Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish market  (Read 1644 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Fish market
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 05:40:51 am »

You better take this down quickly.

The kid with the "London" skirt is going to fuel speculation about another wave of migrants!

;-)

I’m sure she bought it on her last shopping trip to Harrods.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 06:09:45 am »

Sometimes there are double standards, such as in Varanasi where photographing the funeral pyres on the burning ghats is strictly forbidden, unless of course one gives a 'donation' via the priest to the 'hospices': fair enough, but I'd rather give a donation directly to the hospice and refrain from taking photos. In other countries such as Morocco the mere presence of a camera can cause apoplexy: extreme care is needed.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 10:44:23 am »

...Muslims have an issue with being photographed, and I believe it is they're right not liked to be photographed.

For myself, I decided to stop shooting...

I understand your plight... not much left to shoot in Belgium... or Europe. Landscape photography, here we come!  ;)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 11:28:28 am »

I have actually given this a lot of thought.

Yes most people are Muslims in this country. Perhaps they do have a rule about photography but it seems to be when it suits them. They take photographs of each other and they are frequently seen taking selfies. So how does this rule work exactly? Seems disingenuous to say it’s against photography unless they do it. Also as a tourist you will see local people sneaking photos of you if you are in a area where there are not many tourists.

Also you are permitted to take photos in the vegetable and spice markets which are basically just in another hall alongside the meat and fish sections. Is it then a religious thing or is it some other reason. If it was religious would it not apply all over and even in town? Personally I think it is not permitted because they do not what the rather dodgy hygiene standards to be exposed.

I had many instances of people coming to me and asking me to take photos of them and their friends. I will post an example of this. I also photographed a photographer in Dar es Salaam doing good business photographing people and giving them a print to take away. In fact I even paid to have a photo taken by him.

Fundamentally I think if you are in a public place and the laws of the country don’t outright ban photography then you are fair game. Obviously I will never take a photo that makes a person look to be drinking when they don’t drink for example but a man selling fish sells fish and there is the photo.

The brand of Islam followed in East Africa seems generally quite relaxed. I asked one local man, for example, if the people are Muslim why do I see so many drunk people. He said the drinking thing is just a recommendation, you can drink if you want to.

I am actually not at all convinced about the injunction that prohibits photography in Islam. I should do research, but Bin Laden was a bit of a poster boy for Muslim Fundamentalist extremism yet he had no issues going on TV and making pronouncements. Explain that to me.

Martin, I hope you are not offended by my post. I did not post it with the intention to give comment on your decision to make the picture.

You are right, it is difficult to understand why some muslim have issues being photographed and other don't mind. Maybe it has to see with the local sensitivities here in Belgium. Maybe it has to do how fundamentalistic the peoples profess their faith. I remember visiting the Fatih quarter in Istanbul. I was strongly advised not to take my camera with me for mentioned reasons.....

I think, shoot or not, is something to assess at the moment and depending on the situation and the uniqueness of what's happening in front of the lens....

Kind regards

Ivo

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 11:36:25 am »

Sometimes there are double standards, such as in Varanasi where photographing the funeral pyres on the burning ghats is strictly forbidden, unless of course one gives a 'donation' via the priest to the 'hospices': fair enough, but I'd rather give a donation directly to the hospice and refrain from taking photos. In other countries such as Morocco the mere presence of a camera can cause apoplexy: extreme care is needed.

Yes,
Mostly the north African (read Moroccan) immigrants make trouble about being photographed.
I don't like it, but it's reality....

rabanito

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 11:48:31 am »

Martin, I hope you are not offended by my post. I did not post it with the intention to give comment on your decision to make the picture.

You are right, it is difficult to understand why some muslim have issues being photographed and other don't mind. Maybe it has to see with the local sensitivities here in Belgium. Maybe it has to do how fundamentalistic the peoples profess their faith. I remember visiting the Fatih quarter in Istanbul. I was strongly advised not to take my camera with me for mentioned reasons.....

I think, shoot or not, is something to assess at the moment and depending on the situation and the uniqueness of what's happening in front of the lens....

Kind regards

Ivo

Not only the muslims, I think
Almost nobody I know likes tourists or similars clicking their cameras on oneself and publishing the results some where.

I remember coming to an indian market somewhere in South America.
Seeing my camera and intuiting my intentions an indian lady approached me and quietly told me
"You know, there were some tourists last day taking photographs of us like we were animals. Some of us got some big rocks like this I'm holding now and threw them to them until they were gone".
"Shame on those tourists!" I answered - and put my camera away.

Yes, paying does sometimes work, but then they are your employees, in some way.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:53:32 am by rabanito »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 02:08:59 pm »

Kind regards

Ivo

Not insulted in the slightest Ivo. I am quite comfortable making up my own mind and if someone doesn’t agree with me that’s also OK. I do assess in each case and have often put my camera away if I feel that the right thing to do.

In this case Zanzibar depends on and exploits tourists fairly mercilessly. Then they set rules that suit them and appear to me to be quite arbitrary. In that case I see it as a game and I play my rules. In Tibet I am asked to not photograph sky burial sites and I would never dream of ignoring that request.

I try to be nice. 

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 03:24:53 pm »

Not insulted in the slightest Ivo. I am quite comfortable making up my own mind and if someone doesn’t agree with me that’s also OK. I do assess in each case and have often put my camera away if I feel that the right thing to do.

In this case Zanzibar depends on and exploits tourists fairly mercilessly. Then they set rules that suit them and appear to me to be quite arbitrary. In that case I see it as a game and I play my rules. In Tibet I am asked to not photograph sky burial sites and I would never dream of ignoring that request.

I try to be nice.

Yet there you are: those Tibetan sites have featured in several documentaries that I have watched.

I think it comes down to two principal versions of the theme: there are those who genuinely feel a religious dislike towards being photographed; there are those situations, such as where film crews are involved, that the greater fiscal benefit of publicity and tourism becomes paramount.

Guess I'm suggesting that I believe most things that are forbidden have their purchase price.

KLaban

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2019, 03:45:03 pm »

...Almost nobody I know likes tourists or similars clicking their cameras on oneself and publishing the results some where...

In India our experience is precisely the opposite. Never have we known such insistence from local people to be photographed. As always there are exceptions that need to be respected.

But of course the clamour isn't always advantageous.

rabanito

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 05:48:23 pm »

Guess I'm suggesting that I believe most things that are forbidden have their purchase price.

Everything has its price.
Not only voluntarily paid, it can be extorted.

KLaban

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2019, 03:44:33 pm »

Very remiss of me, Martin, I've replied four times to your thread but have have failed to say how much I like this image.

I like it very much indeed.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2019, 05:18:41 pm »

Martin,
I, too, got side-tracked by all the discussion of rules, Harrod's, etc.
I like all three of the photos you have posted in this thread.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2019, 05:20:53 pm »

Hahaha...

+3

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 02:17:37 am »

Thank you everyone. I like the photo as well. I was pleased when I spotted it amongst all the crap from that day’s images.

I was pleased that we ended up in the debate about street photography and permissions and so on. I do have a position on all this but it doesn’t mean it’s set in stone. I think about it a lot and have over the years changed my mind about certain aspects.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2019, 09:59:23 am »

Hi Martin,

I too, find Fish Market a wonderful picture...

Peter

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2019, 10:10:52 am »

Thank you Peter.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 07:47:34 am »

For those interested in learning more about octopi, the book Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery is a fascinating read. But yes, they are delicious!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up