Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rest in peace Pixel Genius Photokit Sharpener: can't install in PS CC 2020  (Read 9737 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

No matter what you do, PhotoKit will never work in InDesign.  ;)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

But thanks to his steps, which were much clearer than the Adobe message, it works. 

Just follow his steps and copy the line of code he shows into terminal.  His description is much easier to follow, at least for me.

Nice to see the ability to use these plugins in Catalina.  Personally, I should have stayed one version of Mac OS back, just not worth hassles like this.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

http://pixelgenius.com

A note about Photoshop CC 202x and macOS Catalina (10.15) and plug-ins.
Adobe has posted a page discussing running Catalina & Photoshop using legacy functiuons and 3rd party plug-ins. There is a way to to get PhotoKit brand of plug-ins to run by performing a Terminal operation to "notarize" the plug-ins. See this page: Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15). Scroll down and read the section headed: Plug-ins not found or cannot be verified. And no, sorry, we won't be updating the current plug-ins below in the future.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Yes, I read that, and I am sure if you are more familiar with terminal, it makes sense.  I am more a PC command prompt knowledge base and not terminal.  I was not able to get the features to work with the Adobe notes, I am sure due to my lack knowledge of terminal.

However the post with steps by Mark, made it very easy.  Not a hard process once you know what the flow is.

Glad to be able to use these again.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alecdann

@digitaldog

Thanks for your generous help on this, Andrew.

Sorry the check from Adobe got lost in the mail.  Imagine where the world would be if they had funded continued development.

bluloo

Yup, been using it for years. But whenever I tried to "open" to get past the lockdown it would launch Ps, then give me the incompatibility message.

I finally got it. Not sure what I was missing before. I used the terminal, following these instructions for getting the plugins past Catalina security. These are for InDesign, but they work for Ps as well. All is good:

"You will need the admin password later on.
Quit InDesign.
Move the plugin out its place, e.g. to the Desktop.
Start InDesign, so that it considers the change
Quit InDesign.
Move the plugin back.

Launch terminal
type "sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine " without the quotes and without return, but including the final space
Instead of typing the path, drag the plugin file to the terminal.
The result should read:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine path/to/your/plugin
press return to run the command
terminal will ask for an admin password.
When completed, start InDesign."

Do this for each plugin in the package (repeating the terminal steps). Terminal will ask for your admin pw for only the first one.

Thanks so much for this!
Worked :)

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at

Reading your interesting posts I became curious about PhotoKit plugins and installed them FOR THE FIRST TIME on my Mac with current Catalina 10.15.4. and Photoshop 21.1.2. Of course I executed all above recommended steps.

Unfortunatley, PhotoKit plugins open, but
  • with white texts on light grey backgrounds (so barely visible)
  • clicking "Help" shows that the plugin seems not to know "where it is on the hard drive" (see screenshot)
  • and, last but not least, from opening the plugin until restarting Photoshop says "Could not compete your requests because of a program error" 
On my Win10 64bit machine, everything works fine.

Before I now spend hours trying to hunt down the error (and bearing in mind that there could have been a tiny change in a MacOS/Adobe update): Could please anyone on a Mac with current updates confirm that PhotoKit still works? Thank you!

Regards, Michael

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:16:09 pm by fineartelier »

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/

Reading your interesting posts I became curious about PhotoKit plugins and installed them FOR THE FIRST TIME on my Mac with current Catalina 10.15.4. and Photoshop 21.1.2. Of course I executed all above recommended steps.

Yes it works for me, same version of OS X/PS. The first time I used it after updating to Catalina it asked for a bunch of permissions which I granted. The help does not work (can't find the file) although I think you can just go into the install directory and open the PDF directly.

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at

sbay, thanks for checking! So I will dive into the rabbit hole ;-)

wgibbons

I have successfully installed the Pixel Genius plugins in PS 2020 (and OS Catalina, thanks Mark!), but like Michale K, the input boxes in the various windows have white lettering on light backgrounds and black lettering on dark backgrounds.  Do other Mac users have the same issue?  if so, any ideas on how to solve it?

Cheers

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at

Sorry, no solution yet  :-\

Shawn

Re: Rest in peace Pixel Genius Photokit Sharpener: can't install in PS CC 2020
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2020, 07:23:42 pm »

Thanks to all for the tips..worked fine in Windows 10 once the files were placed in both directories for plugins.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up