Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 126   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS  (Read 86692 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS
« Reply #1800 on: July 16, 2020, 10:49:10 am »

Meanwhile Covid continues to take a toll on the economy.  In America, another 1 million plus people were laid off last week and filed for unemployment insurance.  That means that businesses are still laying off.  Those have to be other than service jobs since they were laid off weeks ago.  That means better paying jobs are going, office workers, etc.  There's no recovery.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/weekly-jobless-claims.html

In Europe, I can't find meaningful recent data.  Does anyone have a link?

In Australia, they're misrepresenting it, claiming about 7% but really about 13%.  In America they're lying too. It's much worse.  I went to Manhattan last week.  There were no buses, no taxis, no delivery trucks, and practically no people on the streets. Is everyone on Zoom working at home?  The office building in normally packed Midtown I went into had one other person I saw go in when I did.  I was the only person on the elevator going up and down.  It was like a ghost town like the scene from I Am Legend movie.
Australia real numbers.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaDXqYXkHjc
America real numbers http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

The countries that controlled the contagion better are re-opening their economies.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1801 on: July 16, 2020, 11:00:29 am »

The countries that controlled the contagion better are re-opening their economies.
The problem is as soon as they do, the rate starts going up because the virus starts to spread all over again.  It's a dire situation.  New York and New Jersey where I live are starting to open up.  We'll see how successful we are.  I doubt it will stay down even though we've done a great job really getting the numbers down.  Meanwhile, my wife and I are staying protected for the most part although I was out photographing yesterday in a deserted area until another photographer showed up.  We're going to wait and see what happens and let others take chances and be the guinea pigs.  At our age and condition, we can't take too many chances. 

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1802 on: July 16, 2020, 11:28:25 am »

The problem is as soon as they do, the rate starts going up because the virus starts to spread all over again.  It's a dire situation.  ...
At the moment Europe is getting better and people are moving again between countries;
If you look at the stats only Russia is a real problem and probably much worse than the stats let you believe.
What yet not has opened in the Netherlands: discotheques; large events; universities...
Restaurants, cinema's  and bars are open since juli 1  but with respect to 1.5 m distance between family/groups and in public transport it is also obliged to wear masks.
At the moment it goes well... we will have to see how things develop when people come back from holiday.
Anyway our economy is at 2/3 i guess...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #1803 on: July 16, 2020, 11:31:12 am »

Sure, but the 15,000 positive cases do not lie.

Don't try and move the goalposts. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1804 on: July 16, 2020, 11:38:36 am »

At the moment Europe is getting better and people are moving again between countries;
If you look at the stats only Russia is a real problem and probably much worse than the stats let you believe.
What yet not has opened in the Netherlands: discotheques; large events; universities...
Restaurants, cinema's  and bars are open since juli 1  but with respect to 1.5 m distance between family/groups and in public transport it is also obliged to wear masks.
At the moment it goes well... we will have to see how things develop when people come back from holiday.
Anyway our economy is at 2/3 i guess...
Is unemployment in the Netherlands only 4.3%?  We'd consider that full employment in America. What kind of unemployment benefits are they giving there? Here, people out of work are making more money because of government handouts than when they were working. Who needs to work?  What a country!? Only in America.  :)
https://dutchreview.com/coronavirus/404000-people-now-unemployed-in-the-netherlands-cbs-reports/

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1805 on: July 16, 2020, 11:57:46 am »

A friend of mine co-authored this very clear and concise piece.

(Jeremy: Let me know if this belongs in the political playpen)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/07/15/why-criticism-dr-anthony-fauci-over-covid-19-misguided-column/5441749002

No, it's apolitical. It has a rather charmingly naïve view of "facts", but that's a separate matter.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1806 on: July 16, 2020, 12:01:55 pm »

No, it's apolitical. It has a rather charmingly naïve view of "facts", but that's a separate matter.

Jeremy
You're posts, Peter, are always welcome in my political thread.   All speech is appreciated, political or apolitical.  We're free thinkers over there.    :)

hogloff

« Reply #1807 on: July 16, 2020, 12:05:17 pm »

The problem is as soon as they do, the rate starts going up because the virus starts to spread all over again.  It's a dire situation.  New York and New Jersey where I live are starting to open up.  We'll see how successful we are.  I doubt it will stay down even though we've done a great job really getting the numbers down.  Meanwhile, my wife and I are staying protected for the most part although I was out photographing yesterday in a deserted area until another photographer showed up.  We're going to wait and see what happens and let others take chances and be the guinea pigs.  At our age and condition, we can't take too many chances.

Social distance, wear masks, wash your hands. If people consider this infringing onto their civil liberties and don't follow these very simple guides...then yeah...you will be in a whole shit load of trouble upon opening up.

hogloff

« Reply #1808 on: July 16, 2020, 12:07:52 pm »

Don't try and move the goalposts.

Not moving any posts. More positive cases...more hospitalizations...more deaths. We see all these 3 occurring which leads me to believe a high rate of positive tests...much more than the % Florida was at just a while ago.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #1809 on: July 16, 2020, 12:09:07 pm »

Of course after reopening the numbers would go up. What is important is to plan accordingly, which clearly was not done in several countries. In Portugal, which is considered now by several EU countries as a "red" trafiic light destination (meaning if you come here you need to quarantine once you go back home), the situation is clearly controlled. Even in the greater Lisbon area, where 3million people live, number of new cases is slowly going down. Now we know that the government did not plan very well, because there were not enough people to make the fast enquiries to trace the contacts of infected people. This is compounded by the fact that there are about 100 nationalities living in the area, often in housing conditions that are not good to keep infected people in isolation. The whole problem is clearly more than a health issue: it has social, economic, and work ramifications that need to be tackled by integrated teams. Thankfully, most new cases are assymptomatic, unfortunately we see some come back on caring homes being infected again.

We are now preparing for a possible second wave in the winter, hiring more health staff and even a Portuguese ventilator has been developed and approved by the repsective heatlh agency.

Otherwise, people are enjoying life again, taking the necessary precautions and following the 3 Cs rule: avoid crowded spaces, avoid close contacts, avoid closed spaces. And wear a mask.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #1810 on: July 16, 2020, 12:21:06 pm »

Last 24 hours:

USA - 67717 new cases, 933 deaths

Last 7 days:

USA: 390312 new cases

Deaths/100000 inhabitants:

USA: 42
Brasil: 36
UK: 68
Mexico: 29
Italy: 58
France: 45
Spain: 61
India: 2
Peru: 39

Source: https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/COVID-19.html

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #1811 on: July 16, 2020, 12:51:53 pm »

Last 24 hours:

Last 7 days:

Yet another UK world-beater.

:-(

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1812 on: July 16, 2020, 02:08:51 pm »

Last 24 hours:

Last 7 days:

Vietnam: 0

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+deaths+in+vietnam&oq=covid+deaths+in+vie&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l6.8263j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1813 on: July 16, 2020, 02:59:23 pm »

Not moving any posts. More positive cases...more hospitalizations...more deaths. We see all these 3 occurring which leads me to believe a high rate of positive tests...much more than the % Florida was at just a while ago.

Yea, right...
Craig Lamson Photo

jeremyrh

« Reply #1814 on: July 16, 2020, 03:08:45 pm »

Trump said: “In Germany, Denmark, Norway,  Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open!” he said.

Interesting.

hogloff

« Reply #1815 on: July 16, 2020, 04:26:28 pm »

Yea, right...

So you are saying the % positive tests have not gone up in Florida? Proof...

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1816 on: July 16, 2020, 04:34:16 pm »

So you are saying the % positive tests have not gone up in Florida? Proof...

Moving the goalposts once again see.  Better luck next time.
Craig Lamson Photo

hogloff

« Reply #1817 on: July 16, 2020, 04:36:15 pm »

Moving the goalposts once again see.  Better luck next time.

Talk...talk...talk, but no action. Come to expect this from you.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #1818 on: July 16, 2020, 07:23:49 pm »

Last 24 hours:

Last 7 days:

The US will soon pass all of those countries in Europe on the current trend. The US has 4 times the new cases and twice the new deaths of Europe each day, even though Europe has more than twice the population.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:11:34 pm by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1819 on: July 16, 2020, 07:52:29 pm »

Comparing today's US counts with Canada:

US - 66,482 new cases, 866 deaths. 329 million people,
Canada - 435 new cases, 15 deaths. 35 million people

Per capita, US had today about 6 times more deaths than Canada
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 126   Go Up