Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Practices for Roundtripping Between Capture One & Photoshop  (Read 728 times)

bobkaufman

Best Practices for Roundtripping Between Capture One & Photoshop
« on: September 17, 2019, 01:20:38 pm »

I’m just learning Photoshop and trying to integrate it into my Capture One workflow as efficiently as possible. I’m already running into specific issues. I would appreciate any advice on my specific questions as well as general advice.

I start from the assumption that, once I bake a raw file out to a TIFF (even 16-bit), I throw away so much power to manipulate the file. So I’d to do as much in Capture One as possible.

My first issue is that Photoshop doesn’t regenerate healing brush corrections if I swap the underlying background image. For example, I processed an image in Capture One, edited with Photoshop, saved it as a PSD, then later decided to reprocess the RAW in Capture One. I then replaced the background image in Photoshop with the newer version (exported as a TIF, opened it in Photoshop, selected it all with Command + A, and pasted it into a new background layer, hiding the old one).  Unfortunately, the healing brush corrections I previously made don’t resample from the new background, so they now don’t match the scene and are highly visible. Is there a way to get Photoshop to resample all those healing brush corrections when you replace the background? (Repeating the healing brush corrections from scratch would be time-consuming, because each heal used a different source point, and there are many dozens.) 

Second, and more generally, once I do some work to an image in Photoshop, how do I preserve the flexibility of doing further work on the IIQ file in Capture One and bringing that back into Photoshop without having to repeat all my previous Photoshop work? I’ll often come back to an image months after my original edit and decide I want to process it differently. I’d rather do that in Capture One where I have all the power of the IIQ. But I don’t want to have to repeat all my Photoshop work at that time.

Thank you! 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Best Practices for Roundtripping Between Capture One & Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 05:13:37 am »

Hi Bob,

Your question seems to be more about Photoshop than about Capture One. That could explain why it didn't get much response yet.

Part of your "Healing activities may be done in Capture One itself, which then "bakes" the adjustments in the Raw Conversion settings. But when you replace backgrounds in Photoshop, it depends on how you apply the Healing there.

Maybe you can achieve what you want by working with SmartObjects?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 06:27:02 am »

Is there a way to get Photoshop to resample all those healing brush corrections when you replace the background? (Repeating the healing brush corrections from scratch would be time-consuming, because each heal used a different

As far as i can tell there isn't a perfect way to repeat all tasks in photoshop.
Especially when it concerns painting.
You can take a look at actions in photoshop for repeating certain tasks.
Maybe some expert in Photoshop can correct me...

Your second question is about the same thing.

Phase-one and Photoshop do not communicate well.
You have to realize what you can do in photoshop and what in Phase One.
It is easier to communicate between LR and Photoshop were you are able to go back to the raw development tools.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

bobkaufman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 08:08:01 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions so far, Bart and Pieter! Next time I use the Healing Brush, I will turn that layer into a Smart Object, then change the background and see if it resamples from the new background. As for Actions, I will watch a tutorial on that to see how hard it would be to capture all the healing steps for a particular image in an Action.

In general, I'm still interested in any tips on what to do in Capture One vs Photoshop, and the extent to which I should endeavor to create a workflow to go back and forth between them, versus just take an image to a certain point in Capture One, then use Photoshop on that image from that point forward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up