Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 126   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS  (Read 86683 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS
« Reply #1980 on: August 02, 2020, 10:05:36 am »

I think it's fascinating that there are 3.4 times more posts on COVID-19 in the political thread than in the "non-political" (;D uh huh) thread. Evidently the subject has a lot to do with politics.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

faberryman

« Reply #1981 on: August 02, 2020, 11:41:53 am »

I went to the ear doctor because I had an infection.  He couldn't check that over the phone.   As I mentioned, I plan on getting a test from a lab, then let the doctor review it and talk to me over the phone.  That might work.  But skipping an actual hands on physical, especially for old people, could be the thing that kills them.  I have a friend who thought and his doctors thought he had covid.  He suffered at home for three weeks only to learn afterwards his symptoms were from cancer.  He's now being treated months later than he should have been.  There's risk both ways.  There's no simple answer.

Wow, with so many of the horror stories, you sure must have a lot of crappy doctors around where you live.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1982 on: August 02, 2020, 11:47:02 am »

Wow, with so many of the horror stories, you sure must have a lot of crappy doctors around where you live.
Well I live in farm and horse country in central New Jersey.  Maybe I should go to a vet?  :) 

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1983 on: August 02, 2020, 12:58:37 pm »

I think it's fascinating that there are 3.4 times more posts on COVID-19 in the political thread than in the "non-political" (;D uh huh) thread. Evidently the subject has a lot to do with politics.

That's why there is more than one thread, Russ, with the political fatuities strictly confined.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1984 on: August 02, 2020, 01:43:54 pm »

That's why there is more than one thread, Russ, with the political fatuities strictly confined.

Jeremy
You're talking about my thread.  ;)

faberryman

« Reply #1985 on: August 02, 2020, 08:10:36 pm »

You're talking about my thread.  ;)

You do know what fatuities means?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1986 on: August 02, 2020, 11:54:07 pm »

It's almost unbelievable, but there are still people booking and taking cruises. And invariably, there are many new infections on these cruise ships.

Covid-19 has been detected on at least two cruise ships – one in the Arctic and one in the Pacific – just weeks after cruising holidays restarted. At least 40 passengers and crew from the MS Roald Amundsen have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and authorities are trying to contact trace hundreds of passengers from two recent Arctic voyages the ship took.

Four crew members on the MS Roald Amundsen were hospitalised on Friday when the ship arrived at the Norwegian port of Tromsø, and later diagnosed with the respiratory illness. Tests showed another 32 of the 158 staff were also infected.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/03/two-cruise-ships-hit-by-coronavirus-weeks-after-industry-restarts

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1987 on: August 03, 2020, 12:03:57 am »

You do know what fatuities means?
Yes.  You really need to get a sense of humor. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1988 on: August 03, 2020, 12:04:47 am »

It's almost unbelievable, but there are still people booking and taking cruises. And invariably, there are many new infections on these cruise ships.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/03/two-cruise-ships-hit-by-coronavirus-weeks-after-industry-restarts
And people say Americans are foolish.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1989 on: August 03, 2020, 08:32:29 am »

There is never a shortage of fools anywhere.
--
Robert

hogloff

« Reply #1990 on: August 03, 2020, 08:58:23 am »

The cruise industry out of Vancouver has been closed at least until October.

hogloff

« Reply #1991 on: August 03, 2020, 09:00:46 am »

Who says those aren't Americans on those cruises?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1992 on: August 03, 2020, 09:28:12 am »

Who says those aren't Americans on those cruises?

Where were the cruises based? Since there are restrictions on travel for Americans to quite a few countries, it might limit their number. OTOH, those restrictions are probably porous.

My brother lives in a semi-rural area north of Montreal where many of the country properties are owned by Americans. He says the number of US license plates around town is no different than it ever was. I believe that property owners from the US can go to their properties but are supposed to self-isolate for 2 weeks when they get there. Maybe some are doing that and many some aren't, hard to police everyone. High compliance helps in the fight against viral transmission.

I suppose it's no different than with crime, in the sense that authorities (police, etc.) can only really keep a lid on crime if the rate of criminal activity is low. If a large percentage of a population is committing a crime, attempts to control it will be futile, as the war on drugs has shown over the decades. So we try to hammer home the way to prevent transmission, keeping up the messaging, but in the end if a large percentage of a population decide to not listen, people will suffer. If you could guarantee that only those who did not follow guidelines would suffer, you could at least find some comfort in that the "correct" people paid the price, but this is not the case with this virus as innocent bystanders will suffer, as is usually the case. So we rely on cooperation, not an easy thing to obtain in general over long periods of time.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1993 on: August 03, 2020, 10:28:35 am »

Alan G:  Know anything about this new anti-viral?

RLF-100
https://nypost.com/2020/08/02/relief-neurorx-rlf-100-helps-critical-covid-19-patients/

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1994 on: August 03, 2020, 10:35:56 am »

A news article in the Netherlands stated that the risk of getting Covid-19 from surfaces like plastic and metal are based on experiments with excessive amounts of the virus ( even buffered to keep alive) that are not found in real life.
Most probable cause of contamination is inside and then in rooms with a lot of people and poor ventilation.
Discotheques, fitness rooms, crowded bars etc;  i would certainly avoid, the same with cruises; confined on a ship for some days/ weeks with hundreds of people.
We see that in the meat factories the virus spreads easely; cold moist air, not well ventilated, where a lot of people are working at the same time.
Also we have a lot of migrant-workers from east-Europe in that sector that have to live in small crowded houses.
Then these workers are afraid to loose their jobs, so work while probably contaminated and the bosses try to manipulate inspections by letting these workers at home at the day of inspection..
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1995 on: August 03, 2020, 11:26:32 am »

A news article in the Netherlands stated that the risk of getting Covid-19 from surfaces like plastic and metal are based on experiments with excessive amounts of the virus ( even buffered to keep alive) that are not found in real life.
Most probable cause of contamination is inside and then in rooms with a lot of people and poor ventilation.
Discotheques, fitness rooms, crowded bars etc;  i would certainly avoid, the same with cruises; confined on a ship for some days/ weeks with hundreds of people.
We see that in the meat factories the virus spreads easely; cold moist air, not well ventilated, where a lot of people are working at the same time.
Also we have a lot of migrant-workers from east-Europe in that sector that have to live in small crowded houses.
Then these workers are afraid to loose their jobs, so work while probably contaminated and the bosses try to manipulate inspections by letting these workers at home at the day of inspection..
Do you have the link?  Thanks.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #1996 on: August 03, 2020, 11:34:21 am »

The cruise industry out of Vancouver has been closed at least until October.

It would have been quite simple to mandate testing before boarding. It took a while, but in the EU it is now a general rule for many countries for air passengers to: take a test up to 72 hours before travel; or in some cases do the test at the airport of destination.

So simple one wonders why it took so long...

hogloff

« Reply #1997 on: August 03, 2020, 12:03:02 pm »

It would have been quite simple to mandate testing before boarding. It took a while, but in the EU it is now a general rule for many countries for air passengers to: take a test up to 72 hours before travel; or in some cases do the test at the airport of destination.

My understanding there is up to a 15% false negative result and when we are talking about a couple thousand people...something will slip through.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1998 on: August 03, 2020, 12:05:28 pm »

Does that actually work?  Major league teams in America have been checking their players constantly.  Yet, the virus seems to break out anyway.  I assume that not everyone who's sick gets discovered.  On a ship, all you need is one sick passenger or crew member without symptoms to spread.  Cruise ships are like Petri dishes for Covid.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1999 on: August 03, 2020, 12:51:19 pm »

Tradeoffs.  Not just economic.  (as an aside, nice photo essay as well.)

"Fear of the coronavirus and the shuttering of clinics have kept away many patients struggling with H.I.V., TB and malaria, while restrictions on air and sea travel have severely limited delivery of medications to the hardest-hit regions."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/health/coronavirus-tuberculosis-aids-malaria.html
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 126   Go Up