeir

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:17 am »

The advice from my local mountaineering association rings true

https://www.mountaineering.ie/aboutus/news/2020/?id=265

Even a minor accident, getting a sprained ankle which requires assistance, or a short spell in an ER, places us, others at risk not to mention adds to the stresses of a medical system already under unbearable strain.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up