Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 "Expired" Carts  (Read 2047 times)

Ernst Dinkla

Re: HP Z3200 "Expired" Carts
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:21:42 am »

Peter,

The way I do it : Water + some Windex. Cloths. Good spot for light. Cart exchange setting. 6 right side carts out. Cap removed, do not use that screw behind the lower front panel anymore, that takes ages to remove and replace. Carts back in. Head replacement setting. Lid opened, and head carriage lid also opened. Clean what you can reach, be careful with the electronics at the rear of that station and no excessive spraying near the droplet detector next to the felt strip. There is a little vertical wiper near the felt strip too that wipes the backside of the heads. Clean that too. Close both lids again. Select any setting that lets the head carriage start moving and while that happens spray the wiper carriage, the pads carriage, etc. I let them wet and do not try to clean them further with cloth etc as that would require pulling the power plug at some points and several long power ups. But your case may be different. There is a risk that the head carriage returns fast while you are busy. Be warned. At the end do the head exchange setting again. Lids opened. Dry what you can reach. Including the rod the head carriage rides on. Give it some oil of the right description there. The hinged black lid in the station where inks drips on gets some silicon spray applied with a cloth, so ink will drip off better to the waste box. The sides of the box where the cleaning train rides on gets some dish wash soap for lubrication. Soap usually works well for plastic on plastic lubrication and is not hydrophilic so will not interfere with the inks that an oil or silicone might do when transferred to for example the heads. Soap will disappear at some point.  Put some oil on the sponge that lubricates the rear bushing's path. Check the ventilator at the right side of the maintenance box, it still turns?, not too heavy painted with ink? Last time I took it off here, there is a connector close to it so you do not have to unwind the wire from the PCB at the rear. If you have to take it off then the printer has to be powered down first.  Power it up again to check that the vent turns. Replacing the right side cover goes again through the carts exchange routine.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

T
SOLI  AIR
        D

Peter McLennan

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 12:56:40 pm »

Thanks again, Ernst.  It's certainly reassuring to know there's help out there.

Still otherwise occupied here with Covid-related household duties.  Will begin cleaning the HP this afternoon.
I'm sure I'll have more questions.

The mysterious transparent liquid on the head connection pads still has me worried.

Luckily, Windex cloths and dishwasher soap are in good supply!  :)

deanwork

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 01:09:53 pm »

Could be the Clear gloss enhancer fluid.

Thanks again, Ernst.  It's certainly reassuring to know there's help out there.

Still otherwise occupied here with Covid-related household duties.  Will begin cleaning the HP this afternoon.
I'm sure I'll have more questions.

The mysterious transparent liquid on the head connection pads still has me worried.

Luckily, Windex cloths and dishwasher soap are in good supply!  :)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 09:53:05 pm »

Could be the Clear gloss enhancer fluid.

That was my initial impression, Dean.  Sticky, easily removed with water.  Found on all of the cart interfaces.  No idea how it got from the GE cart to there, though. I rarely used GE.

Tomorrow is cleaning day.  Household duties kept me away today.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 07:54:14 pm »

Gentlemen, I believe I see light at the end of the tunnel.
I spend a half hour swabbing out everything I could reach in the capping station and soaked the felt pad gently with clean water.
Then I ran an "all heads" cleaning cycle with no change.
Then, following Ernst's advice, I started printing all-yellow documents.
Six full-bleed A3 sheets later, I can definitely see that it's more yellow with each print.  A few more sheets and I think I'll be back in bizness. :) YAY!

Many thanks to Ernst and Dean for their help and encouragement.  Living 800 km from the nearest HP service, I'm definitely out on the edges here.

Again, THANK YOU!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 06:41:26 am »

Then, following Ernst's advice, I started printing all-yellow documents.
Six full-bleed A3 sheets later, I can definitely see that it's more yellow with each print.  A few more sheets and I think I'll be back in bizness. :) YAY!

congratulations!
I just bought a very cheap roll of coated paper just for these needs...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 03:11:43 pm »

Spoke too soon.  After printing the half-dozen "purge" yellow sheets of A3, I left the printer idle overnight.  This morning, I made a test photo print and the printer has resumed printing orange instead of yellow. :(

Following this disappointment, I printed a few more purge sheets and yellow has more or less returned, but test photos look awful. Still too orange in the yellows.

Any clues about what might be going on?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »

It is possible a bit of magenta leaks in the yellow chamber-
IOW a faulty y-m printhead.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 06:28:57 pm »

That's exactly what I'm thinking, too Pieter. Thanks. I can see stripes in the Y patch on the diagnostic print.
The head was new in December.  I've contacted HP, but it's going to be a slow process with the current situation.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 06:48:19 pm »

Somehow the printheads seem less reliable than they used to;
I just needed two heads myself; on was replaced under HP guarantee (  max1000ml ink used and 18 months old)
It was 9 months 100ml old and the other - also a Y-M had used 460ml of ink : the Y stopt from one moment to another.
They are made to last 2000ml - but can be used sometimes longer -sometimes a lot shorter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:55:44 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 07:45:04 pm »

Good info, Pieter.  Thanks.  My Y/M head has passed just 35ml. (!)  I'll bet 75% of that has been in the last week, with multiple cleanings and printing all those A3 full-bleed sheets.

What's weird is that the head was printing "quite" yellow last night, but overnight it returned to printing orange.  That sure sounds like ink leaking inside somewhere.

regards, Peter

Peter McLennan

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2020, 11:20:29 pm »

... overnight it returned to printing orange.  That sure sounds like ink leaking inside somewhere.

New Y/M head finally arrived from HP Canada.  Took over a month. Blame Covid, I guess.  In any case, I was right.  The replacement head from HP was defective.  A new one fixed all my Y/M problems.

Also, HP tech support in Costa Rica told me that the sticky fluid on the contact pads for the carts is a sealant, designed to prevent the carts from drying out.  That's two completely different answers from HP Tech on what that fluid was.

In any case, the printer seems back to normal now.  Thanks again to those who offered help and guidance.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up