Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kaspersky Internet Protection on Apple iMAC desktop  (Read 2311 times)

degrub

Re: Kaspersky Internet Protection on Apple iMAC desktop
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 05:51:02 pm »

:D ;D
yeah well, Mac OS, OSX, etc. are a tiny fraction of the computing world. The money is just not there since the target is relatively small compared to MS os systems. So "safety by obscurity" in a sense. There are still nasty things that can happen through the browser even though Apple does a pretty good job of it. RDonson has pretty good advice if you don't want to invest in the kaspersky, norton, etc. world.

If nothing else, you can reduce the chance of passing something to an unfortunate windows user.... >:(

no flame war needed.  ;D ;)  :o everyone has their experiences good and bad on both systems with and without.

Joe Towner

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2020, 06:37:47 pm »

Hey Alan,

So Windows and anti-virus programs go back to the start of viruses.  Literally can't separate the two of them, always been an issue, thus why folks have always purchased products like Norton Anti-Virus, McAfee Anti-virus, etc.  Mac's had a number of issues back in the System9 days (way back in the 90's, before OS X) but since the move to the OS X operating system has been relatively safe.  Part of that is a numbers game, there are just a lot more PC's out there to infect.  The other part is that Mac's don't run PC software, so it's requires different .

The current situation with security products is that they're more focused on malware, ransomware and other types of hijacks that either hold your computer for ransom, have you call 'Microsoft' to get them to fix it for a fee, or to be a 'bot' as part of a larger network of infected computers that can be controlled.  Mac's have a few security threats, but as a whole Apple does a good job keeping the system pretty clean.  This is why you can lock down your Mac to only install software from the App Store, much like on an iPhone.  There are some bad software packages out there, but you have to actively install them to become infected.  So downloading random software off the internet that claims to be a crack for Adobe Photoshop, or a 'Flash Player update' that pops up on a website is the most common source of infections.

MalwareBytes is a software company that produces a great scanning tool for malware for both PC's & Mac's.  The report is a great summary of the types of infections out there, and it shows the types of infections people get.
t: @PNWMF

armand

• Photos
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2020, 06:46:08 pm »

Mac is simply superior in every respect.

In all these years, since I switched to Mac, probably 10-15 years ago, I have never had any issue with viruses, malware, or any other crap. I don't know why you are obsessing. You have a Mac. Relax. It just works. Doesn't need daily babysitting like Windows.

Funny guy!

I've played with my friend's Macs and I've been less than impressed with their approach on things. And this is coming from somebody who used various Linux distros for a while, a hobby I gave up on just because for many years now Windows just works. Of course if you don't what you are doing I guess a Mac could be see as better than others  ;)  I did take from Mac the taskbar at the top so they are good as something  ;D

Joke aside you do have to use more common sense for Windows than Mac, but with this taken care of the viruses are not such a big deal. I never got an infection on my "serious" systems. I do have Norton Security running in the background and it's usually self sufficient. By common sense I mean you shouldn't have a trigger finger to click things you don't know what they are or have a good idea where they are coming from.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 07:07:10 pm »

Well, I loaded Kaspersky in the MAC.  I paid for three computer in their package, so I might as well use it.  I 've used Kaspersky for over 5 years in my Windows system without infections or viruses.  I always had problems before with McAfee and Norton.  The Russians know their business.  :) 

I've never run a Mac.  Only used Windows for 25 years.  It's my wife's and I don;t want to learn Apple's operating system, frankly.  I told her to get Windows so I could help her.  But she wanted Apple because she has an iPhone.  I've already spent too much time on it.  I just connected WD My Passport backup drive.  I have no idea what's going on; very frustrated.  I gave her the Wacom I just bought for Lightroom so she could draw.  There's very little info I can find on imac.  Like simple things like date of a file.  I suppose it's there.  But I can;t find it.  Things seem hidden like they don;t want you to know anything.  ALso, they want to send everything to the cloud. Leave me alone.   >:(

I'm not angry at anyone here.  Just frustrated with the iMac.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 08:23:15 pm »

Well, I loaded Kaspersky in the MAC.  I paid for three computer in their package, so I might as well use it.  I 've used Kaspersky for over 5 years in my Windows system without infections or viruses.  I always had problems before with McAfee and Norton.  The Russians know their business.  :) 

I've never run a Mac.  Only used Windows for 25 years.  It's my wife's and I don;t want to learn Apple's operating system, frankly.  I told her to get Windows so I could help her.  But she wanted Apple because she has an iPhone.  I've already spent too much time on it.  I just connected WD My Passport backup drive.  I have no idea what's going on; very frustrated.  I gave her the Wacom I just bought for Lightroom so she could draw.  There's very little info I can find on imac.  Like simple things like date of a file.  I suppose it's there.  But I can;t find it.  Things seem hidden like they don;t want you to know anything.  ALso, they want to send everything to the cloud. Leave me alone.   >:(

I'm not angry at anyone here.  Just frustrated with the iMac.

Sorry to hear that, I guess that's the Mac bliss.
I thought I might be running into this kind of issues from somebody who's been on Windows for a long time so I held on making the switch. I didn't feel like paying more to get frustrated. The MacBook Pros are tempting though ...

I might have mentioned this before, but few years ago I tried to transfer files from an SD card to an external drive (older MacBook, still had an SD slot); it only copied some of the files despite the fact that I selected all the photos. That was a big F in my book.

Joe Towner

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 11:16:19 am »

There's a number of youtube videos that'll cover some of the basics with you - help you translate from pc to Mac.  For example, getting 'file properties' is called 'get info'.  'Finder' is a combo of file explorer and the start menu.

To prevent the whole 'send everything to the cloud' go to the Apple in the top left, click that, then click 'System Preferences' just below it.  Now in the system preferences, it's equal to the old Control Panel, go under 'iCloud'. In here deselect iCloud Drive - should be a slider that's either green (enabled) or gray (disabled). It'll pull down any files it uploaded and you're good to go.

t: @PNWMF

rdonson

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 04:21:06 pm »

Alan,

I’m a retired IT guy and I’ve used just about all the operating systems out there over the years from mainframes to military stuff.

I left Windows about 8-9 years ago and it’s been great. The transition was only frustrating when I expected MacOS to work exactly like Windows.  First, I would bet that dang few Mac users ever delve into the OS itself.  Quite likely that very few Windows users get into the OS itself either.  Most simply use the GUI and honestly it’s not radical a change from Windows if you are open to learning.

As mentioned there are a lot of resources available on making the change.  Apple itself provides a lot of help online to make the switch.
Regards,
Ron

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 05:13:39 pm »

The only reason I'm involved with the imac is because my wife uses it.   I still have my Dell Windows system and it works great.  I'm not replacing it and there's no practical reason.   But I appreciate the help with the apple.   But I wish my wife used a windows so I wouldn't have to deal with two systems.

Wouldn't it be better to work with the menus on two cameras from the same manufacturer rather than having two cameras from two manufacturers?

rdonson

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 08:32:27 pm »

Alan,

Time for your wife to take responsibility for her purchase and learn how to use the Mac herself???   :) ;)
Regards,
Ron

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 08:34:47 pm »

Alan,

Time for your wife to take responsibility for her purchase and learn how to use the Mac herself???   :) ;)
Tell me about it, Ron. :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 03:06:21 am »

Tell me about it, Ron. :)

Alan, seems your wife has a good taste in computers. And husbands. ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 12:45:01 pm »

Husbands.  Yes.  Not sure about computers. 😁

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 02:11:53 pm »

I never used a standard virus scanner on my mac, only incidental and what i noticed- it may contain virusses if you communicate a lot with windows people- so then you may help to spread them while it does not affect the mac.
The anti virus software may slowdown you computer since it comes in between everything... I work since 1984 on a mac...
What i do use is Firefox that cancels tracking coockies and Little Snitch that prevent programs to send information out of you computer.

One good thing of an iPhone i that it does not track you (hundreds times a day), unless you have a google account+ software  and a facebook account + software on your phone.
The iCloud is a pain in the ass you have to disable it in the system preferences ( under the apple symbol)

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up