Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting debate about street Photography  (Read 9479 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Interesting debate about street Photography
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 07:29:34 am »

https://petapixel.com/2020/02/05/fujifilm-pulls-x100v-promo-video-after-backlash-over-photogs-shooting-style/

Hi Ivo,
Thank you for sharing.

I watched the video and that's not my brand of street. This is more like spraying or cropdusting a field in the hope of a magic crop. Most of those shots are going to be hands and shoulder straps and partial faces. To me nothing meaningful...

Peter

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 07:57:32 am »

Thanks, Ivo. I'm always interested in seeing material about street photography, but it's pretty obvious that the people who put this together haven't a clue as to what street photography is all about.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 11:25:42 am »

Hi Ivo,
Thank you for sharing.

I watched the video and that's not my brand of street. This is more like spraying or cropdusting a field in the hope of a magic crop. Most of those shots are going to be hands and shoulder straps and partial faces. To me nothing meaningful...

Peter

Not really, Peter. Tatsuo’s style is very recognizable. Men can elaborate about how he works, but stating that ‘who put this together doesn’t have a clue’ as some think, is nonsense.
Check out his website.
https://www.tatsuosuzuki.com
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:32:06 am by Ivo_B »

RSL

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 11:45:18 am »

There's nothing wrong with his photography, Ivo. It just isn't street photography.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 04:57:25 pm »

Not really, Peter. Tatsuo’s style is very recognizable. Men can elaborate about how he works, but stating that ‘who put this together doesn’t have a clue’ as some think, is nonsense.
Check out his website.
https://www.tatsuosuzuki.com

I Know his work and I do like it. It's just not the photography that I prefer.
Peter

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 12:32:01 am »

His work is amazing. As a person who grew up deep rural and has lived in many cities and still lives in a city it perfectly captures the random chaos I experience moving around a city.

A long way from the incomprehensible dullness of images nervously made at flea markets, farmers markets and tourist restaurants.

I find it inspiring.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 04:09:25 am »

His work is amazing. As a person who grew up deep rural and has lived in many cities and still lives in a city it perfectly captures the random chaos I experience moving around a city.

A long way from the incomprehensible dullness of images nervously made at flea markets, farmers markets and tourist restaurants.

I find it inspiring.

Yes, and shows the dividing line between the truly dedicated and the wannado.

I found his Tokyo lot by far the best of the galleries, probably because he understands his own place better. I'm not sure how I'd classify his work - it certainly does show chaos and also makes me glad I don't live in those areas.

Whilst I enjoy looking at that kind of work, I don't really think I'd want to do it. I prefer the beautiful in life rather than the hard and ugly, which is not to say that hard and ugly is not exciting; it just depends where you want to spend your time.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 08:54:07 am »

Results are good, however unsettling his method might be.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 10:05:39 am »

Results are good, however unsettling his method might be.

I find his eyebrows the most unsettling thing.  ;D check out the clip

No, agreed.
I like his photography a lot and it is contemporary street photography. His ‘style’ is another thing.

The discussion is about his style and the fact Fuji decided to withdraw his  clip from the X100V campaign.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 10:07:36 am »

... Fuji decided to whit draw his  clip from the X100V campaign.

Another win for terrorists (SJW)  :(

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 11:43:37 am »

Another win for terrorists (SJW)  :(

No, for political correctness, the one aspect of it that I find myself in some sympathy with most of the time.

It's a form of assault, and an invasion of the personal freedom to walk around unmollested by rude, camera-toting weirdos.

Rob

RSL

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:43 am »

I agree, Rob. As I said in On Street Photograhy: "One thing most of us shouldn’t do is walk down the street like Bruce Gilden, wearing a mesh photographer’s vest, carrying a camera in one hand and a flashgun in the other, shoving the camera and flashgun into people’s faces and blinding them. I’m always amazed when I see a decent street picture by Gilden, and I’m always amazed when I realize Gilden’s still alive."

But that doesn't mean street photography should be banned. Real street photography, as opposed to this kind of thing can show us the attitudes of our forbears. Again, from my article: ". . .people change; it’s not just their surroundings and the way they dress that change. Their attitudes toward life change, and really good street photography can give later generations a revealing glimpse at the attitudes and the outlook of their forebears."

What this guy is doing isn't street photography. It's his own way of looking at the particular chaos around him. He may not be wearing a photographer's vest or carrying a flashgun, but his approach is very close to Gilden's. What he's doing is legitimate, but it's not street photography.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 01:44:33 pm »

I agree, Rob. As I said in On Street Photograhy: "One thing most of us shouldn’t do is walk down the street like Bruce Gilden, wearing a mesh photographer’s vest, carrying a camera in one hand and a flashgun in the other, shoving the camera and flashgun into people’s faces and blinding them. I’m always amazed when I see a decent street picture by Gilden, and I’m always amazed when I realize Gilden’s still alive."

But that doesn't mean street photography should be banned. Real street photography, as opposed to this kind of thing can show us the attitudes of our forbears. Again, from my article: ". . .people change; it’s not just their surroundings and the way they dress that change. Their attitudes toward life change, and really good street photography can give later generations a revealing glimpse at the attitudes and the outlook of their forebears."

What this guy is doing isn't street photography. It's his own way of looking at the particular chaos around him. He may not be wearing a photographer's vest or carrying a flashgun, but his approach is very close to Gilden's. What he's doing is legitimate, but it's not street photography.

And here we go again.

::)

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 02:09:01 pm »

And here we go again.

::)

Of course, the problem of the rogue photographer spoiling it for others has never gone away, and is stlll very much with us. I am not sure what your position is on this: do you believe that because a guy has a camera in his hands he is entitled to do anything he wants to do regardless of how it impacts upon other people, his "subjects" or what some might see as his victims?

It sometimes helps clear the mind if one brings the matter right up close and personal: how would you react if the guy did it to your daughter?

Even as an old man I think I would have something to say to the guy.

People are not just photographic props to be used as desired.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 02:54:39 pm »

... how would you react if the guy did it to your daughter?...

I would approach him, give him my email address, and ask him to send me the pictures.

Whoever is in public space is a fair game.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 03:10:28 pm »

I would approach him, give him my email address, and ask him to send me the pictures.

Yeah, right; you forgot the :-) part. Coming from European roots, both of us, I don't buy that for one moment.

Public space is fair game. Really? Interesting new defence for flashers, child-assault etc.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 03:18:58 pm »

... Public space is fair game. Really? Interesting new defence for flashers, child-assault etc.

Oh, please, Rob! There is  no way you can honestly connect what I said with criminal behavior.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 05:08:48 pm »

Of course, the problem of the rogue photographer spoiling it for others has never gone away, and is stlll very much with us. I am not sure what your position is on this: do you believe that because a guy has a camera in his hands he is entitled to do anything he wants to do regardless of how it impacts upon other people, his "subjects" or what some might see as his victims?

It sometimes helps clear the mind if one brings the matter right up close and personal: how would you react if the guy did it to your daughter?

Even as an old man I think I would have something to say to the guy.

People are not just photographic props to be used as desired.

No, I don’t think a camera is a license to assault others space. I strongly believe that my freedom ends where yours start, and visa versa.

But there is something to consider in this discussion. Can you tell us what you think of this picture of Nan Goldin?

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 05:10:34 pm »

This is not the case in a fair part of theworld.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up