Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 136561 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #3280 on: January 26, 2020, 11:23:45 am »

Interesting point, Rob. Someone did a street interrogation of passing people in their late twenties and early thirties. I've forgotten where he was, but he asked the subjects who Adam Schiff is. None of them knew. Of course, Schiff would be appalled. After all, he's a politician who's been on TV a lot lately. But the survey shows you something about people's attention to politics.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3281 on: January 26, 2020, 12:02:07 pm »

The GOP is at it again with this "overturn the election" crapola. More hysterical nincompoopery to stir up the "base." If it were the case that Clinton would become president on Trump's removal, there would be some validity in that claim. But it would be Mike "hallucinator" Pence who would take over. And he received the exact same minority of votes that Trump did.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3282 on: January 26, 2020, 12:04:47 pm »

... But the survey shows you something about people's attention to politics.
Shooting Out Loud      Whatever the contents... seems very effective...
The basic defense calling everything a witchhunt, without going into the matter and taking the responsibility to testify as a President to the people... seems very effective...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RSL

« Reply #3283 on: January 26, 2020, 12:08:35 pm »

...he received the exact same minority of votes that Trump did.

Not from the Electoral College, Peter. What they both got was a significant majority. It's gonna be deja vu all over again this November. Prepare to eat your heart out.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3284 on: January 26, 2020, 12:38:38 pm »

We never spoke of our countrymen as the British People...

Perhaps because you’ve never been people, only the Queen’s subjects? 😉

faberryman

« Reply #3285 on: January 26, 2020, 01:04:07 pm »

Not from the Electoral College, Peter. What they both got was a significant majority. It's gonna be deja vu all over again this November. Prepare to eat your heart out.
If that occurs, it will be a real shame that the country will have to endure four more years of Trump.

Rob C

« Reply #3286 on: January 26, 2020, 01:11:28 pm »

How arrogant!

Anyway, your suggestion is specious: the situation was and remains the same before and after the introduction of the word "people" into the appellation.

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3287 on: January 26, 2020, 01:27:19 pm »

If that occurs, it will be a real shame that the country will have to endure four more years of Trump.

Hoe exactly are you worse off today?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3288 on: January 26, 2020, 02:17:55 pm »

I think the Queen's subjects were generally regarded as people. In any event, with some exceptions, anyone born in the UK after the coming into force of the British Nationality Act 1948 has been a citizen of the UK.

Jeremy

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3289 on: January 26, 2020, 02:30:47 pm »

Hoe exactly are you worse off today?

We are ALL worse off today.

RSL

« Reply #3290 on: January 26, 2020, 03:16:32 pm »

Yes, it’ll be sad, Fab. We may see another four million or more jobs created in the following four years. We’ll probably be able to continue with economic growth of more than 4 percent. Unemployment claims probably will drop even lower than the 49-year low we see at the moment. Median household income probably will continue to rise, even though it’s already hit an all-time high under Trump. African-American and Hispanic unemployment probably will drop even further than their all-time lows at the moment. I could go on listing these disastrous failures under Trump, but why bother. We’ll just have to continue with these catastrophes once Trump’s in for another four years.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3291 on: January 26, 2020, 03:17:05 pm »

I am not, at least not because of Trump.

RSL

« Reply #3292 on: January 26, 2020, 03:19:07 pm »

In what way, Peter?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3293 on: January 26, 2020, 03:33:20 pm »

In what way, Peter?

look at this tweet:  It says it all in a nutshell...

Remember; this is the president of the United States-
not your nextdoor neighbour ( i hope for you)

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Shifty Adam Schiff is a CORRUPT POLITICIAN, and probably a very sick man. He has not paid the price, yet, for what he has done to our Country!
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RSL

« Reply #3294 on: January 26, 2020, 03:42:10 pm »

look at this tweet:  It says it all in a nutshell...

Remember; this is the president of the United States-
not your nextdoor neighbour ( i hope for you)

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Shifty Adam Schiff is a CORRUPT POLITICIAN, and probably a very sick man. He has not paid the price, yet, for what he has done to our Country!

And you think this is an inaccurate statement about Schiff?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3295 on: January 26, 2020, 04:24:45 pm »

I watched a comedy show recently, can't remember which one, that sent out a "reporter" on the street to ask people if they had voted yet on the "impeachment". They didn't show the ones who saw through it all, it is just a comedy show, but they found a fair number who treated the question seriously and even a few who admitted to having voted.

If I were a US voter with no a priori axe to grind, the one thing I would certainly take away from the whole impeachment show is that witnesses were prevented from speaking. People can spin that all they want, I know what I think about it. Whether the average US voter has even noticed is a different matter.

Whatever is going at the level of the media, or social media, or anywhere else, the one thing that the Democrats should be doing at the grass roots level is to get people to register to vote. From what has been widely reported, there has been a widespread systematic effort to dis-enfranchise federal voters in the US and given the ignorance of most people on how the system works, it might be a full-time job for a lot of staffers to educate their supporters about how to vote. From my point of view, this silliness exists only because the US insists on making the right to vote a political matter instead of what it should be, a civic issue dealt with by a public body. (Btw, Alan is going to pipe in now to tell me that the way the US does it is the best way possible just like he did the last time I brought this up. And he will still be wrong.)

I was amused by Pompeo blowing up at a reporter who asked him a question he didn't like. Politics 101: when politicians get angry at journalists, that's a sure sign that the journalist is on to something.
--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3296 on: January 26, 2020, 04:31:32 pm »

In what way, Peter?

Hmm, let me name the ways. You are living in a world where Iran is more likely to get the bomb. You are living in a world where the climate is more likely to change in disastrous ways. W where the air and water are more polluted. You are living in a country where scientific expertise is being stripped from the government. Where mendacity and venality have become the norm at the highest levels of government. Where the rule of law is flouted. Etc etc etc.

Are you really not aware of all this? Or do you just not care?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3297 on: January 26, 2020, 05:10:27 pm »

And you think this is an inaccurate statement about Schiff?
I think this president is an embarrassment for the US.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3298 on: January 26, 2020, 06:03:10 pm »

In what way, Peter?

PeterAit said most of it for me. To his excellent (but far from exhaustive) list, I'll add:

Most of the western world has lost much of their respect for America.  To those of you who will invariably respond "Why should we care?", there is no temperate response.

"Get rid of her!" Trump is heard saying in recording (in the presence of a guy he claimed on TV that he'd never met) referring to one of his ambassadors.  "Get her out tomorrow. I don't care. Get her out tomorrow. Take her out. OK? Do it."

It's like something from a gangster movie.  But it's real.

The really stupid thing about Trump is that his lies are so obvious.  You'd think the "most powerful man in the world" would be smarter than that. 

But no.

We are all worse off for having to endure this atrocious, demeaning, corrupt public spectacle for nearly four years.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:08:45 pm by Peter McLennan »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3299 on: January 26, 2020, 06:06:26 pm »

We’ll probably be able to continue with economic growth of more than 4 percent.

Validation, please.  This document says that you're exaggerating by a factor of two.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp-growth

Unemployment claims probably will drop even lower than the 49-year low we see at the moment.

You want fries with those jobs?
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 196   Go Up