Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 126   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS  (Read 86512 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: COVID-19 | science, damage limitation, NO POLITICS
« Reply #1640 on: July 03, 2020, 01:16:03 pm »

You're contradicting yourself.  Driving high on pot kills innocent people as does driving drunk.  Also, legal pot has increased the use of other drugs.  You don't have your statistics right.  But the main point you ignored is that while working will adding risk due to Covid, at least has more important societal benefits.  You don't put any value on how the economy helps people and families.

please - start a new topic about the dangers of smoking hash while driving; It has NOTHING to do with this topic.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1641 on: July 03, 2020, 01:56:16 pm »

No, you're wrong. According to your "logic" it's OK for a person to drive drunk cos its their decision as a "free" person. Driving drunk is illegal as, I imagine, it would be to drive uner the influence of marijuana. Yet you claim it should be legal for a person to spread a deadly disease if they feel like it? Bizarre.
I never said drivin drunk or spreading a deadly disease is OK.  You're making it an all or nothing situation.  The fact is NJ and NY where I live are opening up.  People are going to restaurants and back to work.  They're taking reasonable precautions.  But infections will spread regardless what protection they take.  Only staying home will stop the spread. But they're willing to put up with catching it.  On the other hand, as a 75 old, I won't take the same risk.  That's my choice so I stay home.

What do you want people to do?  Stay home forever?  How do they eat? How do they pay their bills?  The fact is we're stuck between a rock and a hard spot.  There are no solutions that works perfectly.  We have to take risks according to our needs.  If you're afraid like me, then stay home.  Isolate.  If you need to get out and feed your family by going back to work, I understand.  Be careful, use protection to lower the spread, and go in best health as best you can.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1642 on: July 03, 2020, 02:01:29 pm »

please - start a new topic about the dangers of smoking hash while driving; It has NOTHING to do with this topic.

Yes it does.  The comparison shows that there are risks when people have personal freedom. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1643 on: July 03, 2020, 02:02:54 pm »

Only in America! US students throw coronavirus parties to see who gets sick first — and the ‘winner’ gets money.

A disturbing new trend has hit a group of young students in Alabama: COVID-19 parties.
The parties are a competition where people, who know they are sick with the highly contagious respiratory virus, attend parties and bet on who gets sick first.
City Council member Sonya McKinstry told CNN that the parties are mainly being held in Tuscaloosa. Infected people are encouraged to show up so others can contract the virus on purpose

https://globalnews.ca/news/7132752/alabama-students-covid-19-parties/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1644 on: July 03, 2020, 02:08:05 pm »

Only in America! US students throw coronavirus parties to see who gets sick first — and the ‘winner’ gets money.

when I was young, I used to go stupid sh!t like that.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1645 on: July 03, 2020, 02:11:58 pm »

when I was young, I used to go stupid sh!t like that.

Parties like that could have long lasting effects.

hogloff

« Reply #1646 on: July 03, 2020, 02:14:25 pm »

Yeh, maybe it can go towards helping with their funeral arrangements. Idiots.

jeremyrh

« Reply #1647 on: July 03, 2020, 02:21:55 pm »

I never said drivin drunk or spreading a deadly disease is OK.

Sure you did. You said if people want to go out to work it’s “their business”. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1648 on: July 03, 2020, 04:17:53 pm »

Study finds hydroxychloroquine may have boosted survival, but other researchers have doubts

Dr. Marcus Zervos, division head of infectious disease for Henry Ford Health System, said 26% of those not given hydroxychloroquine died, compared to 13% of those who got the drug.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #1649 on: July 03, 2020, 08:27:08 pm »

Bob, How are Australians meeting socially, publically and at work that are different than Floridians?
Hi Alan,
I can only talk about Australians, but basically we didn't do any of those.

From somewhere in March until about Jun 1 we were only allowed out of the house for 4 things:
To go to the shops (and the only ones open were "essential" services, basically food.)
For medical reasons (but most were doing consults over the phone)
For exercise (basically walking as no parks or gyms were open)
Going to work or school (if you could not do it from home).

Most people who could worked from home and most schools were closed until at least April. Kids did lessons at home.
All clubs, bars and dining venues were shut. Many restaurants (even top end) would do takeaway.
The only interaction I had with kids and grandkids was over Zoom.
No weddings more than 5 people and no funerals more than 10.

Most people took it OK.
There is a Facebook comedy group called Bin Isolation Outing for people whose bins go out more often than they do.

Since June you can do most things with Social Distancing rules of 4 sq metres per person.
We have just had a bit of a spike in one state of Victoria that decided to relax too early  and allowed a protest march. They are not welcome anywhere at the moment.
Everyone else can travel now.
We have only had two deaths in the country since May 23.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1650 on: July 04, 2020, 09:41:32 am »

Study finds hydroxychloroquine may have boosted survival, but other researchers have doubts

Dr. Marcus Zervos, division head of infectious disease for Henry Ford Health System, said 26% of those not given hydroxychloroquine died, compared to 13% of those who got the drug.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html
I just covered this study in my newsletter.  It was not a controlled trial as the UK RECOVERY one was and that one showed no effect of HCQ.  I can point to more negative studies of HCQ than positive ones.  Observational trials have to be taken with a grain of salt.  This trial from Detroit won't change any treatment guidelines.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1651 on: July 04, 2020, 10:06:05 am »

I just covered this study in my newsletter.  It was not a controlled trial as the UK RECOVERY one was and that one showed no effect of HCQ.  I can point to more negative studies of HCQ than positive ones.  Observational trials have to be taken with a grain of salt.  This trial from Detroit won't change any treatment guidelines.
But Dr. Zervos is an expert.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1652 on: July 04, 2020, 12:58:58 pm »

But Dr. Zervos is an expert.

That's an exceptionally silly comment even by your elevated standards. He's reporting the results of a trial and indulging in some gentle speculation as to the reasons why those results of that small trial appear to differ from those of the much larger Oxford study. Only the second, which was obviously tentative, requires expertise; for the first, he could be the office cleaner.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1653 on: July 04, 2020, 01:16:03 pm »

That's an exceptionally silly comment even by your elevated standards. He's reporting the results of a trial and indulging in some gentle speculation as to the reasons why those results of that small trial appear to differ from those of the much larger Oxford study. Only the second, which was obviously tentative, requires expertise; for the first, he could be the office cleaner.

Jeremy
I was indulging in some gentle satire.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1654 on: July 04, 2020, 03:01:44 pm »

Unless a country locks down for the duration, it comes back.

Lockdown ordered for 200,000 in northeastern Spain due to Covid-19 outbreaks
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/04/europe/lockdown-lleida-province-spain-coronavirus-outbreaks-intl/index.html

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1655 on: July 04, 2020, 03:49:21 pm »

The virus situation in Canada is improving. There are only 2 active cases in Nova Scotia, and the other neighbouring provinces are also doing well. The tourists and residents can now travel freely between the four Atlantic provinces.

Soon after the four Atlantic provinces lifted travel restrictions within the region early Friday, heavy cross-border traffic was reported across the Maritimes.

Residents of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island can now travel to any of the other three provinces without self-isolating for 14 days after arriving – a change that has created a so-called Atlantic bubble.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7135085/atlantic-provinces-lift-travel-restrictions/

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1656 on: July 04, 2020, 03:49:40 pm »

Not necessarily, if people observe social distancing (or the use of masks if distancing is not possible) guidelines. Also, testing will alllow quick response containment action.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hogloff

« Reply #1657 on: July 04, 2020, 03:58:48 pm »

Not necessarily, if people observe social distancing (or the use of masks if distancing is not possible) guidelines. Also, testing will alllow quick response containment action.

Yes, contact tracing is key to nip any outbreaks in the bud.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #1658 on: July 04, 2020, 06:41:34 pm »

Also hand-washing is still advisable.  Although direct transmission seems to have accounted for the majority of COVID-19 infections, fomite transmission apparently remains a real possibility, and the consensus expert guidance is to continue to be cautious after touching surfaces that could transmit the virus indirectly.

This is not yet an eradicable virus, but as many European and East Asian governments have demonstrated, it is a controllable one―even while permitting substantial business activity―if sensible precautionary policies are employed.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1659 on: July 04, 2020, 07:05:30 pm »

Also hand-washing is still advisable.  Although direct transmission seems to have accounted for the majority of COVID-19 infections, fomite transmission apparently remains a real possibility, and the consensus expert guidance is to continue to be cautious after touching surfaces that could transmit the virus indirectly.

This is not yet an eradicable virus, but as many European and East Asian governments have demonstrated, it is a controllable one―even while permitting substantial business activity―if sensible precautionary policies are employed.

Yes, handwashing and subsequent disinfection are helpful, in case the other advice has not been followed (especially) by others. Staying home and getting tested when symptomatic is anther one (although people can also/already spread the virus when asymptomatic or presymptomatic). Increased testing of waste/sewer water also helps early detection and regionally focused containment.

The economic impact of this first wave is significant, even in countries that have regained control. But that's mostly due to being unprepared for this novel virus, despite warnings that such an event was likely. International (and local) travel has proven to be an important factor in its spreading.

Lesson learned, one hopes.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 126   Go Up