Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rest in peace Pixel Genius Photokit Sharpener: can't install in PS CC 2020  (Read 9740 times)

tsinsf

It finally happened. After upgrading to Photoshop CC 2020 today Pixel Genius Photokit Creative Sharpener won't install. Darn. I'll miss it!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:28:34 am by tsinsf »

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Rest in peace Pixel Genius Photokit Sharpener: can't install in PS CC 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:05:27 am »

So, you miss it less than the new features in Photoshop?
In any case i would have the older Photoshop standby...
and there must be a way to address the problem...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

David Luery

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 02:46:12 pm »

Hi,

I also had the same problem with the beloved PK Sharpener.  I played around for quite a while, and 'solution' I hit upon is to install PK Sharpener (i.e., the folder PixelGenius Toolbox Plugin Module) in both the Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Plug-ins and the the Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CC folders.  I'm on a Win 10 machine. 

So far PK Sharpener works the way it worked in Ps 2019, and I have not noticed any 'side effects'.  Also, I have no idea why this works, whereas when I installed it in only the Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Plug-ins foler (which is, of course, the place where PixelGenius said it should be installed in Ps 2019) or only the Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CC folder, it did not appear in File > Automate.

Good luck.

Fernando García

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:29:47 pm »

On a Windows PC, I just dragged the the "PixelGenius Toolbox Plug-in Module" folder from the previous plug-ins folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Plug-ins

to the new one:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Plug-ins

and it seems to work fine.

Jim Sanderson

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 10:34:15 pm »

I didn’t have a problem installing the “free” out of business version and following the installation instructions. Windows 10. What was the specific problem you were having?

tsinsf

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 12:02:12 pm »

On a Mac computer, not running Catalina OS, I updated to Photoshop CC 2020. After significant updates it's often necessary to reinstall this software. When I tried to reinstall it, it gives a message that there are multiple (old) versions of Photoshop and asks which one you want to install on. All the older versions are an option, but Photoshop CC 2020 is greyed out.

tsinsf

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 08:19:21 pm »

Thanks to your suggestions/hint to manually place the plugin, I was able to do that by putting the plugin in Applications/Adobe Photoshop cc 2020/Plugins and it is now working in Photoshop 2020. Yay!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:53:39 pm »

When I tried to reinstall it, it gives a message that there are multiple (old) versions of Photoshop and asks which one you want to install on. All the older versions are an option, but Photoshop CC 2020 is greyed out.

The free version is installer free so all everyone should need to do is place the plug-in's in the correct location. Runs on my Mac, with PS 2020 under Mojave FWIW. So get the free version, unzip and place, as suggested, in the Plug-In folder, should work fine for the time being.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:17:55 pm »

I copied the PSCC 2019 \Plugin files to both the PSCC 2020\Adobe\Plugins and the \CommonFiles\Adobe\cc folders.
 Automate shows the usual Photokit output sharpen etc, but clicking opens a window asking me to activate my serial number xxx.  How should I proceed to get PK to work in PSCC 2020?  PSCC 2019 works fine.
Doug Bolt
http:\\dougboltphotography.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 09:21:33 pm »

If you were asked for a serial number, you don't have the correct version. Go back to the Pixel Genius site and download the version there.

colorride

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 02:45:06 pm »

The free version is installer free so all everyone should need to do is place the plug-in's in the correct location. Runs on my Mac, with PS 2020 under Mojave FWIW. So get the free version, unzip and place, as suggested, in the Plug-In folder, should work fine for the time being.

I tried on my Mac with Mojave and PS 2020 Release 21.0.3 but it doesn't work. When I launch it it says (translate from my italian version): Can't complete your request because of a program error

And then I have to quit PS.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 03:11:24 pm »

Still works for me under the latest version of Photoshop and under Catalina but you must get past the silly security protocols placed here by the new OS. I had to conduct an Open from each plug-in and click the “Open” option presented to inform the security that came up with the warning ( xxx cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified).
Now one issue is, while you can see the routines from the dropdown menu to select them, once you select it, it’s not visible. But the routine can be run. Obviously this isn’t an ideal behavior but no, it’s not getting fixed. None the less, I can still run the routines on images in Photoshop.

Mark_Muse

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 11:21:35 am »

Still works for me under the latest version of Photoshop and under Catalina but you must get past the silly security protocols placed here by the new OS. I had to conduct an Open from each plug-in and click the “Open” option presented to inform the security that came up with the warning ( xxx cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified).
Now one issue is, while you can see the routines from the dropdown menu to select them, once you select it, it’s not visible. But the routine can be run. Obviously this isn’t an ideal behavior but no, it’s not getting fixed. None the less, I can still run the routines on images in Photoshop.

Ps 2020, Catalina: DoubleClicking each plugin results in Ps message that Ps doesn't recognize this type of file. Plugins not visible under Ps > about plug-ins >     I'm at a loss.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 11:46:25 am »

Ps 2020, Catalina: DoubleClicking each plugin results in Ps message that Ps doesn't recognize this type of file. Plugins not visible under Ps > about plug-ins >     I'm at a loss.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-a-mac-app-from-an-unidentified-developer-mh40616/mac

Mark_Muse

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 02:23:15 pm »

Thanks, Andrew. I have gotten past the Catalina lockdown, but Ps says it can't open this type of file. Ps 2020. Changed the default app to Ps 2019, same result. I was hoping to try Ps CS6, but apparently it is 32 bit.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:34:16 pm by Mark_Muse »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 03:50:00 pm »

There’s nothing to ‘open’ and pointless to double click on the plug-in’s. Once all the security mess is cleaned up, you open an image in Photoshop and select the plug-in from File>Automate. Again, works on this end after getting past Catalina’s security configurations.

Mark_Muse

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 06:50:55 pm »

There’s nothing to ‘open’ and pointless to double click on the plug-in’s. Once all the security mess is cleaned up, you open an image in Photoshop and select the plug-in from File>Automate. Again, works on this end after getting past Catalina’s security configurations.

Yup, been using it for years. But whenever I tried to "open" to get past the lockdown it would launch Ps, then give me the incompatibility message.

I finally got it. Not sure what I was missing before. I used the terminal, following these instructions for getting the plugins past Catalina security. These are for InDesign, but they work for Ps as well. All is good:

"You will need the admin password later on.
Quit InDesign.
Move the plugin out its place, e.g. to the Desktop.
Start InDesign, so that it considers the change
Quit InDesign.
Move the plugin back.

Launch terminal
type "sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine " without the quotes and without return, but including the final space
Instead of typing the path, drag the plugin file to the terminal.
The result should read:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine path/to/your/plugin
press return to run the command
terminal will ask for an admin password.
When completed, start InDesign."

Do this for each plugin in the package (repeating the terminal steps). Terminal will ask for your admin pw for only the first one.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 06:54:00 pm by Mark_Muse »

tonyespofoito

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 10:15:05 pm »

I too had some issues getting Photokit Sharpener to work in PS2020. I'm on a Win7 machine. I first tried dragging the photokit folder from CC2019 to the plugins folder for CC2020. That worked for CC2019, 2018 and earlier CC iterations. This time it didn't. It requested an activation key. Apparently, the servers at pixelGenius are now shut down. I tried installing the freeware, but it wouldn't work either. What did work was deleting the folder I dragged over instead of over-writing it. Then I installed the freeware and all is well. I have used Photokit sharpener since 2011, I think. I finish all my important images in Photoshop. Yes, jobs just for the web can be properly done in ACR or LR, but a finished work that will be printed or sold will need Photoshop. And of course, portrait retouching can't be done in ACR or LR. There is no program or plugin that I am aware of that is even remotely as competent as Photokit Sharpener.You can adjust the sharpening for high or low ISO: For portraits, products or landscapes and for the peculiar properties of any digital camera, image or scan. If necessary (or as a last resort) read the help files. They are, by the way, a good read. Usually, in a matter of seconds you've got a superbly sharpened image, on layers, no less and in a group with its own layer mask. 

Arlen

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 12:25:23 am »

What did work was deleting the folder I dragged over instead of over-writing it. Then I installed the freeware and all is well.

This seems to be the solution. If you are getting asked to enter an activation key, delete the software, then download and install the free version instead. It does not ask for an activation key.

Thank you to the Pixel Genius folks for providing the free version for those of us who still want to use PK Sharpener.

pminicucci

THANK YOU, Mark!

Yup, been using it for years. But whenever I tried to "open" to get past the lockdown it would launch Ps, then give me the incompatibility message.

I finally got it. Not sure what I was missing before. I used the terminal, following these instructions for getting the plugins past Catalina security. These are for InDesign, but they work for Ps as well. All is good:

"You will need the admin password later on.
Quit InDesign.
Move the plugin out its place, e.g. to the Desktop.
Start InDesign, so that it considers the change
Quit InDesign.
Move the plugin back.

Launch terminal
type "sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine " without the quotes and without return, but including the final space
Instead of typing the path, drag the plugin file to the terminal.
The result should read:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine path/to/your/plugin
press return to run the command
terminal will ask for an admin password.
When completed, start InDesign."

Do this for each plugin in the package (repeating the terminal steps). Terminal will ask for your admin pw for only the first one.
Best,
Pat
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up