Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Violence in Ecuador  (Read 7610 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Violence in Ecuador
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2019, 07:16:49 am »

In a normal discussion, I would bring up a long answer, Russ. But in a conversation with you, it doesn’t matter, because you disqualify everything as not street when it doesn’t obey to your idea.
Doing this, you disqualify yourself as a conversation partner on this subject.

If you would be in the mood for a real conversation, I would be happy to join. But you are not. You set up a trap and elicit your conversation partner in the hope you can get him in your trap.
And in the occasion you are clearly pulling the short side of the rope, you bail out.

Try this with others, not with me.

Hi, Ivo. Here are two of your statements from an earlier post:

"There are a lot documentaries about how journalism changed in the last decades. Check it out.

"Street photography changed enormously the last decades, because society became more complex and the human behavior/ social environments are in continuous change as well.:

Give me a link to at least one of the "documentaries" that show how journalism has changed. Maybe because photojournalists now are using digital cameras?

Give ma a link to at least one example of how "street photography has changed enormously in the last decades."

If you can't do these things it'll be clear to me and to everyone that you're just blowing smoke.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2019, 07:32:52 am »

As said, Russ, I’m not stepping in one of the traps you open.
Because, regardless what I will answer, whatever link or example I will give, you will disqualify it. Done that before.

It’s like you are shouting: “Give me one single evidence the earth isn’t flat.”
And after looking at a photo of earth from the moon:
“That doesn’t count, the moon trip is a hoax, it’s fake”

How can I reasonably go in discussion with such a conversation partner?

The point is, you are not able to accept paradigm shifts.

;)
The Clue of the above is in this (impressionist) correction, thank you Russ: Expressionist painting of Frits Van den Berghe=>
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:39:27 am by Ivo_B »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2019, 09:00:13 am »

Much a do about nothing. The OP snaps are neither good street, nor good photojournalism to justify three pages of lofty debate on the meaning of art. At best, they could end up some in Ecuadorian mom’s  family album: “Look ma, I was there!” Bored people on a Sunday stroll, posing for Facebook posts.

RSL

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2019, 09:32:10 am »

Thanks, Ivo. You’ve more than adequately confirmed my suspicions. You have absolutely nothing to support your two assertions:

"There are a lot documentaries about how journalism changed in the last decades. Check it out.” and

"Street photography changed enormously the last decades, because society became more complex and the human behavior/ social environments are in continuous change as well.”

Instead of even attempting to give examples to support these two off-the-wall assertions you jump instantly into “oh poor me” defensiveness. You want me to give you a “single evidence the earth isn’t flat?” I can give you a wealth of such evidence if you really want to see it, but first, let’s deal with the subject at hand.

You say, “The point is, you are not able to accept paradigm shifts.” No crap? What, exactly (and I mean exactly) are these paradigm shifts you keep talking about? Do you even know what “paradigm” means? Give me one concrete example of a “paradigm shift.” A ghastly painting by Frits Van den Berghe which you call “Impressionist” is a long way from such an example. In fact, Berghe’s painting isn’t Impressionist. It may be Expressionist, though it’s a pretty crappy example of that genre too. Oh, damn, there we go again, stuffing things into genres. Oh, yeah, you just did that yourself, even though it was the wrong genre. Actually, Expressionism began in about 1912, so it's certainly not a recent "paradigm shift."

It’s no use, Ivo. You can run but you can’t hide. Either do it or get off the pot. Claiming that I’m abusing you ain’t gonna get the job done. If you really believe the two statements you made, give me your supporting evidence. I’m waiting with bated breath.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2019, 09:45:24 am »

Thanks, Ivo. You’ve more than adequately confirmed my suspicions. You have absolutely nothing to support your two assertions:

"There are a lot documentaries about how journalism changed in the last decades. Check it out.” and

"Street photography changed enormously the last decades, because society became more complex and the human behavior/ social environments are in continuous change as well.”

Instead of even attempting to give examples to support these two off-the-wall assertions you jump instantly into “oh poor me” defensiveness. You want me to give you a “single evidence the earth isn’t flat?” I can give you a wealth of such evidence if you really want to see it, but first, let’s deal with the subject at hand.

You say, “The point is, you are not able to accept paradigm shifts.” No crap? What, exactly (and I mean exactly) are these paradigm shifts you keep talking about? Do you even know what “paradigm” means? Give me one concrete example of a “paradigm shift.” A ghastly painting by Frits Van den Berghe which you call “Impressionist” is a long way from such an example. In fact, Berghe’s painting isn’t Impressionist. It may be Expressionist, though it’s a pretty crappy example of that genre too. Oh, damn, there we go again, stuffing things into genres. Oh, yeah, you just did that yourself, even though it was the wrong genre. Actually, Expressionism began in about 1912, so it's certainly not a recent "paradigm shift."

It’s no use, Ivo. You can run but you can’t hide. Either do it or get off the pot. Claiming that I’m abusing you ain’t gonna get the job done. If you really believe the two statements you made, give me your supporting evidence. I’m waiting with bated breath.

Yes, You are correct on Van den Berge: it is an expressionist. Congratulations.
The painting is about the subject: 3 Jesuits. You know why they always walk in group of 3?

For the rest You don’t have a clou and will never have.

Point.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:57:40 am by Ivo_B »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2019, 09:48:56 am »

Much a do about nothing. The OP snaps are neither good street, nor good photojournalism to justify three pages of lofty debate on the meaning of art. At best, they could end up some in Ecuadorian mom’s  family album: “Look ma, I was there!” Bored people on a Sunday stroll, posing for Facebook posts.

Hahaha, yeah, that’s the spirit. When nothing left: piss against the leg.
Statler and Waldorf in extreme.

I wonder, who on earth would think about starting a discussion under nothing. Must be a bunch of idiots.

I wonder: 1110 views, to look at nothing? (Or maybe it is Russ who is checking the topic every 2 seconds.... 😬🤓 )

RSL

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2019, 10:14:32 am »

Yes, You are correct on Van den Berge: it is an expressionist. Congratulations.
The painting is about the subject: 3 Jesuits. You know why they always walk in group of 3?

For the rest You don’t have a clou and will never have.

Point.

Okay, Ivo. So you admit your statements that "journalism has changed" and "street photography has changed enormously" are simply off-the-wall assertions which you can’t support.

Looks as if I’m not the one who hasn’t “a clou and will never have.”

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2019, 10:36:12 am »

Okay, Ivo. So you admit your statements that "journalism has changed" and "street photography has changed enormously" are simply off-the-wall assertions which you can’t support.

Looks as if I’m not the one who hasn’t “a clou and will never have.”

Priceless, you even don’t need a conversation partner to come to conclusions. Who is proving what?

;D ;D

RSL

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2019, 10:37:44 am »

Bye, Ivo. You jumped the track somewhere back there and you're now rolling down the hill. I'm outta here.

8)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2019, 10:49:09 am »

... I wonder: 1110 views, to look at nothing?

No, Ivo, sorry, it is 1110 thread openings, without having a single clue what is in there (I guess the word "violence" in the thread title had something to do with it).

Once there, only 19 views, on average, on each of the posted snaps.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2019, 11:46:47 am »

No, Ivo, sorry, it is 1110 thread openings, without having a single clue what is in there (I guess the word "violence" in the thread title had something to do with it).

Once there, only 19 views, on average, on each of the posted snaps.

Damn. There goes my dream.  ;D

Next time I include ‘hooters’ in the title.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2019, 11:50:04 am »

Bye, Ivo. You jumped the track somewhere back there and you're now rolling down the hill. I'm outta here.

8)

As predicted.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2019, 11:53:51 am »

... Next time I include ‘hooters’ in the title.

We would be equally misled, expecting to see in pictures what the title implies ;)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2019, 11:55:26 am »

We would be equally misled, expecting to see in pictures what the title implies ;)

Yeah, that’s how I got here on Lula in the first place . 😳

stamper

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2019, 11:56:02 am »

Ivo it seems to me that you set up the bait and then swallowed it yourself?

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2019, 11:58:09 am »

Ivo it seems to me that you set up the bait and then swallowed it yourself?

Ha, here is another helper.
The one is tired, the other takes over.
 ::)

RSL

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2019, 04:14:19 pm »

Well, I finally was able to stop laughing and get up off the floor. I went back through earlier posts and noticed this one from Ivo:

“Street photography changed enormously the last decades, because society became more complex and the human behavior/ social environments are in continuous change as well.”

I can tell that Ivo hasn’t read my essay on street photography. In that essay I said:

“An historical novelist guesses at the past on the best evidence he can find, but a photograph isn’t a guess; it’s an artifact that has captured time. And so, a street photograph that has captured not only the visages of its subjects, but the story that surrounds their actions can be a more convincing reminder of how things were than any novel or any straight, posed documentary photograph.

“Although good street photography is a powerful art form, it’s also a way of recording what people really are like and for those after us, a way of learning what we were like. It seems to me that besides the satisfaction it can give you, those two facts alone make it worthwhile.”

Ivo’s right. Social environments are in continuous change. They change one way, and then they change back again. Britain went from Elizabethan loose morality to puckered-lipped Victorianism. The reverse of that sequence is taking place in America right now. We’re moving away from early fundamentalism to an anything-goes society. Once our people feel the full effect of that change, we’ll move back the other way. And street photography, if it’s done right, will capture those changes. It’s not, as Ivo suggests, that street photography changes. Were it to change in accordance with “human behavior / social environments” it wouldn’t be able to record the changes in those things. In the end, unless the confusing name misleads its intended practitioners (the commonality of which LuLa has demonstrated), street photography is the constant.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2019, 01:48:53 am »

Well, I finally was able to stop laughing and get up off the floor. I went back through earlier posts and noticed this one from Ivo:

“Street photography changed enormously the last decades, because society became more complex and the human behavior/ social environments are in continuous change as well.”

I can tell that Ivo hasn’t read my essay on street photography. In that essay I said:

“An historical novelist guesses at the past on the best evidence he can find, but a photograph isn’t a guess; it’s an artifact that has captured time. And so, a street photograph that has captured not only the visages of its subjects, but the story that surrounds their actions can be a more convincing reminder of how things were than any novel or any straight, posed documentary photograph.

“Although good street photography is a powerful art form, it’s also a way of recording what people really are like and for those after us, a way of learning what we were like. It seems to me that besides the satisfaction it can give you, those two facts alone make it worthwhile.”

Ivo’s right. Social environments are in continuous change. They change one way, and then they change back again. Britain went from Elizabethan loose morality to puckered-lipped Victorianism. The reverse of that sequence is taking place in America right now. We’re moving away from early fundamentalism to an anything-goes society. Once our people feel the full effect of that change, we’ll move back the other way. And street photography, if it’s done right, will capture those changes. It’s not, as Ivo suggests, that street photography changes. Were it to change in accordance with “human behavior / social environments” it wouldn’t be able to record the changes in those things. In the end, unless the confusing name misleads its intended practitioners (the commonality of which LuLa has demonstrated), street photography is the constant.

Thanks Russ, now we are talking. I hope you have recuperated from your good fun.

Let’s also stop to underestimate each other’s understanding of photography, let’s have an adult to adult conversation.

As you know, I talk about pictures, not genres.
The results of shooting on the street (the pictures) changes due to the changing context, social, legal, etc. So we agree. Correct?

I have the impression you do not accept those changes in the contemporary photography. For that reason I question the so called ‘rules of street photography’ and anything else that put boundaries square on today’s society.

Theoretically, I’m with you about how a fixed window shows the world in change. But, practically, opening that window a bit more gives ‘more’ view of the world. And here is the paradigm shift. Change the set of rules reposition your window and give another look to the same world.

Now, I have posted the series under Street because I believe it is street. The ambiguity of the scene and the strange atmosphere, as Slobodan accurately described, the friendly soft character of the peoples, almost the family excursion level, makes it a registration of what is happening on a Saturday in A European capital town.

And here jumps in the limitation of ‘genre placing’
First reaction based on pre set definition: it’s photojournalism. And the questioning of the series stops instantly.

Wouldn’t it be interesting to ask : Why is the photographer doing this? And not automatically conclude: he doesn’t have a clue.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:52:39 am by Ivo_B »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2019, 03:11:43 am »

Another take on why I believe photographers should seek and redefine the boundaries of that window on the world:

The ‘world’ will eventually avoid that window, or ‘behave’ in front of that window. And  actually, the legal frame of that window is put in question.
It’s happening in Europe, photography on the street is censored by privacy law.
Yes, eventually this will reflect in the pictures of this era: by the absence of concealed taken photographs. This absence will only indirectly document the change in privacy legislation, but street photography  in its narrow definition risks to overlook  all the rest what is happening.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:48:33 am by Ivo_B »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2019, 03:26:05 am »

North Korea.

There is not much chance to practice street photography in whatever definition.
This results in very rare pictures of the country. (Relatively speaking)

Magnum Photographer Carl De Keyzer took another approach, he let him guide by officials and shot that what was him allowed to. The result is a biased but subtle  view on North Korea and it tells a lot about the regime. Carl found a way how to give us a view on North Korea by changing the premise of his approach.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:30:11 am by Ivo_B »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up