Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographers Guide and Fine Art Photography Masterclass  (Read 2690 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Photographers Guide and Fine Art Photography Masterclass
« on: March 11, 2020, 12:24:02 pm »

Hi All,

Well I have finally finished writing my first book on Photography and it is now available through Amazon, which you can find through my website at SkyePhotoGuide.com - where you will also find a preview button where you can download part of the guide to give you a taste of what is in it.

I have designed and created the Book as an in-depth, one-to-one Fine Art Landscape Photography Workshop and Grand Tour Guide. Where I take you on a easy to follow way marked tour, to all the most photographic locations I have discovered throughout the North West of Scotland, after nine years of constantly searching with my camera. Including GPS coordinates, Map Reference points and Postal Codes etc. But not only that, I also tell you about any interesting facts or history associated with each location, to try to set the scene for you and help you to capture the best shot of the many hundreds of viewpoints I will take you to. I also describe through a long list of tips and detailed discussions sprinkled throughout the Guide, how to compose and then work through a scene, how to optimise your framing and how to see both photographically and artistically. I then also describe how and when to shoot verticals, horizontals, stitched panoramics, focus stacks, tonally optimised bracket sets, black and white images and a whole lot more, in fact pretty much everything I know. I also describe in easy to understand detail, how to process your images to always get the best results, using many techniques that I have developed myself over the last 30 years of digital image processing and Fine Art Landscape Photography, with many of these techniques never having been discussed before, such as my easy to create and use luminosity selections and masks. I even provide you with a sunset and sunrise compass that includes accurate timetables for the full year and a link to all the updated tide tables for the whole area.

This is the type of in-depth but easy to understand guide to photography, that I would dearly loved to have been available to me when I bought my first digital camera back in the 90's and so I am confident, that this book and the wealth of information and techniques it contains, will quickly become an invaluable and much cherished resource to you, no matter where you shoot in the world.

Dave Hickey
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:29:23 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Photographers Guide and Fine Art Photography Masterclass
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 12:58:44 pm »

Looks good, Dave.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 01:03:09 pm »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 02:14:25 pm »

Congratulations!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 02:24:09 pm »

Congratulations!

Thanks Kers  ;)

You know I have been writing this book for so long now and putting all my effort into creating it, that I fear I might be at a loss for what I am going to do next  :)

Dave

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:05:24 pm »

Thanks Kers  ;)

You know I have been writing this book for so long now and putting all my effort into creating it, that I fear I might be at a loss for what I am going to do next  :)

Dave

Ask Rob ;)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 11:12:44 am »

Ask Rob ;)

Noooooo!     ;)

I think I might start writing science fiction or something, as it's all made up stuff anyway and pretty much anything can happen and any link with reality only has to be vaguely tenuous at best, so sounds about my level  :)

Dave

guido

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 04:11:36 pm »

Dave,

I go from your site to Amazon.uk put in my shipping address and I get this error:

"Sorry, this item can't be sent to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the delivery address or delete the item from your order. You can also see if this item is available for delivery to your address from another seller."

Help!

guido

drmrking

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 06:26:49 pm »

Dave,

looks really great guide book. just bought a copy - hope it arrives soon...

Best,
Mike

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 07:19:29 am »

Dave,

I go from your site to Amazon.uk put in my shipping address and I get this error:

"Sorry, this item can't be sent to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the delivery address or delete the item from your order. You can also see if this item is available for delivery to your address from another seller."

Help!

guido

Hi Guido,

As I have only just set this up on Amazon.co.uk and even though I have tried to tell their highly complicated and completely unintuitive GUI that I would like to sell the book globally, it (Amazon.co.uk) seems to only want to let me sell the book throughout Europe - but perhaps this is only initially, who knows? So I am trying to work around this and may even have to setup another separate account at Amazon.com directly. Also looking at the international shipping rates via Royal Mail, which is the only option I have available to me here on the Island, then the rates for transatlantic shipping comes in at around £10 per book, which is probably around $13 US. However, as I am unable to sell it through Amazon.com at the moment and therefore if I did sell it to you directly myself, I will not be undermining their sales of my book to the rest of Europe, I can then discount their cut of the price of the book against shipping it to you outside of Europe - but please don't anyone else ask me to do this inside of Europe and sell it to them directly with the same postal cost reduction workaround, as I assume if Amazon.co.uk found out I was doing this within Europe, they would probably stop me using their UK website.

Yes I know, this is probably far too klunky a workaround and not something I can continue with over time, but at this moment on a Sunday morning, I can't really think of another way to do this, So leave it with me Guido and I will send you a personal message through Lula and tell you how you can pay for the book and the reduced shipping fee through a Paypal request from me, which you don't even need a Paypal account to pay for the book in this way, as you can just pay through your card to my request and is just using their secure Paypal system to do so.

Hope this all makes sense  :)

Dave

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 07:27:24 am »

Dave,

looks really great guide book. just bought a copy - hope it arrives soon...

Best,
Mike

Hi Mike,

It will be in the post to you first thing Monday Morning and I will make sure I put it through as First Class, because the last one I sent out, I just let the lady in the Post Office put it through her system without me saying anything and when I got home and looked at the the tracking receipt, she had sent it second class for me, which was only about 20p cheaper, so a pointless thing to do I think and I should have noticed. But anyway, if whoever ordered the one where it has been sent second class is on Lula, then please accept my deepest apologies, as it was a genuine mistake on my part and not me just trying to penny pinch for a measly 20p ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:34:17 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

FabienP

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 06:01:34 pm »

Hi Dave,

Apparently the book can't be delivered to Switzerland as well. I just tried placing an order and had the same error message as Guido.

Digging deeper, it seems that the seller needs to do something to make items available for overseas shipping. From the Amazon UK help link:

International Delivery

Amazon.co.uk Marketplace Sellers can select which countries they want to deliver to. If product detail page messaging advises that the Seller doesn't dispatch to your address, or if you see a similar message during checkout, it's likely your Seller has specified UK delivery only. If the item isn't available for delivery to your location you might want to check if other Sellers are offering the same item and can deliver to your address. You could also contact the Seller to let them know that you're interested in purchasing the item. The Seller may then choose to make it available for delivery to your location.

Cheers,

Fabien

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 08:13:07 pm »

Hi Dave,

Apparently the book can't be delivered to Switzerland as well. I just tried placing an order and had the same error message as Guido.

Digging deeper, it seems that the seller needs to do something to make items available for overseas shipping. From the Amazon UK help link:

Cheers,

Fabien

I am so sorry for this Fabien, but I have only just set this up with Amazon and I obviously need to get my head around their overly complicated system, which is quite honestly far too klunky for my old brain to deal with. I have tried adding updates and and text about the author for instance and it simply does not upload them or any other updates and you can't talk directly to someone on the phone etc, only by raising a job order. So please bear with me and I will see what I can do tomorrow, although it will not be until tomorrow evening, as I am going to the hospital 75 miles away to have a trapped nerve looked at, if they haven't locked it down due to the Corona Virus - but if all else fails, then I can ship it to you directly using a Paypal payment request as I have just done successfully for Guido and as discussed above.

You know it really shouldn't be this complicated with Amazon and they are charging enough for me to at least expect them to get it right and be a bit more helpful, but hey ho, I suppose this is the modern world of e-commerce for you, where everything has been designed to be so much easier for us all to use, to the point that it never actually works at all.. I blame the Windows Paper Clip thingmy, because ever since whichever bozo came up with that idea, anything relating to the helpfulness of computers took a nose dive in my opinion..

Dave

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 04:49:11 pm »

Hi Dave,

Cheers,

Fabien

Hi Fabien,

I just sent a request to their (Amazon.co.uk) online helpdesk requesting that the book be made available for shipping across the world, but it says it might take 24 hours to reply, so if you can hang on there for a little while, I can see what they come up with, alternatively, I can sell it to you through the Paypal request option in the meantime if you wish?

Sorry this is not all setup and seamless as it should be, but I will get there if it is at al humanly possible  ;)

Dave

guido

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 10:08:53 am »

My copy of Dave's fine book arrived in the mail. My what a fine book! Fantastic detailed location guide coupled with fine instruction on making more effective landscape images. It is also packed with many of Dave's fine images.

A fantastic resource...

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 04:32:40 pm »

My copy of Dave's fine book arrived in the mail. My what a fine book! Fantastic detailed location guide coupled with fine instruction on making more effective landscape images. It is also packed with many of Dave's fine images.

A fantastic resource...

Guido, you are making me blush with embarrassment  :) :)

But I am so glad you are enjoying reading it and learning from it.

Thank you..!!!!

Dave

guido

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 05:41:50 pm »

No blushing required on this one...

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 10:47:17 am »

I just received Dave's book last night and spent some quality time with it (and a bit of Johnnie walker Blue). Loaded with great information and as has been noted, many of Dave's beautiful photos.
  Well done Dave and Thanks!!!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 07:07:29 am »

I just received Dave's book last night and spent some quality time with it (and a bit of Johnnie walker Blue). Loaded with great information and as has been noted, many of Dave's beautiful photos.
Well done Dave and Thanks!!!

Hi Kevin,

I am so glad the book got through to you OK Kevin and that you are enjoying reading it, as you also enjoy a dram (or two) of Kilmarnock's finest  ;)

And thank you so much for your very kind comments about all of my photos within it, which I originally guesstimated to be around 300 before it went to print, but having since spent an hour or so counting them all, I have now discovered that there are in fact 343 different photos in it  ::)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up