Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Enlightened  (Read 3107 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Enlightened
« on: December 28, 2019, 10:58:08 am »

#shotoniphone

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Enlightened
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »

Very nice.

I think I need to take some lessons from you on how to take pictures with my iPhone.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 12:53:38 pm »

#shotoniphone

I’m confident you can handle a honest comment. :-)

Sorry, Slobodan, I find this terrible. The whole file is so broken, it’s technically rubbish and the subject is not saving it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 01:38:42 pm »

I’m confident you can handle a honest comment. :-)

Sorry, Slobodan, I find this terrible. The whole file is so broken, it’s technically rubbish and the subject is not saving it.

Fair enough. I am not disagreeing.

A couple of points, though. This was taken in almost total darkness of a night club, where everyone, including the subject, was dancing, from vigorously to barely perceptible. I doubt that a real camera would have produced a better result under the circumstances.

It goes to show why the phone culture is so popular. On the screen size, on the Instagram and Facebook size (i.e., small and compressed) everything looks fine. It is only when pixel-peeping that the faults become obvious.

I used only my phone to post this image (my desktop is still days away). Have I had a chance, my display size here would probably be something like 800px on the long side, not 2048, as was the only option when sizing down the original.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 01:47:36 pm »

They wouldn't let me into a night club.

Stay young.

:-)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 01:50:35 pm »

Fair enough. I am not disagreeing.

A couple of points, though. This was taken in almost total darkness of a night club, where everyone, including the subject, was dancing, from vigorously to barely perceptible. I doubt that a real camera would have produced a better result under the circumstances.

It goes to show why the phone culture is so popular. On the screen size, on the Instagram and Facebook size (i.e., small and compressed) everything looks fine. It is only when pixel-peeping that the faults become obvious.

I used only my phone to post this image (my desktop is still days away). Have I had a chance, my display size here would probably be something like 800px on the long side, not 2048, as was the only option when sizing down the original.

I’m not a pixelpeeper. The strongest pictures I remember where printed on newspaper. Some pictures can survive even this iPhone maltreatment. This one, imo, not.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 01:51:46 pm »

They wouldn't let me into a night club.

Stay young.

With your Invicta? Certainly not! With your Rolex and a bundle of cash, o yes, you would

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 02:27:27 pm »

With your Invicta? Certainly not! With your Rolex and a bundle of cash, o yes, you would

But Ivo, the Rolex, she is but a memory and a prop in a couple of snaps.

I already feel like a fraud with that rhinestone; but I really do use the bezel on these watches. If I don't go for a genuine walk in the real world after lunch, I do it on my terrace, changing rotation every fifteen minutes and lifting two water bottles a few times because I have no skill in walking upside down. That way, both pairs of long bits get exercise. In the mirror (when I'm too slow to avoid it), there appears to be no difference whether or not I walk. But the idea's the thing! And I don't have to fib to my cardio!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 03:30:24 pm »

... Some pictures can survive even this iPhone maltreatment. This one, imo, not.

I thought your initial comment was that the image is “technically rubbish”? Now you are saying it is so bad that even the iPhone excuse is not saving it? I wonder what is your esthetic issue with it?

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 03:55:26 pm »

I thought your initial comment was that the image is “technically rubbish”? Now you are saying it is so bad that even the iPhone excuse is not saving it? I wonder what is your esthetic issue with it?

No, I’m saying that the image is not strong enough to survive the technical massacre.

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 04:38:00 pm »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 04:41:19 pm by rabanito »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 04:52:12 pm »

I like the irony in the title. Good one

Glad you noticed :)

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 04:52:44 pm »

Actually, I rather like the photograph.

It has a distinct look, which depends on forgetting technical expectations and going with the flow. The girl also would be a nice flow with which to glow. As I said, to be young again, not just at heart, which apart from being a waste of time, is rather painful when it can't take one anywhere because of the ruin in which it finds itself, poor little thing.

Reminds me of Jerry Lee (wearing Liberace for some inexplicable reason).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ofObEI9qPeU

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 05:42:21 pm »

Actually, I rather like the photograph.
I do too.

It reminds me of the saying, "The best camera is the one you have with you."

I don't think a Deardorff would have been able to get as good an image.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 11:13:08 pm »

I rather like it. It does have a plasticy look, but in a surreal cinematic way. Not a grainy filmy way. The tones are varied despite the strong facial light. The only thing I don't like is the shadow just above her upper lip. But that is small thing in the context of the look you have achieved.

JR
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:22:03 am by John R »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 05:07:50 am »

... The only thing I don't like is the shadow just above her upper lip...

Hehe... that’s a normal reaction by normal people (men). However, If you had a chance to be enlightened by a makeup artist, you’d know that’s a lip liner. As per Harper’s Bazar:

Outlining your lips with a pencil that's one shade darker than your natural lip color will make them look instantly fuller and defined.

Girls tend to extend that line beyond the natural, for even “fuller” look, for better or worse. Works especially well in a dark night club  :)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 05:22:49 am »

I liked the thumbnail, disliked the intermediate and loathed the full enlargement.

Take from that what you will: it's the nearest anyone will get to a critique, from me.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 05:25:26 am »

Hehe... that’s a normal reaction by normal people (men). However, If you had a chance to be enlightened by a makeup artist, you’d know that’s a lip liner. As per Harper’s Bazar:

Girls tend to extend that line beyond the natural, for even “fuller” look, for better or worse. Works especially well in a dark night club  :)

Still won't keep others' eyes at face level, though, looking for that "even “fuller” look,"...

;-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 05:30:37 am »

I liked the thumbnail, disliked the intermediate and loathed the full enlargement...

#MeToo  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 05:40:37 am »

I liked the thumbnail, disliked the intermediate and loathed the full enlargement.

Take from that what you will: it's the nearest anyone will get to a critique, from me.

;-)

Actually, you're touching on something else, too, beyond this specific shot.

I find that when I have to decide which of my pix are worth spending my time working on, the viewing size on the monitor plays a really major rôle, both in forming that decision, as in when doing the Photoshopping work later on. I find an image that's too large on the monitor defeats my ability to be critical of it because I see too much at once and have to scan, losing the overall emotional interest that resides in the whole.

That's also why I feel frustrated by those pictures that are published on LuLa that require me to alter their magnification by hand: they start with one strike against them.

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility to think that some photographers (or even painters?) cram into their pictures too many competing points of interest simply because of the scale on which they execute the creative work: they can't see it all in one look. Or don't believe in negative space.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up