Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish market  (Read 1643 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Fish market
« on: August 23, 2019, 04:47:05 am »

The auction area of the fish market in Zanzibar. I had to sneak this unfortunately.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

Re: Fish market
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 07:49:28 am »

Martin, why did it have to be stolen?

It seems quite an inoffensive situation, but I think a few cats clocked you...

Saw a docu. last night on the BBC about intelligence and the octopus: it was an eye-opener. These creatures are supposed to be violently solitary, but they showed what appeared to be a community of them living together in harmony. I was distracted with trying to ensure I put the right drops into the right eyes at the time, but I think the location was Zanzibar, though not prepared to say it on oath!

Much of the programme was taken up with the extraordinary relationship the appeared to develop between the octopus and the people who keep one in a large tank at home; might be a heavy case of anthropomorphism, but the thing really seemed to know what was going down outside its glass tank; it interacted with the people and learned memory tricks too. Remarkable.

There used to be a fish market in Glasgow, Scotland; I wonder if it exists today? Stamper might know.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:00:50 am by Rob C »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 07:57:24 am »

Hey Rob. I was told no photos. One of those situations where no one minds you using a cell phone but pick up a camera and everyone flips out.

I won’t eat octopus. Those things are smart. I once watched a person catch one in Mauritius. It was horrific. Nonsensical I know but there you have it.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 09:03:41 am »

Hey Rob. I was told no photos. One of those situations where no one minds you using a cell phone but pick up a camera and everyone flips out.

I won’t eat octopus. Those things are smart. I once watched a person catch one in Mauritius. It was horrific. Nonsensical I know but there you have it.

I understand. They catch them sometimes on the quayside near the yacht club; ink covers much of the pavement.

But hey, they taste great!

;-)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 10:09:28 am »

Octopus salad with samphire and other pickled baby vegetables, downed with a glass or three of Ouzo.

Scrummy!

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 10:11:29 am »

Martin, respect, it takes balls to shoot when you have been told not to.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 10:18:53 am »

But look at that freaking quality from a phone!!!

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 10:23:52 am »

But look at that freaking quality from a phone!!!

No phone I’m afraid. I developed a technique where I hold the camera one handed vertically and can still find the back focus button. It was very hit and miss to start with as I’m not a natural with that style but i am OK with it now. Shot on a Sony A9

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 10:43:04 am »

So, this is a crop from a vertical frame?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 10:49:01 am »

You are correct Slobodan. I don’t shoot a lot of verticals in my normal style but when I shoot like this I can pull lots of horizontals out of the vertical and since I’m usually looking where I’m not shooting framing can be quite off. I haven’t found a comfortable way to hold a camera horizontally when shooting like this.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 02:49:50 pm »

You are correct Slobodan. I don’t shoot a lot of verticals in my normal style but when I shoot like this I can pull lots of horizontals out of the vertical and since I’m usually looking where I’m not shooting framing can be quite off. I haven’t found a comfortable way to hold a camera horizontally when shooting like this.

There's something available out of Pocket Wizard, I think, where the thing that sits in the camera accessory slot can be triggered to release the shutter rather than fire a flash. Holding the firing unit in your hand in a pocket would not be noticed if the shutter itself is a quiet one.

At the end of the day, the call is whether or not the shot is worth the risks.

Rob

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 03:29:16 pm »

There's something available out of Pocket Wizard, I think, where the thing that sits in the camera accessory slot can be triggered to release the shutter rather than fire a flash. Holding the firing unit in your hand in a pocket would not be noticed if the shutter itself is a quiet one.

At the end of the day, the call is whether or not the shot is worth the risks.

Rob

I should look into that. I could put the camera around my neck. I hardly ever use a neck strap but I could do that. I prefer wrist straps

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 03:38:42 pm »

You ended up with a fine picture, Martin, no matter the obstacles.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 12:28:12 am »

Thank you Russ. Much appreciated.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 03:32:56 am »

Pocket Wizard or better value for the money: Hahnel Capture.

It is an interesting image. For sure.

Martin, the peoples you have on the image, are that Muslims? Muslims have an issue with being photographed, and I believe it is they're right not liked to be photographed.

For myself, I decided to stop shooting if it is clearly not allowed or if peoples not allow to be photographed. This personal decision has to see with European privacy regulation and  the lack of local complementary regulation. In certain European countries, we (non journalist photographers) have notting legal in hand to cover GDPR and privacy regulation.
Apart from a legal constraint, I also believe we (photographers) should have an ethical conduct. I'm not sure if taking sneaky shots is still within my ethical code.
I think there is a difference in taking a shot on the street with peoples, maybe not aware of the picture taken, and going into a room where it is not allowed to shoot, and take pictures with kind of spionage techniques.

I recently had a discussion with a third generation immigrant muslim who made objection because I was shooting on the street with my GRII, not concealed, but from the chest. It was a very cumbersome discussion with no outcome, but it made me thinking. Although I found his arguments an example of clashing cultures, I put myself in his place and by doing so, I could see some reasonability in his arguments, arguments not from a photographers point of view, but from a person on the streets view. That's where I started to rethink my ethical code.

There is a paradigma shift ongoing in the western collective mind set. Few days ago, a girl posted a videoclip on instagram. Some militants of the communist party burning a flag of the nationalist Flemish party. The president of that nationalist party reposted this video, including the girls insta account name, on twitter. Huge consternation, a president of a political party was doxxing a young girl.

Some say: what's the problem? The girl posted the video in first place, she could expect somebody reposting it.
A Belgian university professor was asked his opinion and in short he said: The president of the national party infringed the girl's privacy because by reposting the instagram message, he stole the girls control over here social media content........

That's where we are going, and we should better deal with it, I'm afraid.

Ivo

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 03:33:46 am »

But it is a great picture! 8) 8)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 03:50:08 am »

Pocket Wizard or better value for the money: Hahnel Capture.

It is an interesting image. For sure.

Martin, the peoples you have on the image, are that Muslims? Muslims have an issue with being photographed, and I believe it is they're right not liked to be photographed.

For myself, I decided to stop shooting if it is clearly not allowed or if peoples not allow to be photographed. This personal decision has to see with European privacy regulation and  the lack of local complementary regulation. In certain European countries, we (non journalist photographers) have notting legal in hand to cover GDPR and privacy regulation.
Apart from a legal constraint, I also believe we (photographers) should have an ethical conduct. I'm not sure if taking sneaky shots is still within my ethical code.
I think there is a difference in taking a shot on the street with peoples, maybe not aware of the picture taken, and going into a room where it is not allowed to shoot, and take pictures with kind of spionage techniques.

I recently had a discussion with a third generation immigrant muslim who made objection because I was shooting on the street with my GRII, not concealed, but from the chest. It was a very cumbersome discussion with no outcome, but it made me thinking. Although I found his arguments an example of clashing cultures, I put myself in his place and by doing so, I could see some reasonability in his arguments, arguments not from a photographers point of view, but from a person on the streets view. That's where I started to rethink my ethical code.

There is a paradigma shift ongoing in the western collective mind set. Few days ago, a girl posted a videoclip on instagram. Some militants of the communist party burning a flag of the nationalist Flemish party. The president of that nationalist party reposted this video, including the girls insta account name, on twitter. Huge consternation, a president of a political party was doxxing a young girl.

Some say: what's the problem? The girl posted the video in first place, she could expect somebody reposting it.
A Belgian university professor was asked his opinion and in short he said: The president of the national party infringed the girl's privacy because by reposting the instagram message, he stole the girls control over here social media content........

That's where we are going, and we should better deal with it, I'm afraid.

Ivo

I have actually given this a lot of thought.

Yes most people are Muslims in this country. Perhaps they do have a rule about photography but it seems to be when it suits them. They take photographs of each other and they are frequently seen taking selfies. So how does this rule work exactly? Seems disingenuous to say it’s against photography unless they do it. Also as a tourist you will see local people sneaking photos of you if you are in a area where there are not many tourists.

Also you are permitted to take photos in the vegetable and spice markets which are basically just in another hall alongside the meat and fish sections. Is it then a religious thing or is it some other reason. If it was religious would it not apply all over and even in town? Personally I think it is not permitted because they do not what the rather dodgy hygiene standards to be exposed.

I had many instances of people coming to me and asking me to take photos of them and their friends. I will post an example of this. I also photographed a photographer in Dar es Salaam doing good business photographing people and giving them a print to take away. In fact I even paid to have a photo taken by him.

Fundamentally I think if you are in a public place and the laws of the country don’t outright ban photography then you are fair game. Obviously I will never take a photo that makes a person look to be drinking when they don’t drink for example but a man selling fish sells fish and there is the photo.

The brand of Islam followed in East Africa seems generally quite relaxed. I asked one local man, for example, if the people are Muslim why do I see so many drunk people. He said the drinking thing is just a recommendation, you can drink if you want to.

I am actually not at all convinced about the injunction that prohibits photography in Islam. I should do research, but Bin Laden was a bit of a poster boy for Muslim Fundamentalist extremism yet he had no issues going on TV and making pronouncements. Explain that to me.   

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 04:05:09 am »

I was asked to take this photo

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 04:20:04 am »

Local people paying to have their photo taken

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 05:18:34 am »

I was asked to take this photo

You better take this down quickly.

The kid with the "London" skirt is going to fuel speculation about another wave of migrants!

;-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up