Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm X-T4  (Read 5197 times)

rdonson

Re: Fujifilm X-T4
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 12:17:45 pm »

Naysayers won't care but.... I preordered my X-T4 and associated goodies from B&H.  It will be a welcome upgrade from my X-T2.  Yes, I read all the specs, watched all the "previews" based on pre-production versions from all the reliable sources and my only disappointment is that COVID-19 will likely affect delivery.  I have a horse race in a month that I would love to be taking the X-T4 through its paces at.  The X-T2 has done a good job in the past at the race but better AF and 15fps with the X-T4would be a welcome upgrade not to mention the better batteries.
Regards,
Ron

Peter_DL

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 06:02:00 am »

I was quite loyal to Nikon APSC over the past years
but I have added the Fujifilm X-T4 in order to cover the wide angle range:

Fujifilm X-T4 + 10-24 /4.0
Nikon D7200 + 16-80 /2.8-4.0
2nd body D7200 + 70-200 /4.0
Fujifilm X100F

There is a lot to like with the X-T4.
Although there are some aspects which I do not find ideal:
- the ergonomics resulting from the retro style
- the X-Trans sensor and the inconvenience of having to use the Enhance Details feature in ACR.

Still I could imagine to change over completely to Fujifilm, however, the red badge XF lenses I’m interested in are not particularly lightweight. Hard to justify with the expected Nikon Z6/7s and more S-line lenses just around the corner.

Peter
--

SrMi

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 11:28:07 am »

I was quite loyal to Nikon APSC over the past years
but I have added the Fujifilm X-T4 in order to cover the wide angle range:

Fujifilm X-T4 + 10-24 /4.0
Nikon D7200 + 16-80 /2.8-4.0
2nd body D7200 + 70-200 /4.0
Fujifilm X100F

There is a lot to like with the X-T4.
Although there are some aspects which I do not find ideal:
- the ergonomics resulting from the retro style
- the X-Trans sensor and the inconvenience of having to use the Enhance Details feature in ACR.

Still I could imagine to change over completely to Fujifilm, however, the red badge XF lenses I’m interested in are not particularly lightweight. Hard to justify with the expected Nikon Z6/7s and more S-line lenses just around the corner.

Peter
--

Congrats on the new X-T4, it is a lovely camera. If you are new to the Fuji system, I would recommend Rico Pfirstinger's X-Secret book (Rico is for Fuji what Thom Hogan is for Nikon).
The f/2 primes are very light, and most are of excellent quality. I recommend using Iridient's X-Transformer when needed. It integrates very nicely in the LrC workflow.

rdonson

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 11:33:29 am »

Peter,

I have the X-T4 and I'm very pleased with it. 

I have a number of Fuji lenses with the Red badges being well worth it for me.  Of course not all of my lenses are Red badge lenses.   I moved to Fuji with the X-T1 and haven't used my Canon gear since.  The XF-16-55 f/2.8 is a heavier lens but its more than equal to anything that Canon makes and its on my X-T4 more than another lens.  Yes, I have the 10-24 as well and it a fine lens. 

I love the retro style and find it far easier to use than my Canon cameras.

With X-Trans its best to use Iridient X-Transformer or Iridient Developer for images that need details.  Adobe seems to get closer every few years on X-Trans but no cigar yet IMHO.  I use LrC instead of ACR so my experience may be different. 
Regards,
Ron

Benny Profane

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 11:11:43 am »

XT-30 is the better value right now, if you ask me. Same sensor, which is what it's all about. Save your money for a new sensor in the XT-5 or whatever down the line.

MBehrens

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 09:24:23 pm »

I have the X-T4 and I'm very pleased with it. 
Thanks Ron for the report back on the X-T4. I've been waiting for your impressions. I'm sticking with the X-T2 for now but very interested in the X-T4.
Is there a marked improvement in auto-focus fro T2 to T4? Eye-auto-focus?
A lot of the new features of the X-T4 are video oriented, interested in a stills photographer's impression.

- Morey

rdonson

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2020, 04:28:21 pm »

Hello Morey,

I'm pretty much a stills photographer who once in a while will take a video. 

Overall, the X-T4 seems snappier to the X-T2 for auto-focus overall but I have no way to actually measure that.

Eye auto-focus seems to be a boon and from time to time when I photographing sculptures of humans or animals it will find the eye if I have that feature turned on.  COVID has made me kind of gun-shy of photographing people I don't know. 

There are a lot of improvements for stills over the X-T2 but it probably depends on how and what you use the X-T4 for.  I really don't notice much difference in weight and size but that's me.  Below are things that make my life easier.

Here are some of my current favorites:
- dedicated Still and Movie menus
- HDR shooting where its done in camera can be a boon in certain circumstances.  When I do serious HDR I'm still using bracketing exposures for use outside of the camera.
- the larger batteries are a real boon especially when I shoot sports or wildlife
- the battery grip and charger that displays the charge % is a step up IMHO
- the card slots seem more logical in their placement
- the door to the card slots is removable but I can't imagine using that feature
- the touch screen will be a boon for some but I just found myself touching it when I didn't want to so I turned it off
- IBIS is a real boon since my 16-55 f/2.8 is on the camera more that any other lens - I don't think twice now about shooting slower shutter speeds
- there are more options in the menus
- multiple exposures in camera up to 9 shots
- a big boon was getting the LensMate LM-XT4 thumb rest.  I've used those since my X-T1
- getting the LensMat soft release button is yet another creature comfort for me   
- it comes with a much improved camera strap that I will probably never use
- the swivel screen has its good and bad points.  If you use L-brackets they might reduce the things you can do with the screen depending on your choice of bracket.

I got two L-brackets for the X-T4
- a SmallRig L-bracket that allows me to remove the left side part of the bracket as needed
- a RRS L-bracket for serious time with my tripod or monopod with my battery grip.  I like to take panos with the camera in horizontal or vertical orientation.

- the shutter is very quite compared to the X-T2 and frame rate is considerably faster.

Any questions?
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2020, 07:39:52 pm »

Ron,

Thanks for the great list.

Weight and size is one of my concerns, I really like to compactness of the X-T2. When I tried the X-H1 I really liked its handling and the T4 seems to be edging into that size range. When the H1 was 1/2 price not too long ago, I was really tempted. I'll probably wait for the X-H2 to make a decision, Fuji Rumors I think is expecting it sometime.

I noticed that the T4 has the back buttons shifted one position counter-clockwise. AF-ON is at AE-L, AE-L is at Q, and Q is at AF-L. Did this throw you off at first? AF-ON, is back button focus the default now? On my Canon gear I used BBF all of the time, I have not been able to get accustom to it on X-T1&2. The AF-L button is in a different position on the grip from the body so I am always searching/feeling for it... just doesn't work for me.

Is there still a Boost mode with the grip? Or do the new batteries put in full time boost mode?

When saving RAW+JPG does in camera HDR save the raws and the HDR JPG?

I use Focus Bracketing, any changes to it? I could go read the online manual.. ;-)

I think I read that the IBIS works with the lens IS. Do you find this to be true or do you find yourself picking one?

MBehrens

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 02:13:23 pm »

If you have not seen this article on IR, it has some really interesting info on the X-T4 IBIS and a slew of other items.
https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/09/04/fujifilm-interview-covid-gfx-strategy-shrinking-ibis-300K-cycle-shutter

rdonson

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2020, 06:02:08 pm »

It seems unlikely the X-H1 will be here much before mid to late 2021.  The X-T4 is selling very well and I don't know where it would slot in unless there is a new sensor in the works.

The differences between the buttons on the X-T2 and X-T4 only seemed to take a few days to lock on in my brain.  YMMV

The battery grip now has "normal", "economy" and "Boost" selection.

In my recollection the in-camera HDR saves the all bracketed RAW files and the final JPG.  I only tried that once or twice so my memory may be faulty.   I doubt I'll be using that feature again so I just tested it and didn't commit it to memory. 

Focus bracketing remains the same but better documentation in the manual as to how it works.  Not the greatest, in-depth documentation we'd like to see but enough to work comfortably with it.

IBIS is a real boon.  It is a huge deal with my 16-55 f/2.8.  How well IBIS works with OIS lenses depends on each lens.  If memory serves it depends on how large a "circle" the lens projects.  Some OIS lenses will enable you to get 6 stops when using the IBIS vs. the standard 5.0 stops for some other lenses.  You'll have to do some digging on that though.   I've used the X-4 with IBIS on on all my Fuji lenses without any issues even the 100-400 but I wasn't testing to see how many stops I was getting.   

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2020, 08:32:45 pm »

Thanks. Check out the IR article I linked above, it explains the IBIS dependence on the "image circle" really well.
Yeah, the X-H2 is a ways off. The X-T4 is getting such great reviews that I may just bite the bullet.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 09:52:39 am »

It seems unlikely the X-H1 will be here much before mid to late 2021.  The X-T4 is selling very well and I don't know where it would slot in unless there is a new sensor in the works.

The differences between the buttons on the X-T2 and X-T4 only seemed to take a few days to lock on in my brain.  YMMV

The battery grip now has "normal", "economy" and "Boost" selection.

In my recollection the in-camera HDR saves the all bracketed RAW files and the final JPG.  I only tried that once or twice so my memory may be faulty.   I doubt I'll be using that feature again so I just tested it and didn't commit it to memory. 

Focus bracketing remains the same but better documentation in the manual as to how it works.  Not the greatest, in-depth documentation we'd like to see but enough to work comfortably with it.

IBIS is a real boon.  It is a huge deal with my 16-55 f/2.8.  How well IBIS works with OIS lenses depends on each lens.  If memory serves it depends on how large a "circle" the lens projects.  Some OIS lenses will enable you to get 6 stops when using the IBIS vs. the standard 5.0 stops for some other lenses.  You'll have to do some digging on that though.   I've used the X-4 with IBIS on on all my Fuji lenses without any issues even the 100-400 but I wasn't testing to see how many stops I was getting.   

Hope this helps,

Maybe my memory is faulty but I thought that on X-T4 you can set the initial and the final focus points (and the possibly the steps), and the camera does the rest.

SrMi

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 12:24:33 pm »

Maybe my memory is faulty but I thought that on X-T4 you can set the initial and the final focus points (and the possibly the steps), and the camera does the rest.

Yes, Fuji GFX and X-T4 can do that, and it is a great feature, though the UI is not very good.

rdonson

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 06:48:22 pm »

Focus bracketing is improved over the X-T2 (I don't have an X-T3) but its barely mentioned in the manual (page 88).  Fuji seems to ignore the feature mostly.

The best explanation I've found so far is these on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENYs7udKoz4&t=2s. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0VNCas_PoY
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:57:20 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 06:13:01 pm »

Focus bracketing is improved over the X-T2 (I don't have an X-T3) . . .

Since the X-T3 and the X-T4 share the same processor hardware, the automatic selection of focus-stacking parameters would seem a likely candidate for a backport to the X-T3 via a future firmware upgrade.

Having said that, it didn't take me long to guess with acceptable accuracy the step value and number of frames to use for the kinds of focus-stacking I do.  Attached: azelea flower (about 3 centimeters in diameter) and one of my wife's sculptures (18 inches high).

rdonson

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 07:58:26 pm »

Nice work, Chris!!!!!!
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2020, 08:14:37 pm »

Nice work, Chris!!!!!!

Thanks.  The X-T3 made the process a lot easier than it otherwise would have been, and the X-T4 apparently makes it even more so.  Not this easy, fortunately (note date of post), so we may have a few years yet before the eye behind the viewfinder becomes completely redundant.

rdonson

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2020, 05:42:15 pm »

Chris,

That's a good link about AI.  I don't think AI as a threat to our photography practice anymore than I feel that AI in smart phones is challenging our pursuit of photography.  With luck it may aid some functions in our cameras to improve focus, IBIS, exposure, eye tracking, etc.   It's hard for me to see AI in a camera as seriously jeopardizing our creativity. 

What I do see coming is more AI in post processing.  I must admit that I like what I can do with Skylum Luminar 4.3.  The AI is an assistant in my mind.  It saves me hours of effort in PS to achieve my desired look.  Its far from perfect now and its a bit of a pig on computing resources but but I'm looking forward to the advancements that are coming.  I'm sure Adobe will rise to the occasion as well since they're already using AI for certain tasks. 
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up