Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixed Media  (Read 1497 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Mixed Media
« on: January 25, 2020, 01:10:05 pm »

Well, inside my post at least: oil on canvas and photography. [size=78%]But one common subject: faces illuminated by a phone or computer screen.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Wandering through downtown Belgrade the other day, I stumbled upon an exhibition opening by a young artist [/size]Ivan Milenković, [/font][/size]that seems to share the same fascination as myself with faces lit by a phone or computer screen. He uses oil on canvas, I photographs. [/font][/size]I am pairing some of his work with my photographs.[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
In the third pairing, the artist is posing if front of his self-portrait.[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, .sfnstext-regular, sans-serif]P.S. There is something absolutely funky going on with the forum software. Composing a post has become a nightmare.[/font]

Rob C

Re: Mixed Media
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 02:15:58 pm »

I've just posted without problems; perhaps a red star is watching you from above?

rabanito

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 01:44:13 pm »

[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, .sfnstext-regular, sans-serif]P.S. There is something absolutely funky going on with the forum software. Composing a post has become a nightmare.[/font]

When all else fails, read the instructions

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 01:54:33 pm »

Meaning?

rabanito

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 04:44:13 pm »

Meaning?

Hmmm... it's an old saying...
But:
Quod natura non dat, rabanito non praestat...

John Camp

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 04:54:02 pm »

One of the interesting things, in a bad way, about contemporary art (aside from non-representational art which simply isn't involved) is that it rarely shows things as they are. It all seems to look back -- to the impressionists, or perhaps to a variety of European expressionists, but you don't see much decent contemporary painting or photography showing computers or modern cars or the inside of a Starbucks or people walking along the street peering at their phones or doing many of the things that people do every day. I find both those paintings and your photography quite attractive -- the light is actually quite nice when reflected off a pensive face. It could become a cliche, but hasn't yet. I find it...perceptive.

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 06:38:14 pm »

...you don't see much decent contemporary painting or photography showing computers or modern cars or the inside of a Starbucks or people walking along the street peering at their phones or doing many of the things that people do every day. I find both those paintings and your photography quite attractive -- the light is actually quite nice when reflected off a pensive face. It could become a cliche, but hasn't yet. I find it...perceptive.
Ever other street photograph is of someone looking at their iPhone. Done to death.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 08:34:31 pm »

I didn’t do anything different while composing that post (and another one on the same day) than what I’ve been doing all these years. It was a glitch in the forum software that exposed formatting that otherwise stays hidden and not user-selectable.

What instructions you think I didn’t read?

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 04:32:52 am »

Ever other street photograph is of someone looking at their iPhone. Done to death.

Indeed, but then that's the problem with the genre: it is what it has to be. Only when you remove it from straight street and add another dimension such as fashion (Peter Lindbergh R.I.P.), do you get something different that comes to life, shows some excitement. It's the addition of a motive (as distinct from motif) that allows the creation of a tension, a sense of something happening and caught at just the right instant. In real life, by the time you spot something happening it's already too late: you missed it. That relegates street to the happy accident, which is hardly skill, simply determinaton and a high boredom threshold. There appears to be something somewhat perverse about standing half-hidden behind a lamp post, your eyes trained relentlessly for hours upon a doorway or a poster, just waiting for the right person to walk past, especially if, at the end of the wait, there isn't even any pay dirt.

That's why I think Leiter was, and similar guys today are more inclined towards street art. You don't have to stand and lurk. You can use your eyes whilst walking, which is less challenging than chewing gum and walking. If more folks did the former than the latter, our streets would be safer, except for dog traps on which you can slip and break your leg - or worse - such as bringing them into the car or home. (You could always, of course, if you realise in time that a dog's had you, just abandon your shoes at the car or office door.)

Now there we are: the perfect target for some bright young street fellow: somebody taking that fatal step! Almost as much fun as a banana skin.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 04:43:40 am »

What that has to do with my post, which has nothing to do with street photography?

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 06:39:19 am »

What instructions you think I didn’t read?

Well I'll try to explain
This sentence is a piece of humor, a catch phrase, that has been around for more than 50 years.
I thought everybody has been acquainted with it in one form or other.
Nothing to get excited about. Just to ignore it with a smile perhaps and that's all.
You can replace "read the instructions" with "Ask the forum"  ;)

Hope this helps

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 06:50:21 am »

It all seems to look back -- to the impressionists, or perhaps to a variety of European expressionists, but you don't see much decent contemporary painting or photography showing computers or modern cars or the inside of a Starbucks or people walking along the street peering at their phones or doing many of the things that people do every day.

Painting modern life, objects and people does not make the painting modern...nor necessarily good.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:01:13 am by petermfiore »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:35 am »

Forget how often it's done, look instead at how well it's done.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 07:58:46 am »

Good point.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 11:21:26 am »

There's a question behind that, though: why would you do it in the first place? On a street or in a bar, a café or even within a restaurant it is so commonplace as to be invisible.

Slobodan got something in his nightclub, but that's not street. That's good olde worlde candid à la Doisneau and Ronis.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 11:33:42 am »

What that has to do with my post, which has nothing to do with street photography?

It's to do with John's interesting observation about contemporary art largely ignoring contemporary lifestyle.

Could it be that's the case because contemporary life motifs are basically very boring, with emotion and expression more and more achieved over a screen of some sort rather than face-to-face? There is illustration of this in the recent past, during the era of grunge fashion snappers and the birth of the Kate Moss phenomenon. I suspect that they captured a fairly accurate snapshot of their daily lifestyle, distance from which was a most welcome reality for many of us. Disillusioning enough in quick photographs, why would any but a disturbed painter choose to spend hours, if not days over such a canvas?

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 11:59:19 am »

There's a question behind that, though: why would you do it in the first place?...

Why shoot anything in the first place?

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 01:27:19 pm »

There's a question behind that, though: why would you do it in the first place? On a street or in a bar, a café or even within a restaurant it is so commonplace as to be invisible.

Slobodan got something in his nightclub, but that's not street. That's good olde worlde candid à la Doisneau and Ronis.

Rob

Not doing so, whatever it is because it's commonplace, is the perfect excuse to sit on one's arse in front of a screen, which let's face it is all too commonplace.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 02:51:56 pm »

Why shoot anything in the first place?

Now that's contemporary thought and very interesting for me. Just this morning I found myself with about an hour or ninety minutes of spare time between my shower and lunch. My initial thought was ah, an opportunity to take some snaps. You know what? The next thought was a conclusion: this is all one helluva waste of my time. There really is but one genre for which I retain a thirst, and what I can do on my own is not it. As I realised when my printer stopped being serviced by HP, it might be a blessing in disguise and save me from mechanically churning out print after print, for no truly reasonable reason at all. Sitting at a computer for a couple of hours doing something for no better reason than that I can, is really somewhat perverse.

I suspected that something was up a couple of days ago when I found myself unable to walk back to the car to go home and fetch a camera to snap those twenty-four grounded yachts from Storm Gloria. Premonition of Damascene moment, then.

Asking why can sometimes be very illuminating.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 02:54:06 pm »

Not doing so, whatever it is because it's commonplace, is the perfect excuse to sit on one's arse in front of a screen, which let's face it is all too commonplace.

Keith, I think I have the reply in my answer to Slobodan, above.

Rob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up