Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twisted  (Read 1293 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Twisted
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 04:17:46 pm »

Nevertheless, after having lived with these images a while longer, I agree that the color version is probably the best, for the reasons Russ noted. Thanks again to all of you for your comments. Sometimes it takes a village.  :)

I agree, and I'm very much a B&W fan. I suspect with a little extra processing you could get more separation between the tree and the surroundings without creating something which looks artificial.

Jeremy

Stephen Ray

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 04:36:54 pm »

Well I am now back home looking at these images on my usual monitor, where the crunchiness that has been mentioned is now apparent to me. It is present in the jpegs but not in the master files. So I've made new, better quality jpegs that I'm attaching here.

Nevertheless, after having lived with these images a while longer, I agree that the color version is probably the best, for the reasons Russ noted. Thanks again to all of you for your comments. Sometimes it takes a village.  :)

Since that's out of the way, how about that giant distracting rock in the foreground?

Arlen

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 04:45:52 pm »

Since that's out of the way, how about that giant distracting rock in the foreground?

Sorry, that stays. It's an important part of the scene for me.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 05:42:41 pm »

Sorry, that stays. It's an important part of the scene for me.

It is.

However, how about making it slightly darker and slightly less contrasty? That way it provides compositional balance, but doesn’t compete for attention with the main point of interest.

Stephen Ray

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 06:14:08 pm »

It is.

However, how about making it slightly darker and slightly less contrasty? That way it provides compositional balance, but doesn’t compete for attention with the main point of interest.

The giant distracting rock is only important if one were to title the art as; "Twisted with a Giant Distracting Rock." Cropping the art to a tight square, omitting most of the rock, bringing down the the highlights of what's left of the rock which results to an ideal corner base, vignetting the square, brightening the highlights of the twist, delights Alfred Hitchcock when he asks; "What is this a picture of?"

"Twisted," which I could especially enjoy in my music room along with certain Joni Mitchell records such as Court And Spark.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 12:20:44 pm »

Looks like a real compositional challenge to make the tree stand out of the background.
I think the final color one is probably the best.
-MattB

Arlen

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 04:00:27 pm »

Thanks, Slobodan and Matt.

Stephen, the additional steps you recommended do result in a nice image; though not the one I was after in this case. Apparently you take forum subject titles a little more seriously than I do. Interesting thoughts, nevertheless.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:10:31 pm by Arlen »

Stephen Ray

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 12:39:48 am »

Apparently you take forum subject titles a little more seriously than I do. Interesting thoughts, nevertheless.
Comes from exposure long ago to my local chapter’s version of PPofA print judging and merit guidelines. Entry titles were required and counted heavily in a point system. If a work called “Rhapsody In Blue” was cyan, the entry failed on more than one level. If the entry succeeded on most other aspects, the entrant was educated of faults but encouraged to re-enter the work once they felt issues were addressed. The exercise helped create a lot of strong and confident photographers (as well as their service providers) very quickly, which was a goal.

"Twisted" could easily be an outstanding piece.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 02:14:34 am »

To my eyes, the sky is more interesting and the overall lighting is better in the color version.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Arlen

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 10:45:49 am »

Thanks to all of you once again. I'm continuing to work with it as I have time.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2020, 02:40:02 pm »

Thanks to all of you once again. I'm continuing to work with it as I have time.

I think Slobodan's suggestion of darkening the foreground rock, and blurring it a little, is a very good one.

Jeremy

Arlen

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 05:46:10 pm »

Me too.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up