Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 126   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS  (Read 86370 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2020, 08:21:59 am »

I don't wear one when I go out.  I figure I'm protected because everyone else is wearing them.

How very public-spirited of you, Alan.

Let us hope that you don't catch it and spread it, by coughing and sneezing, because you aren't wearing a mask.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #301 on: April 04, 2020, 08:29:05 am »

A multinational consortium shows promising in vitro trial https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-04-trial-drug-significantly-block-early.html. Early tests show the drug stops early stage cell penetration. I know nothing other than that, a friend found this.
I read this paper when it came out as a pre-print.  This is not a drug but a genetically engineered protein that is similar to the protein binding site of the virus.  It will likely have to be infused as it cannot be given orally.  It's unclear whether it is useful in treating severely ill patients and it certainly does not have any utility for treating those with moderate symptoms to shorten the duration of viral infections.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2020, 08:31:25 am »

How very public-spirited of you, Alan.

Let us hope that you don't catch it and spread it, by coughing and sneezing, because you aren't wearing a mask.

Jeremy
I don't cough or sneeze when I go out.  When I go to the market, I am in and out in 10 minutes and always use the self-check out.  I also live in a suburban, low density, housing setting.  It's good to see that you have not lost your snarky sense of humor and have no comprehension of living and shopping environments here in the US.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2020, 11:08:33 am »

The brilliant Governor of my state of New Jersey has been recommending that family members practice social distancing at home.  Of course, my wife and I have been practicing that since before the virus.  :)

New Jersey governor says people should practice social distancing with 'other family members' at home

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jersey-social-distancing-recommendation

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2020, 11:13:32 am »

The brilliant Governor of my state of New Jersey has been recommending that family members practice social distancing at home.  Of course, my wife and I have been practicing that since before the virus.  :)

New Jersey governor says people should practice social distancing with 'other family members' at home

What about all the people who are trying to find someone with whom they could do the social distancing?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #305 on: April 04, 2020, 11:50:27 am »

What about all the people who are trying to find someone with whom they could do the social distancing?
Actually, I know people, single, who are very lonely having to be cooped up with themselves, not being able to get out. 

faberryman

« Reply #306 on: April 04, 2020, 12:00:19 pm »

Actually, I know people, single, who are very lonely having to be cooped up with themselves, not being able to get out.
I hope you told them welcome to retirement.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #307 on: April 04, 2020, 01:48:06 pm »

I don't cough or sneeze when I go out.  When I go to the market, I am in and out in 10 minutes and always use the self-check out.  I also live in a suburban, low density, housing setting.  It's good to see that you have not lost your snarky sense of humor and have no comprehension of living and shopping environments here in the US.

You cannot possibly know when you go out whether or not you will cough or sneeze at some point during the trip. Rather than take part in precautions, you are throwing the burden on everyone else.

If you believe that masks serve any purpose (and you clearly do, or you would have suggested that everyone else is wasting their time rather than relying on them to do the right thing), your behaviour is quite reprehensible. You are being selfish and irresponsible. "I'm too important to bother with safety mechanisms: the little people can do that. I shall strut as I choose." Leona Helmsley lives.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #308 on: April 04, 2020, 01:56:17 pm »

You cannot possibly know when you go out whether or not you will cough or sneeze at some point during the trip. Rather than take part in precautions, you are throwing the burden on everyone else.

If you believe that masks serve any purpose (and you clearly do, or you would have suggested that everyone else is wasting their time rather than relying on them to do the right thing), your behaviour is quite reprehensible. You are being selfish and irresponsible. "I'm too important to bother with safety mechanisms: the little people can do that. I shall strut as I choose." Leona Helmsley lives.

Jeremy
I'm taking all the necessary precautions.  What works for you where you live may be entirely different from over here.  Have you spent 10 seconds wondering why people are wearing masks but now protective eye glasses since the virus can enter there?  Most people are wearing their masks wrong, some even adjust them while they are out.  I could go on and on and on.  If it will please you, I'll gladly wear a bandana next time I go to the market. 

There are small number of us who are trying to present up to date scientific information here; I don't see you doing this, only scolding people.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #309 on: April 04, 2020, 02:39:38 pm »

The best way to go about it is to consider that you are infected and to adjust you behavior as to not infect others.
Even if you think you are not.

This would be the most effective way to limit the spread. It's even more valid for young people who will be asymptomatic more often, but you never know. You can be asymptomatic but infectious for 2 days prior to starting having symptoms.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #310 on: April 04, 2020, 02:44:55 pm »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #311 on: April 04, 2020, 05:28:18 pm »

How Germany seems to be doing it better, because they learned from others' experiences and had good foresight: https://nyti.ms/2JEVPH6

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #312 on: April 04, 2020, 08:40:16 pm »

The thing with masks is that they are not designed to protect the wearer. A doctor wears a mask to protect the vulnerable patient from infection. If the patient is known to be highly infectious then they wear a lot more, like full covering.

Asians quite often wear masks to not infect others. It is part of their culture, so it is not uncommon to see them all wearing them all the time, especially now.

The mask actually is a collector of germs so it needs to be thrown out or washed each time. Touching the mask to remove it exposes you and you should wash your hands immediately.

In Australia we are being told not to wear masks as they need them for medical people. A few are complaining but all of the experts are saying not to wear them.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #313 on: April 04, 2020, 08:56:00 pm »

In Australia we are being told not to wear masks as they need them for medical people. A few are complaining but all of the experts are saying not to wear them.

Yes, the medical and surgical masks should be reserved for medical staff. However, wearing simple homemade masks or bandanas won't jeopardize the wearers or other bystanders.
I just got a simple mask sewn by a friend, and I know of many other people making masks for themselves and their family. There are plenty of youtube videos how to make simple masks even without sewing.

RichDesmond

« Reply #314 on: April 04, 2020, 09:13:13 pm »

Given that store-bought masks are going to be unobtanium for a while, I did a little research on DIY masks. Turns out blue shop towel is a good material.

https://totallythebomb.com/blue-shop-towels-may-be-the-best-material-to-use-when-making-face-masks

Just made one of these:

https://youtu.be/edQAHCRTIVQ

albeit without the paper clip nose piece. Fairly comfortable

Have a 12-pack of blue shop towel rolls in the garage, so I'm "covered" for a while.

edit: ran out to Office Deport to buy paper clips and rubber bands. The paper clip makes the mask a little fiddly to make, but it does give a better seal, and keeps my glasses from trying to fog up.
I'm using #33 rubber bands and #1 paper clips, they seem to be the right size.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #315 on: April 04, 2020, 09:34:52 pm »

I'm taking all the necessary precautions.  What works for you where you live may be entirely different from over here.  Have you spent 10 seconds wondering why people are wearing masks but now protective eye glasses since the virus can enter there?  Most people are wearing their masks wrong, some even adjust them while they are out.  I could go on and on and on.  If it will please you, I'll gladly wear a bandana next time I go to the market. 

There are small number of us who are trying to present up to date scientific information here; I don't see you doing this, only scolding people.
Now you know how Trump must feel.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #316 on: April 04, 2020, 09:36:47 pm »

How Germany seems to be doing it better, because they learned from others' experiences and had good foresight: https://nyti.ms/2JEVPH6
Germany has almost as many deaths as America on a per capita basis.  We must be doing well too.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #317 on: April 04, 2020, 09:39:51 pm »

The thing with masks is that they are not designed to protect the wearer. A doctor wears a mask to protect the vulnerable patient from infection. If the patient is known to be highly infectious then they wear a lot more, like full covering.

Asians quite often wear masks to not infect others. It is part of their culture, so it is not uncommon to see them all wearing them all the time, especially now.

The mask actually is a collector of germs so it needs to be thrown out or washed each time. Touching the mask to remove it exposes you and you should wash your hands immediately.

So now in America, the word is out that we should wear masks.  That fact is we're all just fumbling around like the blind leading the halt.  There's no way to know exactly what you have to do until it's past the point when you probably should have  already acted.  Isn't that always true about history? 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #318 on: April 04, 2020, 09:50:37 pm »

Yes, the medical and surgical masks should be reserved for medical staff. However, wearing simple homemade masks or bandanas won't jeopardize the wearers or other bystanders.
I just got a simple mask sewn by a friend, and I know of many other people making masks for themselves and their family. There are plenty of youtube videos how to make simple masks even without sewing.
Simple mask were available on Amazon.  I just received in 50 of them.  Why didn't you order some before? Were you listening to Trump. :)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #319 on: April 04, 2020, 10:06:54 pm »

This was a serious thread with useful information for a while.

Alan, place those sophomoric pictures on the other thread please.
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 126   Go Up