Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: sun seeker  (Read 1887 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: sun seeker
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 10:07:13 am »

Eric, basic understanding of composition and it’s relation to perspective, position, etc could be beneficial to improve Jeremy’s first image. Why is this so difficult to swallow.

Absolutely, Eric. When you see something that would make a good street shot, be sure to check the perspective relationships, position, and rules of composition. Of course, by the time you've checked all that stuff your shot is gone forever. But who cares? At least you've fulfilled the rules of composition you've read about. As long as you do that, who needs a picture?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 10:32:12 am »

And always make sure your tripod is perfectly level for spontaneous Street photography.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 11:48:46 am »

Then state what’s wrong with the image and how to improve it.

Nothing is wrong, but there is one insight that would improve the image.

Find the dominant vertical and horizontal lines in the composition before pressing the button and frame to taste.
It’s a small insight and improves the overal balans.
Dominant lines are often imaginary lines between two by perspective distorted lines.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 11:51:54 am »

And always make sure your tripod is perfectly level for spontaneous Street photography.   ;)

Ok, so the above pictures are ‘street photography’ ?
 ::)

Wat baten kaars en bril als de uil niet zien en wil?

RSL

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 02:34:54 pm »

Find the dominant vertical and horizontal lines in the composition before pressing the button and frame to taste.
Dominant lines are often imaginary lines between two by perspective distorted lines.

Why don't you give us a demonstration of what you mean, Ivo? Abstract and subjective statements never are as convincing as a clear example. Surely you have a clear example of this.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:55:20 pm by RSL »

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 02:55:31 am »

Ivo, your initial criticisms were based on your dislike of the photographs, expressed as mystification as to why they were taken. I have explained why I took them; you may accept that explanation or not, of course. You also included a misguided complaint about the horizon.

Now you have shifted ground, making vague allusions to extracts from "Noddy learns picture-taking". The buzzwords are there, but there's no hint that you have any idea of how their application to those photographs will, or even might, improve them.

I have always asserted that I do not post photographs here in order to receive applause. I have learned a great deal from contributors to the forum over the last 15 years; some of them are excellent phtoographers who are able not only to make good images but to write lucidly about technique. I hope to continue to do so. One can learn from others in two ways, of course: what to do and, perhaps inadvertently on their part, what not to do. Thus far, I see you falling into the latter group, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Respond to Russ's request.

Jeremy

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 07:43:27 am »

I’m not responsible for your perception of my feelings about your images, Jeremy.
I don’t have any like or dislike towards your pictures, I find the applause not helpfully in a critique section. Especially not when it is applauding the person and not the work.

You don’t need to give me instructions to what I have to respond, I always give answer to fair questions.

Read what I explained in earlier post.

Before pushing the button, find the dominant composition lines in the scene and in combination with focal length and position you can prevent the skewed impression of the composition. It’s nothing in Post processing, it’s in the making.

When I ask why you made the picture it is not to look down on you or the picture, it is to genuinely understand what the purpose is.

If you wanted to shoot the sun seeker in two extreme lighting situations and nothing more, I had no remark.

Normally I don’t give comments on this kind of pictures, it’s like landscape, I don’t know enough about it. But this touches something I know about because I shoot interiors and real estate: how to deal with visual balans in perspective distortion prone scenes.

What I try to explain was told too me as well. And that little insight improved the way I compose images where perspective lines can make a scene a bit tricky to frame.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:38:31 am by Ivo_B »

RSL

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 07:52:06 am »

And that little insight improved the way I compose images where perspective lines can make a scene a bit tricky to frame.

Then it should be very easy to give us a concrete example of what you're talking about, Ivo.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 11:24:57 am »

Then it should be very easy to give us a concrete example of what you're talking about, Ivo.

Yes it is. But it is out of my reach to make you understand.

Maybe when I find time this week, I could do some table top shots.

But,... why on earth would I put more time in it...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 12:00:19 pm »

Ok, to ground this discussion somewhat:

Ivo, is this what you are talking about, that what you suppose needs to be vertical, isn't?

RSL

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 01:53:24 pm »

Yes it is. But it is out of my reach to make you understand.

Why is it "out of your reach?" All you have to do is show us an example. Since this is the way you claim you do your own work you must have plenty of examples already at hand. Just post one or two and tell us how they differ from what the rest of us do.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2019, 02:55:59 pm »

Why is it "out of your reach?" All you have to do is show us an example. Since this is the way you claim you do your own work you must have plenty of examples already at hand. Just post one or two and tell us how they differ from what the rest of us do.

It's not going to happen, Russ. As he's observed, he has better things to do with his time
But,... why on earth would I put more time in it...
and as he has such a good grasp of the terms of theory, practice is unimportant.

We must look elsewhere for our education, it seems.

Jeremy

RSL

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2019, 07:58:22 pm »

Well, damn. I was hoping I could penetrate the fog. Ah well.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up