Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 126   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS  (Read 86338 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2020, 06:02:18 am »

Pro & con:

https://www.ft.com/content/848c5b44-4d7a-11ea-95a0-43d18ec715f5?fbclid=IwAR2asrB66g5P56NAdz91ucpj57ygrJoroVYC8La4OlIwr1Sgr-3Q853NbJg

Switzerland halts rollout of 5G over health concerns

http://tapnewswire.com/2020/01/5g-rollout-postponed-in-slovenia/

SLOVENIA VOTES FOR LIFE, AT LEAST FOR NOW
Last Friday, while people in 250 cities were preparing for the first Global Day of Protest against 5G, Slovenia became the first country in the world to refuse 5G, at least temporarily, because of objections from scientists and the public. The Ministry of Public Administration had called a four-hour Public Consultation on Radiation Aspects in Ensuring the Operation of 5G Technologies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/52168096

Coronavirus: Scientists brand 5G claims 'complete rubbish'

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2020, 06:04:31 am »

As of today, USA has 26 deaths per million, and Germany 17. There is a good chance that due to limited testing the USA infections are under reported.
When the testing in USA will ramp up, the absolute infection count will go up, and the relative death counts in both countries might look more similar.

Assuming that Germany doesn't increase testing ...

Germany told it needs to massively increase coronavirus testing
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/germany-told-it-needs-to-massively-increase-coronavirus-testing
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

elliot_n

« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2020, 06:37:05 am »

There seems to be a lot of hope that we will have a working vaccine for COVID-19 in the next 12/18 months. How so? After 40 years of research we still do not have a vaccine for AIDS. And no vaccine for SARS, MERS, EBOLA etc. 

Manoli

« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2020, 06:50:11 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/germany-told-it-needs-to-massively-increase-coronavirus-testing

Where does that leave Britain ... :)

on a lighter note, a humorous press analogy:
Whereas Britain is struggling to carry out 50,000 tests in a week, Germany sometimes does twice as many in a day.  Or to put it in footballing terms – and we are talking about Germany, after all – they can test an entire FA Cup final crowd in the same time it takes the NHS to swab a home crowd at Peterborough United. (5,000)

Manoli

« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2020, 06:55:54 am »

Coronavirus: Scientists brand 5G claims 'complete rubbish'
https://www.bbc.com/news/52168096

This one, slightly more than amusing :

One claims 5G can suppress the immune system, thus making people more susceptible to catching the virus.
The other suggests the virus can somehow be transmitted through the use of 5G technology.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2020, 07:02:53 am »

This one, slightly more than amusing :

One claims 5G can suppress the immune system, thus making people more susceptible to catching the virus.
The other suggests the virus can somehow be transmitted through the use of 5G technology.

Let's stay on topic, please. Conspiracy theories about 5G should go to another thread.

Manoli

« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2020, 07:08:54 am »

Let's stay on topic, please. Conspiracy theories about 5G should go to another thread.

Bart,
I didn't need to put in a silly smiling yellow face to highlight how ridiculous the notion is ... did I?
That is what 'slightly more than amusing' implies!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2020, 07:12:46 am »

Bart,
I didn't need to put in a silly smiling yellow face to highlight how ridiculous the notion is ... did I?
That is what 'slightly more than amusing' implies!

No problem with that, but some (other) people can't resist to derail threads, so let's not feed them unnecessarily.
I do agree that some tension relief is useful, but the other thread (with lots of dark 'comedy') just got locked, so we need to be cautious with this thread.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #348 on: April 05, 2020, 07:16:03 am »

This is a layman's overview article about vaccine creation and production, a bit long but interesting, https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-vaccine-the-race-to-keep-millions-safe-from-covid-19-11968262.

In a podcast about 4 weeks ago, Dr, Amesh Adalja (http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/our-people/adalja/) conjectured that it was more likely that immunity from C19 would resemble that of measles than of flu. That is, if you've had the disease, you are immune for a very long time, maybe for life, as we are with measles (with maybe a booster shot). I presume this is because the flu viruses (I assume there are more than one) mutate relatively rapidly but that this is not the case for C19. Does anyone know if that conjecture is true, even just plausible, or is it not possible to know yet?
--
Robert

kamma1

« Reply #349 on: April 05, 2020, 07:17:52 am »

Kamma1, where (as in which region) of Lombardy are you ?

Como.  I came back here from the UK 2 weeks ago.

Manoli

« Reply #350 on: April 05, 2020, 07:19:22 am »

... but the other thread (with lots of dark 'comedy') just got locked, so we need to be cautious with this thread.

Hmmm, just noticed that.
As the OP, I am, of course, more than in agreement!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #351 on: April 05, 2020, 07:20:58 am »

Don't be ridiculous, Bart! Did you you read the links? One theory is that 5G is linked to coronavirus, in the sense that it weakens immune system. At least two civilized states are looking into it (among other health concerns) and temporarily halting it. Also, remember the chart i posted pages ago which shows Switzerland as having the most registered cases per capita?

I am not saying the theory is true or not true. That is why I posted the opposing link at the same time. But it is worth noting that two civilized states are at least looking into it. There are so many things that the current state of science doesn't know for sure when it comes to coronavirus.

kamma1

« Reply #352 on: April 05, 2020, 07:27:07 am »

Assuming that the recommended guidelines are followed, i.e. stay at home if symptomatic and keep distance when meeting other people (who could be pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic, or plainly contagious)...

Yes, but it's not just other people who could be pre- or a-symptomatic, so could you. And you don't have to cough or sneeze to shed it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #353 on: April 05, 2020, 07:33:11 am »

As of today, USA has 26 deaths per million, and Germany 17. There is a good chance that due to limited testing the USA infections are under reported.
When the testing in USA will ramp up, the absolute infection count will go up, and the relative death counts in both countries might look more similar.
It's not clear to me how they decide who to test here in the US. They're  just starting voluntary testing tomorrow in our county in New Jersey at the Motor Vehicle Bureau.  If they work it like when you have to go there to take care of your car, we'll be standing on line for a week.  I wonder if they'll be passing out masks?

MIDDLESEX COUNTY TESTING SITE: Schedule your appointment with Middlesex County Office of Health Services on SUNDAY, APRIL 5 beginning at 10:00 a.m. to make an appointment time for MONDAY, APRIL 6. Location: NJ MVC Kilmer Vehicle Inspection Center in Edison.

Here are the statistics of testing in New Jersey.  It's meaningless without knowing who they're testing.  It seems that they've only tested patients.  The new local testing might be just people who want to be tested.  But even that won't be a random test.  If it's people suspected of having the disease, than it won't show what the infection rate is in the general public.  I suspect we won't know the real rates until this whole thing is over. 

NJ TESTING BY-THE-NUMBERS: As of Saturday, April 4,2020 a total of 75,336 patients tested in NJ. Of today’s number 7,853, there were 4,229 positives and 3,624 negatives.  The overall test positivity: 45% and new test positivity is 54%.  This positivity rate is still way too high.

How do they test in other countries?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #354 on: April 05, 2020, 07:49:01 am »

A task force to plan economic recovery in the US after this is over has been recommended.  Here is an extract from the article. What are other countries doing to address this issue?  America is throwing huge amounts of money at the problem?  But there's no specific plan.  There should be.  How are business owners doing here?

"....according to a recent poll 24 percent of small business owners who have seen their shops closed by the nearly nationwide shutdown expect they will never be able to reopen for business.

What is required and what has been sorely lacking is an effort to balance the medical and economic impact of this crisis. In far too many cases those who even attempt to address the immediate and potentially generational harmful impact this crisis could have on American workers and businesses have been portrayed as heartless ghouls who only care about the stock market, not human lives. But this is not the case.

In fact, the myriad potential for disastrous effects that a second great depression could have on our nation are an emergency in their own right which requires just as much attention as the pandemic itself. Entire communities are poised to be plunged into a nightmare of joblessness, empty storefronts, addiction and even suicide if we do not find a way to get America back working soon..."

https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/04/we-need-a-white-house-task-force-on-reopening-the-economy/

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #355 on: April 05, 2020, 07:52:55 am »

NJ TESTING BY-THE-NUMBERS: As of Saturday, April 4,2020 a total of 75,336 patients tested in NJ. Of today’s number 7,853, there were 4,229 positives and 3,624 negatives.  The overall test positivity: 45% and new test positivity is 54%.  This positivity rate is still way too high.

How do they test in other countries?

If they test primarily suspected C19 carriers, it is not surprising that the positivity rate is high. When they extend the testing to general population or random samples, the positivity rate should drop.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #356 on: April 05, 2020, 07:57:23 am »

The whole testing procedure is pretty much useless because it's not random.  Without it, there's minimal way to tell the infection rate of the general public.  Why isn't random testing going on?

From your linked article:

"...Kotsopoulos said Germany should be far more focused on who it tested, to ensure those “who don’t have symptoms but just want to know whether they have it or not” are not tested, in favour of those such as at-risk patients for whom it is considered a necessity. “It is simply not practically possible right now to test everyone in a population of our size,” he said.

According to the RKI’s guideline, priority should be given to testing medical workers, people with underlying health conditions showing coronavirus symptoms and those in contact with those who are infected, so as to be able to place them under quarantine..."

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #357 on: April 05, 2020, 08:01:50 am »

Yes, but it's not just other people who could be pre- or a-symptomatic, so could you. And you don't have to cough or sneeze to shed it.

Correct, so I'm following the new directive for your region with interest. But while I hope it helps to improve things, I'm a bit sceptical unless some better research becomes available to prove me wrong.

Do the authorities in your region make these masks available for the general public?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #358 on: April 05, 2020, 08:03:44 am »

Bart, Some foxhole humor in trying times is important.  It helps lighten the load.  In reminds us all we're not in charge. In any case, we're not scientists and this isn;t a scientific discourse at Harvard.  We're all just a bunch of photographers dumping our thoughts, opinions and feelings.  Lighten up. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #359 on: April 05, 2020, 08:04:32 am »

The whole testing procedure is pretty much useless because it's not random.  Without it, there's minimal way to tell the infection rate of the general public.  Why isn't random testing going on?

It has been stated many times that the tests are not available yet in large numbers so they probably can't do so at this time. Not in all countries yet anyway.

Presumably hospitals test so they know what to do with patients. The kind of random widespread testing you're referring to has a different purpose and will be done elsewhere than in hospitals, is my understanding.
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 126   Go Up