Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alone Again, Naturally  (Read 2614 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Alone Again, Naturally
« on: November 25, 2019, 09:58:48 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

Re: Alone Again, Naturally
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 12:25:08 pm »

Great photo; clever title that brings back musical memories! I think titles make a difference.

Again, I sense that black/white adds power and focus. Keep on truckin'!

I'm currently trawling the Internet looking for cheap replacements for my stolen Submariner; under £200 has a massive supply of such things, which having got over the "when you've had a diamond, a rhinestone just won't do"  syndrome, and really wanting the usefulness of a rotating bezel, hating having to fish out my cellphone from inner jacket pockets etc. or resorting to bothering strangers for the time (am I just imagining it, or do they indeed look worried when a stranger comes up and asks?), having given up on reviving glam rock by using the upside down necklace timepiece I bought as a fashion shoot prop in the late 60s - we kept most of that "junk" - the time seems to be ripe for fishing out the card and making a decision. I almost did twice, this morning, but hesitated and watched another review.

I'm currently thinking of the Invicta Pro Diver. Anybody with experiece of these homage watches is welcome to offer personal advice with just one caveat: I refuse to go past the two hundred line. Yeah, I know, you sometimes get what you pay for, but not always.

Rob

P.S.

Ordered the Invicta this evening. Problem - hopefully - over.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:43:31 pm by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 02:00:22 pm »

Very fine, Russ.
His body language is very expressive.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:15:59 pm »

Thanks Rob. I agree that B&W often tends to bring focus onto the message. Yesterday was an amazing day. I got three pictures I was reasonably happy with. Been a long time since that happened.

I certainly hope you can find a watch that’ll do the job. I can imagine the empty feeling after the theft. It’s been a while since I’ve felt that kind of sinking sensation, but I remember what it was like. I hope the Invicta fills the bill.

And thanks, Eric.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:10:55 am »

Jesus, Rob, you get mugged for your flash watch and you're going to strap another to your wrist? Seriously?

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:07:55 am »

Jesus, Rob, you get mugged for your flash watch and you're going to strap another to your wrist? Seriously?

You can only be a virgin once!

A bit over a hundred doesn't hurt too much (the Spanish price for a pair of Levis), but it gives me the opportunity of devising a contraption to keep it safely on the wrist. This is a bit late, but hey... ;-)

Actually, I believe that these people, being professionals, know very well what's real and what's not. This model has a large logo on the dial decidedly not Rolex, as well as an engraved insignia on the side opposite the winder. If the watch lasts longer than the three years of guarantee - or I do - I could then paint the sides in some fancy way and make the thing look like a child's watch.

I have been thinking of buying a small mouse trap, which I might leave cocked and ready to bite inside my wallet pocket instead of the wallet. I could then go to the market, wander around with the jacket undone, and see what gets caught. There is always the risk that I may catch myself, but I may be able to remember that in time. I'd hope!

Look on the bright side; not as dangerous as wandering around the casbah toting a few grand's worth of camera.

;-)

Rob

P.S.

I really am too old and close to the olde curtain falling to live what God still leaves me in fear; fuck these street rats, these hijos de putas.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:17:57 am by Rob C »

KLaban

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 09:16:55 am »

You want to risk a knife, next time?

:-(

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 09:20:45 am »

Not really, but once in forty-seven years of wearing the thing ain't too bad - as long as these events don't also run in triplets!

;-)

KLaban

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 09:29:29 am »

Not really, but once in forty-seven years of wearing the thing ain't too bad - as long as these events don't also run in triplets!

;-)

Carrying a camera is a necessity for a photographer, strapping bling to your wrist isn't.

Take it from someone who's been on the receiving end of a knife.

Russ, apologies for hijacking your thread.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 02:22:16 pm »

Carrying a camera is a necessity for a photographer, strapping bling to your wrist isn't.

Take it from someone who's been on the receiving end of a knife.

Russ, apologies for hijacking your thread.

Indeed carrying a camera is, but only if you consider the photography worth the risk. I pretty much gave up on photography last summer, and this winter - so far - I have been hostage to the disadvantages of being the only resident on a block: running repairs, quotations, hanging on for tradespeople actually to turn up when you expect them has hi-jacked my life to a great degree. This week, I haven't even been able to do my daily walk after lunch because I have to rush straight back home to let in the guys working on the roof. If I don't, they walk out for lunch leaving both the top flat (from whence they use the open terrace as access to the roof) and the security door at the foot of the entrance lobby wide open so that they can come and go as the demands of the work dictate. Being the key holder means I feel responsible for anything that might get stolen from that top apartment. It's taken a year to get a quotation that the three of us owners think is worth accepting, so I'm not about to play silly buggers and be difficult! Now we have found reasonable guys, we want to hang on to them! There's supposed to be a shortage of work, but there is a shortage of builders still doing it, too!

But anyway, an Invicta is a cheapo, so I hope likely muggers know better; it's hardly worth the risk to them. I hope.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 02:25:18 pm by Rob C »

KLaban

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 02:42:29 pm »

Indeed carrying a camera is, but only if you consider the photography worth the risk...

I wouldn't be on LuLa if I didn't consider the risk worthwhile.

But anyway, an Invicta is a cheapo, so I hope likely muggers know better; it's hardly worth the risk to them. I hope.

Most muppets with a knife in their pocket haven't two brain cells to rub together, they'd see an 80 year old with bling strapped to his wrist as an open invitation.

RSL

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 03:59:34 pm »

Rob, I have to tell 'ya, I tend to agree with Keith on this one. Nice to have the watch, but wearing it around, especially at night, seems sort of asking for it.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 05:09:45 pm »

Rob, I have to tell 'ya, I tend to agree with Keith on this one. Nice to have the watch, but wearing it around, especially at night, seems sort of asking for it.

Russ, I'm never out at night! Where would I go, and with whom?

Frankly, I'm almost never out of this little town, and had I not overlooked the fact that Wednesdays are market day, that street rat bitch wouldn't have been here. They follow the markets from town to town and find tourists, mainly. I was in the wrong place on the wrong day: market day!

That said, a bit more caution does no harm at all.

Rob

rabanito

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 06:24:49 pm »

I don't think that he's risking a knife.
What for? Just wait until he buys a new watch and rob him again
Don't kill the goose with the golden eggs

Just a liitle joke  ;)
Good luck

James Clark

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 10:54:20 pm »

Great photo; clever title that brings back musical memories! I think titles make a difference.

Again, I sense that black/white adds power and focus. Keep on truckin'!

I'm currently trawling the Internet looking for cheap replacements for my stolen Submariner; under £200 has a massive supply of such things, which having got over the "when you've had a diamond, a rhinestone just won't do"  syndrome, and really wanting the usefulness of a rotating bezel, hating having to fish out my cellphone from inner jacket pockets etc. or resorting to bothering strangers for the time (am I just imagining it, or do they indeed look worried when a stranger comes up and asks?), having given up on reviving glam rock by using the upside down necklace timepiece I bought as a fashion shoot prop in the late 60s - we kept most of that "junk" - the time seems to be ripe for fishing out the card and making a decision. I almost did twice, this morning, but hesitated and watched another review.

I'm currently thinking of the Invicta Pro Diver. Anybody with experiece of these homage watches is welcome to offer personal advice with just one caveat: I refuse to go past the two hundred line. Yeah, I know, you sometimes get what you pay for, but not always.

Rob

P.S.

Ordered the Invicta this evening. Problem - hopefully - over.

If the Invicta doesn’t work out, Seiko’s automatics are quality for the price - might be a hair over 200 but the quality is a step up

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 10:38:38 am »

If the Invicta doesn’t work out, Seiko’s automatics are quality for the price - might be a hair over 200 but the quality is a step up

Thanks, James, the Invicta was delivered yesterday afternoon. It looks quite the real deal, and feels just as heavy, if not more so - perhaps they add hidden ballast for effect? It has a Seiko unit inside it. One of our bank tellers has a Seiko Sea Urchin; it looks pretty good too.

Perhaps by tomorrow I shall be able to wear it: the bracelet is far too big and attempts to remove links from it as per Internet instructions were foiled because I have nothing fine enough to employ as a punch to dislodge the pins that hold the links together. This should be fixed tomorrow by a friendly jeweller I spoke with this morning.

That's the first difference I noticed with the lost watch: it never needed any messing about with before wearing: the adjustment choices on the catch were better designed.

Ciao -

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 10:39:29 am »

I don't think that he's risking a knife.
What for? Just wait until he buys a new watch and rob him again
Don't kill the goose with the golden eggs

Just a liitle joke  ;)
Good luck

;-)

RSL

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 10:44:03 am »

I've never really understood the watch thing. I had my Rolex. It was a fine watch, and it's still a fine watch on my eldest son's wrist. But my wrists shrank as I aged. For a long time now I've worn a cheap Casio with a digital display. Keeps perfect time. Which is why I wear a watch.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 12:26:37 pm »

I've never really understood the watch thing. I had my Rolex. It was a fine watch, and it's still a fine watch on my eldest son's wrist. But my wrists shrank as I aged. For a long time now I've worn a cheap Casio with a digital display. Keeps perfect time. Which is why I wear a watch.
Me too.
For the last forty years or so I've never worn anything but a cheap digital Timex.
As Russ says, "Keeps perfect time. Which is why I wear a watch."
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KLaban

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 12:58:53 pm »

Ditto.

And before anyone makes the accusation of jealousy, I could, if I had a mind to, go out tomorrow and buy a Rolex, IWC, Breitling...after all the cost would be similar to that of a decent trip to India.

Like Eric, I owned and wore a cheap (£5,bought in Lanzarote in 1980) digital watch for 30+ years and was sad when the display became unreadable.

But hey, each to their own.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:25:37 am by KLaban »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up