Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wavelight Pano  (Read 1042 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Wavelight Pano
« on: January 26, 2020, 04:58:31 am »

I can't believe it's taken me this long to work on this... It's because my old computer struggled with 6-shot panos of 45mp data... every adjustment was a pain. Now I'm on AMD's 3900x and have the 3950x in the mail to me... these things are beast mode.

I have more work to do on this image... But it's late and I've looked at it too long, so I thought I'd ask for thoughts?
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

bobfriedman

Re: Wavelight Pano
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 06:55:52 am »

I like the composition and threatening clouds, perhaps evening out the foreground exposure would balance the image?  Moab?

Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 10:50:47 am »

I can't believe it's taken me this long to work on this... It's because my old computer struggled with 6-shot panos of 45mp data... every adjustment was a pain. Now I'm on AMD's 3900x and have the 3950x in the mail to me... these things are beast mode.

I have more work to do on this image... But it's late and I've looked at it too long, so I thought I'd ask for thoughts?

Curious, why are going for the 3950x when you already have the 3900x? I mean I get it’s a little faster but it’s 50% more expensive.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CPU-performance-AMD-Ryzen-9-3950X-1611/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Lightroom-Classic-CPU-performance-AMD-Ryzen-9-3950X-1612/

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 01:07:37 pm »

Now that I took a look on a bigger monitor I think it mostly fine, you can always keep adjusting stuff but with diminishing returns. One area that maybe I would spend more time is the left upper on the distant hills which seem to be a little in limbo, at this size looks that they either need to be less contrasty/clear or the opposite (artistic choice), because they seem to be neither here or there.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 02:47:31 pm »

Very nice shot.  I would ever so slightly take down the brightness of the sky on the horizon where the rocks meet the sky and open up the shadows a tiny bit in the foreground.  I think those adjustments would balance it out a bit more. Just my opinion.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 05:45:50 pm »

Lovely moment. Imagine a wall filled with this!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 07:04:02 pm »

Astounding, as usual, maddog

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 08:47:52 pm »

Well done.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 02:06:03 am »

Very nice shot.  I would ever so slightly take down the brightness of the sky on the horizon where the rocks meet the sky and open up the shadows a tiny bit in the foreground.  I think those adjustments would balance it out a bit more. Just my opinion.

I like it very much, and find it even better with more opened shadows.

Thierry

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 03:00:03 am »

@Wolfman - Interestingly enough I've ended up doing the exact opposite.

"Sky" attached is the previous dark exposure. "Foreground" attached is a current light exposure. Same 6 shot stitch, just different processing for the two areas... and one of the reasons I no longer use GND filters.

I've been working slowly towards what I think of as "from the  eye" processing. Our eyes can see something like 20 stops of dynamic range. To get that kind of range in a photo I need the brights as high as possible without blowing out, and darks as dark as possible while retaining detail. So I brightened up the sky to allow it to match better with a light foreground. As you can see with that type of sky, the foreground would have to be very dark to match.

I also took out the blue saturation in the sky and evened out the color warmth a bit to adjust for realistic color. One of the biggest problems is converting to JPG, which dramatically shifts color, so I spent a lot of time working on calibrating the color shift. I also brought in some orton, and color soft light to accent edges that would have caught the light. As we might see "from the eye"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:32:29 am by maddogmurph »
Maddog Murph

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 04:31:26 am »

Excellent work.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 12:51:25 pm »

The first of the batch of four looks much the best, to my eyes - and it's damn good, too.

Jeremy

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 12:55:13 pm »

Awesome shot. Suggestions are probably worth exploring, but it's pretty sweet as-is.
-MattB

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 01:19:42 pm »

maddogmurph.......No matter what it's a great image.....I appreciate your eye.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 02:05:28 pm »

maddogmurph.......No matter what it's a great image.....I appreciate your eye.

And your dedication to accessing beautiful, if difficult, locations.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 05:07:32 pm »

I think that Pano2 jpeg is slightly better save for the really saturated red cloud cluster on right - might have toned that down a bit. One issue is the composition which is of course "moot". "If possible" I would have tried this with camera lower so that the top of principal conical form nearest the viewer was breaking slightly above the distant ridgeline. As it is, the top just dies in that line and has no "relief". The tops of the conical form to the left and those to the right all are distinctly seen if you will. I think that principal conical shape is a very powerful part of this tableau and needed to be distinct (breaking ridgeline) especially since it is mostly in shade along with it's surrounding areas.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 11:42:49 pm »

The first of the batch of four looks much the best, to my eyes - and it's damn good, too.

Jeremy
I agree.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

thierrylegros396

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 02:43:18 am »

Jeremy

+2

Thierry

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 08:06:11 pm »

Jeremy

Yeah... I guess I didn't really disclose that was the final edit... Glad you picked that one after all that work!! The others were just to show the dark vs light blend essentially to illustrate why I brought the sky up rather than down for Wolfman.
Maddog Murph

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 01:52:44 pm »

Excellent shot and especially the final version lower down the thread - do you think your sluggish computer is due to the AMD chip? The only reason I ask this, is because I am running an old (10+ years) computer but with the original Intel i7 chip with 16gb of RAM and even though I quite often stitch 10 vertical image panos or more using Sony A7R2 uncompressed raws, which are huge, it still runs at acceptable speeds and isn't sluggish at all. But I do only use this machine for image processing and so it has no other programs etc running in the background, but I have no problem creating 2gb or more sized panos and have quite a few stored on my HDD and everything still runs pretty well for me, so just wondering if it is an AMD issue or something that is causing you problems?

Dave
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up