Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126]   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS  (Read 86341 times)

faberryman

Re: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS
« Reply #2500 on: November 01, 2020, 05:58:12 pm »

I don't have to answer your questions of which there are too many.  You're not interviewing me.  Make your points and I'll make mine.

Of course you don't have to answer my questions. Nobody is forcing to you. The problem is you quote my post in your response, and then change the subject.  If you quote my post in your response, I don't think it is unreasonable for me to think that you would like to engage in a conversation with me, so I'll ask questions so we can talk about whatever we are discussing, or just point out that your post is not really a response, and you trying to change the subject. If you don't want to answer my questions, don't include my post as a quote in your response; just post some off-topic comment, and we'll figure out that you don't want to talk about the subject we were discussing any more, and would like to talk about something different. It is really not that hard. Sort of basic stuff.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:22:26 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2501 on: November 01, 2020, 06:51:21 pm »

Of course you don't have to answer my questions. Nobody is forcing to you. The problem is you quote my post in your response, and then change the subject.  If you quote my post in your response, I don't think it is unreasonable for me to think that you would like to engage in a conversation with me, so I'll ask questions so we can talk about whatever we are discussing, or just point out that your post is not really a response but you trying to change the subject. If you don't want to answer my questions, don't include my post as a quote in your response; just post some off-topic comment, and we'll figure out that you don't want to talk about the subject we were discussing any more, and would like to talk about something different. It is really not that hard. Sort of basic stuff.
Often you make points and ask questions in the same post.  I'm addressing your points. Or I'll answer a question.  I don't have to respond to everything you've said.  That's not how conversations work. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2502 on: November 01, 2020, 07:02:43 pm »

"Asians who kowtow to their governments"...

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2017/12/23/18/tiananmen-square-front.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Hong_Kong_protests#/Hong_Kong_protests_-_Panorama.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/Mass protest held in Taiwan

Voice of America - November 1, 2020

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/hong-kong-opposition-politicians-arrested-over-legislature-protest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Hong_Kong_protests

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Million_Voices_Against_Corruption_President_Chen_Must_Go

Many Asian people are more respectful to authority than Westerners.  China had Emperors before a single Communist party. So the entire mainland CHinese have never seen real democracy. Even the Chinese on Taiwan come from the Emperor past. The Japanese had Emperor's before WWII and still have them afterwards albeit with Democracy forced on them by the West.

The West has a tradition of more independent thinking and personal freedoms dating back to the Magna Carta, the French and American Revolutions, etc. although I think America tends to be more independent than the rest of the West since we are a new nation with an immigrant history, a people, who fled powerful central rule.  Our very constitution is about limiting power of government and protecting personal liberty.  So that naturally supports a people who rail against rule. 

faberryman

« Reply #2503 on: November 01, 2020, 07:05:47 pm »

Often you make points and ask questions in the same post.  I'm addressing your points. Or I'll answer a question.  I don't have to respond to everything you've said.  That's not how conversations work.

Well, you quote me, and then go off topic or are otherwise unresponsive, so I don’t know what the hell you are doing.

Everyone knows why you are not answering the questions and changing the subject all the time, so don't think you are fooling anyone.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:03:14 pm by faberryman »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2504 on: November 01, 2020, 07:15:50 pm »

Disgusting

Yet somehow curiously unsurprising.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2505 on: November 01, 2020, 07:55:54 pm »

Quote from: TechTalk on Today at 05:02:26 pm
Disgusting
Yet somehow curiously unsurprising.

Rather than sniggering like two old ladies behind someone's back, why don't you address my points in #2504 like men and tell me why they are wrong.

TechTalk

« Reply #2506 on: November 01, 2020, 08:10:12 pm »

Rather than sniggering like two old ladies behind someone's back, why don't you address my points in #2504 like men and tell me why they are wrong.

Because your frequent, well-worn, and recycled ethnic stereotypes have worn out their welcome with me quite some time ago and are undeserving of any more attention than the one word response that I already gave.

I don't have to respond to everything you've said.  That's not how conversations work. 

I don't have to answer your questions of which there are too many.  You're not interviewing me.  Make your points and I'll make mine. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:18:14 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2507 on: November 01, 2020, 08:19:56 pm »

Because your frequent, well-worn, and recycled ethnic stereotypes have worn out their welcome with me quite some time ago and are undeserving of any more attention than the one word response that I already gave.

Copout.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2508 on: November 01, 2020, 09:13:52 pm »

Many Asian people are more respectful to authority than Westerners.  China had Emperors before a single Communist party. So the entire mainland CHinese have never seen real democracy. Even the Chinese on Taiwan come from the Emperor past. The Japanese had Emperor's before WWII and still have them afterwards albeit with Democracy forced on them by the West.

The West has a tradition of more independent thinking and personal freedoms dating back to the Magna Carta, the French and American Revolutions, etc. although I think America tends to be more independent than the rest of the West since we are a new nation with an immigrant history, a people, who fled powerful central rule.  Our very constitution is about limiting power of government and protecting personal liberty.  So that naturally supports a people who rail against rule.

How then do you explain slavery, Jim Crow and segregation?

You don't get out much, do you? It's not 1926 anymore.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2509 on: November 01, 2020, 10:16:48 pm »

Copout.

Nope. Not a copout at all.
For further on this topic, see TT's earlier simile regarding calculus and bricks.

Manoli

« Reply #2510 on: November 02, 2020, 01:36:22 am »

Because, quite apart from a host of reasons, this thread is, as the title says, is about science snd damage limitation, intended as a forum where we can keep abreast of developments and efficacy in treating and curtailing this epidemic.

It was never to be a chit-chat show nor a place where you can give free vent to more of your incessant blather. Time for a time-out.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2511 on: November 02, 2020, 03:48:32 am »

This topic has, sadly, been irredeemably polluted and is therefore closed. It will not re-open.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126]   Go Up