Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z50  (Read 9548 times)

John Camp

Re: Nikon Z50
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 03:07:58 pm »

Not to be harsh, but at this point, I think putting out a camera without IBIS is sorta dumb.
Not to be even harsher, where is the 70-210 S? The roadmap still shows it arriving in 2019, but we're running out of 2019.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 03:22:08 pm »

Not to be harsh, but at this point, I think putting out a camera without IBIS is sorta dumb.
Not to be even harsher, where is the 70-210 S? The roadmap still shows it arriving in 2019, but we're running out of 2019.

The latest roadmap doesn't give timings, which is a pity.

Latest Roadmap

hogloff

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 04:45:05 pm »

Up until six months ago I'd never had a camera with built in sensor cleaning.

Were they mirrorless? With such a short distance to the sensor with mirrorless cameras, dust seems to just suck right up onto the sensor.

If you look at specifications of cameras now a days...they don't even mention sensor cleaning in the specs...it's just a given.

KLaban

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 04:57:02 pm »

Were they mirrorless? With such a short distance to the sensor with mirrorless cameras, dust seems to just suck right up onto the sensor.

If you look at specifications of cameras now a days...they don't even mention sensor cleaning in the specs...it's just a given.

Mirrored Hasselblads, mirrorless Leicas.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2019, 05:01:37 pm »

Of bigger concern is the lack of built in sensor cleaning. Be prepared for a lot of dust bunnies.

Usually they put the sensor-glassfilter far way of the sensor to avoid dust markings...
They did that with the Nikon1 series and i never had any problem with dust.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

chez

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 09:23:40 pm »

Of the 228 Interchangable lens cameras introduced since 2005 only 17 had no automated self cleaning sensors.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 11:22:07 pm »

I go everywhere with a blower since moving to mirrorless. I live in a dry dusty place where we get no rain for months and months over winter. Loads of static. It’s an issue if you don’t have a plan.

And the self cleaning thing is like my second marriage, a triumph of optimism over experience. It’s hardly worth the effort to press the buttons. It never works. At least with mirrorless I don’t get those sticky type spots I got with the cannons. A quick blow with the rubber bulb thing sorts it out.

In short I wouldn’t care that the Z50 doesn’t doesn’t have a self cleaning sensor. The lack of IBIS would bother me. I think it looks like a great little camera all round though. If I had bought into the Z6 or Z7 I would definitely consider using a Z50 at least as a back up body.   
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2019, 01:02:23 am »

I am not sure about the role of sensor cleaning (which leverages IBIS in one of many possible different ways), sensor glass coating, lenses sealing,... all of those contribute to the amount of dust sticking to the sensor.

I have never noticed dust in my Z7/Z6 images in a year of usage shooting in various locations while some Sony users have been complaining. I’ll form my own opinion on that in the coming months.

The Z50’s lack of IBIS isn’t shocking to me consider it’s price point.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2019, 09:04:43 am »

I go everywhere with a blower since moving to mirrorless. I live in a dry dusty place where we get no rain for months and months over winter. Loads of static. It’s an issue if you don’t have a plan.

And the self cleaning thing is like my second marriage, a triumph of optimism over experience. It’s hardly worth the effort to press the buttons. It never works. At least with mirrorless I don’t get those sticky type spots I got with the cannons. A quick blow with the rubber bulb thing sorts it out.

In short I wouldn’t care that the Z50 doesn’t doesn’t have a self cleaning sensor. The lack of IBIS would bother me. I think it looks like a great little camera all round though. If I had bought into the Z6 or Z7 I would definitely consider using a Z50 at least as a back up body.

Most cameras automatically go through their sensor cleaning cycle every time you turn on/off the camera...so you probably don't have a good feeling how bad the dust bunnies would be without automated sensor cleaning.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 09:08:06 am »

When you do the self cleaning on my two cameras you can clearly feel the shaking. I use my cameras daily turning them on and off several times a day. I’m pretty sure they aren’t doing the cleaning cycle. I remember though that the Canon did this.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 09:15:21 am »

When you do the self cleaning on my two cameras you can clearly feel the shaking. I use my cameras daily turning them on and off several times a day. I’m pretty sure they aren’t doing the cleaning cycle. I remember though that the Canon did this.

My Leica M series bodies didn't of course have a cleaning cycle and I had to resort to gel sticks and wet cleaning. So far with my two Z7 bodies I've only had to use the cleaning cycle twice: seems to work well enough.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:22:25 pm by KLaban »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 09:20:28 am »

Most cameras automatically go through their sensor cleaning cycle every time you turn on/off the camera...so you probably don't have a good feeling how bad the dust bunnies would be without automated sensor cleaning.
There is a menu in the Nikon Z6 (and I presume Z7) that allows one to set the cleaning function or turn it off if desired.

KLaban

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2019, 10:30:48 am »

There is a menu in the Nikon Z6 (and I presume Z7) that allows one to set the cleaning function or turn it off if desired.

I've got auto cleaning set to off. Despite using the Z7 cameras in extremely dusty conditions I've only used the sensor cleaning cycle a couple of times.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2019, 09:31:19 am »

The secret to noticing dust on the sensor is to shoot at F16 or smaller (equiv), ideally against the sky. According to some the Olympus shaking dust feature is magic; I can’t say I agree but I have yet to clean the sensor on my E-M5ii.

KLaban

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2019, 02:52:23 pm »

The secret to noticing dust on the sensor is to shoot at F16 or smaller (equiv), ideally against the sky. According to some the Olympus shaking dust feature is magic; I can’t say I agree but I have yet to clean the sensor on my E-M5ii.

Doubt it's a secret, I wouldn't do it any other way.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 03:15:41 pm »

What I was saying is that if you don’t shoot at small apertures you are not going to notice it in your regular outings even if your sensor has a lot of dust.

KLaban

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2019, 05:15:49 pm »

What I was saying is that if you don’t shoot at small apertures you are not going to notice it in your regular outings even if your sensor has a lot of dust.

I know.

;-)

SrMi

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 09:16:09 pm »

I was a bit disappointed to read from early reviews of the Z50 that the sensor has an optical low pass filter. My D5300 doesn't. The filter will reduce resolution to some extent. The Z6 sensor also has a low pass filter, but that's understandable because of the lower pixel density of 24mp full frame, which is equivalent to only 10mp in APS-C format.

Nikon Z 50 does not have an AA (low-pass) filter.

Ray

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2020, 05:12:24 am »

Nikon Z 50 does not have an AA (low-pass) filter.

Good! Have you got a link to a reliable site which confirms that? I've come across at least one camera review site that claims it does have a low-pass filter, and a lot of comments on the internet that claim it does.

Nikon's website doesn't appear to address the issue.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2020, 07:41:32 am »

Of bigger concern is the lack of built in sensor cleaning. Be prepared for a lot of dust bunnies.

I had a two nikon1 cameras never a prblem with dust- no sensor cleaning.
The coverglass was some mm away from the sensor - that is why.
One of the advantages of mirrorless
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up