Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Ryzen 3rd Gen  (Read 9692 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Ryzen 3rd Gen
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2020, 05:09:59 pm »

I can’t comment on 128GB, as my second ryzen System just uses 64GB, but it uses 4x16GB running at 3200 on a x570 Board.

In a few weeks I can tell how my 256GB are running. They are also 8x32Gb specs at 3200.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

armand

• Photos
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2020, 01:57:39 pm »

I finally decided to bite the bullet and order the stuff: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MyDqwh

Because I decided to give my current computer to the kids for work/games I added more stuff than I needed.
So the changes that reflect my actual configuration will be:
- I'll keep my current video card, RTX 2060 (instead of the 1660 Super from the list)
- I'll keep my current dual monitor setup (instead of the gaming Dell monitor)

I should have all the parts by early next week and I will know in a day or two if everything goes well. My only concern would be the 128 GB RAM but I'm cautiously optimistic.

geneo

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2020, 03:51:14 pm »

Looks great though wondering why the 120mm case fans instead of 140mm - the 140mm will move more air with less noise.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 04:02:07 pm by geneo »
Walk softly and carry a big lens

armand

• Photos
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2020, 05:04:25 pm »

Looks great though wondering why the 120mm case fans instead of 140mm - the 140mm will move more air with less noise.

The case already has some fans and I'm not sure how much room I have, that's why I ordered o combo of 120 and 140. This is the easiest thing to change though.

geneo

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2020, 06:55:48 pm »

The case already has some fans and I'm not sure how much room I have, that's why I ordered o combo of 120 and 140. This is the easiest thing to change though.

Ah, thought you were replacing the Fractal fans that came with the case (the Noctua would be a worthy replacement).
Looks great and a pretty decent price for a system with 128 GB.

I am running Gigabyte Master z390, g.skill (64GB), Noctua NH-D15, Noctua fans, Fractal Design R4, RTX 2070 Super. Similar except Intel and 1 Gen behind you. This build should perform well.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:04:54 pm by geneo »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2020, 11:43:14 pm »

Ah, thought you were replacing the Fractal fans that came with the case (the Noctua would be a worthy replacement).
Looks great and a pretty decent price for a system with 128 GB.

I am running Gigabyte Master z390, g.skill (64GB), Noctua NH-D15, Noctua fans, Fractal Design R4, RTX 2070 Super. Similar except Intel and 1 Gen behind you. This build should perform well.

Will see. I have the same case as you, its own Fractal Design fans were good enough for me; when not trying a mild overclock the entire thing is silent (I use only SSDs for usual work).

armand

• Photos
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2020, 01:50:34 am »

I finally got time to install the basics. I already posted the last configuration: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/NFWD4D

As I built my last computer more than 6 years ago I got a little rusty. Took me longer than I recall to setup the case and get everything in order.
As an example of rustiness while I was trying to figure out how the Ryzen went into the socket (not that obvious, at least less than the Intels I used in the past) I managed to drop the processor which resulted in multiple bent pins. When I tried to fix the first with some pliers I overbent it in the opposite side and I thought I broke it. Lesson learnt, I used only a blade and after few tense minutes and ~10 straightened pins I managed to get it back in shape and it's working.

Otherwise it all worked fine from the beginning, no issues. I'm happy to report the the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master supports the 128 GB of GSkill Trident Z Neo; by default it sees it at 2667 MHz but enabling the XMP profile is one click away and worked without issues and now it's 3200MHz, I don't see the need to overclock it beyond this

This time I got the PugetBench for LR to run, I attached the results and a couple of cellphone shots of the interior. I'll probably open it again at some point, I'm not convinced I got the thermal paste properly and after I properly read the manual and look through the motherboard cables I see that there is a noise monitor also.
What you don't see in those pictures are 5 SSDs and 1 HDDs, all on the other side of the case. One thing that drove me nuts for 30 min or so was a sound as if the Windows kept detecting a drive, I thought one has a loose cable. It was just the external card reader.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2020, 07:02:24 am »

Congratulations !
Seems like a great speedy machine for a very decent price... well done.
 am sure it will be as fast as a new macpro costing $$$
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

armand

• Photos
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2020, 09:15:43 am »

Congratulations !
Seems like a great speedy machine for a very decent price... well done.
 am sure it will be as fast as a new macpro costing $$$

Thank you.

I run again the benchmark for Photoshop and it's less impressive but still quite significantly better than before.
I do have some questions regarding its validity because on the new computer the graphic card score is much higher despite being the same card.

geneo

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:59 pm »

Thank you.

I run again the benchmark for Photoshop and it's less impressive but still quite significantly better than before.
I do have some questions regarding its validity because on the new computer the graphic card score is much higher despite being the same card.

First, thanks for posting these. I was thinking about getting a 3900x, but my current scores are about the same so that won't be a justification.

I found the final scores are very sensitive to the individual ones. A small, insignificant IMO, individual score results in a larger overall score. I do not think you will notice tens to 50's difference in the overall score, but will in the hundreds.

What really makes a significant difference is processor speed and instructions per clock cycle, less so number of cores. So when you jump generations of processor you will see significant differences.

As for GPU scores, you are running a different architecture (AMD) which will have a different PCI implementation, different graphics drivers, different photoshop graphics interface implementation to some level, all of which can make a difference in the GPU score.

I look to the individual test for differences. You know what they are doing and the result (seconds to run), instead of dome concocted overall score. I think these numbers are valid.

I should add too that there are a number of patches in the OS for Intel vulnerabilities that affect performance. These are not present for the AMD processor and may account for the GPU score difference.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:35:01 pm by geneo »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2020, 01:55:52 pm »

Looks great.

I'm about ready to pull the pin on this - I need a project while at home...

Think I'm going to go the Define 7 and put the MSI Creation in it.  It'll be a squeeze and limit harddrive installs, but lot's of room for M.2 drives and 2.5SSDs

Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2020, 02:08:56 pm »

Looks great.

I'm about ready to pull the pin on this - I need a project while at home...

Think I'm going to go the Define 7 and put the MSI Creation in it.  It'll be a squeeze and limit harddrive installs, but lot's of room for M.2 drives and 2.5SSDs

It will definitely be tight in there. If you have the room there is also the Define 7 XL.

geneo

« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2020, 02:40:28 pm »

It will definitely be tight in there. If you have the room there is also the Define 7 XL.

That E-ATX board might not fit in the Define 7 case.

EDIT: NM, looks like it will but will be tight.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:48:22 pm by geneo »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2020, 05:23:07 pm »

Yeah...found these two builds with the 6...tight yes, but not something that isn't possible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/KBmFf7#e=1875

Do you think I'm crazy?

That E-ATX board might not fit in the Define 7 case.

EDIT: NM, looks like it will but will be tight.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

geneo

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2020, 05:33:09 pm »

Yeah...found these two builds with the 6...tight yes, but not something that isn't possible.

Do you think I'm crazy?

ME? I would do what Armand suggested and get an XL define case. As far as the MSI board, with the quad channel memory it should scream, but I have no feel on the quality of the MSI board.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2020, 05:47:06 pm »

Do you think I'm crazy?

I just opened mine to replace the thermal past and rearrange some fan cables before you posted this and yes, it can be done. I forgot the E-ATX is wider and not taller. That means however that all your cables will have to come from above or below, the side ports will be covered.
Even with mine, accessing some of the small fan connections on the board has been a headache, I would advise having some extra connectors and plug them before you get the motherboard in the case.

With the proper fan connections I did decrease a little the noise but unfortunately there is no comparison between this and my older Intel build, Intel was practically silent while this is easily audible, particularly when you do heavier lifting.

JaapD

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2020, 10:35:33 am »

Regarding PC cases, what do you guys think of the Dune Pro case, the look-alike from the fruit company?

Regards,
Jaap.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2020, 11:32:55 am »

Regarding PC cases, what do you guys think of the Dune Pro case, the look-alike from the fruit company?

Regards,
Jaap.

Didn't hear about it until now (not that means much). Looks ok but unless you want to build a Hackintosh, why this one?

A case I contemplated before staying with Fractal Design was this one from Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Carbide-Series%E2%84%A2-Air-540-High-Airflow-ATX-Cube-Case/p/CC-9011030-WW
I liked how you have 2 distinct compartments, well separated: power source and storage in one, the high heat producing stuff  on the other side. You can optimize the airflow per compartment.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2020, 11:02:33 am »

I finally got time to install the basics. I already posted the last configuration: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/NFWD4D
So, after two months, are you still happy with this build? Real world, Photoshop and Lightroom?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:26:47 am by David Eckels »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2020, 12:32:01 pm »

So, after two months, are you still happy with this build? Real world, Photoshop and Lightroom?

Overall it meets expectations.

It's definitely faster than my old one but that was not in question. The difference is bigger on import and previews, and Photoshop work (I don't go often in Photoshop though).
Would I notice the difference compared to a i9? Probably not enough.
It is a little noisier than I would like, although it's not that bad per se, but my old one was practically silent.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up