Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Irritating mouse behavior  (Read 1545 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Irritating mouse behavior
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:27:05 pm »

WHen working on image in photoshop, I keep loosing my mouse cursor.  It dissapears and after moving it alot , it reappears.  The cursor appears when the mouse is over the desktop, but not present when over the Photoshop window.  WHen it does reappear it's location is all over the the screen or the screen on my second monitor.

this Happens alot and has become very irritating.
Can anyone help?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Irritating mouse behavior
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 03:47:55 am »

Maybe a few more details would help; windows or mac?  bluetooth, Usb or wired mouse, or a touchpad?

I'd start with downloading the latest mouse driver (if win, not sure how this works in IOS)

I use a USB mouse on windows.  I have seen this behavior very occasionally.  Mouse also very occasionally freezes but will either unfreeze soon after or I replace the battery.

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 07:15:02 am »

I'm on a Mac and use two monitors. One is used for the image I'm working on in Photoshop, and the other is used for the menus and panels. I too suffer from the occasional disappearing cursor when I hover over the monitor displaying the image. My solution is simply to click on the desktop on the other monitor, then drag the cursor across. You will have to click on the image again to restore the particular tool you were using.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:47:05 am by Eric Kellerman »

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 07:47:28 am »

I'm on a Mac and use two monitors. One is used for the image I'm working on, and the other is used for the menus and panels. I too suffer from the occasional disappearing cursor when I hover over the monitor displaying the image. My solution is simply to click on the desktop on the other monitor, then drag the cursor across. You will have to click on the image again to restore the particular tool you were using.

I have four rather old Logitech wireless mice that I've been using for more than 14 years on three Mac Pros and one Windows machine.  They simply fit my hand so well that the newer Logitech I bought as a possible backup still sits in the drawer waiting to make its debut, although I doubt that will happen soon.  It's rather obvious when they need new batteries, and it takes about 30 seconds to bring them back to life.  If the OP is using Mac(s) I would suggest he/she should perhaps post this issue in the Apple Forums here -- https://discussions.apple.com/welcome.  I'm sure the folks there would have some very helpful information to share.  I imagine such a forum exists for Windows users as well. 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 10:52:57 am »

How long have you been experiencing this with the mouse?

How long have you been editing in PS with the mouse when this happens?

Does the normal behavior return after closing PS and reopening it?

What are the specs on your computer?  Lots of RAM?  Disk space available?
Regards,
Ron

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 01:25:52 pm »

I am on a MAC   32 GB of ram with lots of disc space available.

It seems to occur after photoshop has been open for a while and editiing.

As an aside, I have noticed that after photoshop has been open for time and then inactive but still open, the program seems to exhibit instability and starts behaving wierd.  restarting it alleviates.  By contrast, leaving LR open for long periods has no effect and it remains normal for very long intervals.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

smahn

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 03:09:21 pm »

Any other input devices attached - a Wacom tablet, a bluetooth mouse? Might be worth testing with wifi and bluetooth turned off to see if there's some sort of interference.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 04:29:56 pm »

Anything unusual in your PS preferences?  For example, Performance or Scratch Disks?

Using graphics processor?
Regards,
Ron

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 05:30:48 pm »

What version of Photoshop?
Gary N.

faberryman

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 05:35:21 pm »

What version of Photoshop?
I used to regularly lose my mouse pointer. I swapped my Apple mouse for a Logitech and my problems went away. I think the Apple bluetooth transmitter is weak and easily loses connection.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 08:14:35 pm »

Anything unusual in your PS preferences?  For example, Performance or Scratch Disks?

Using graphics processor?

Yes, using graphics card.  the other settings are default--nothing unusual

Photoshop CC current version

the mouse is Bluetooth

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

TonyW

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 05:36:19 am »

Yes, using graphics card.  the other settings are default.....
As the problem disappears when mouse cursor on the desktop it sounds likely that this is a PS issue.  I would start first trashing preferences then if no change look at graphics card set up

Try disabling graphics acceleration for a while and see if problem persists.

Check your graphics card drivers are up to date and take necessary action

Garnick

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 07:31:53 am »

Yes, using graphics card.  the other settings are default--nothing unusual

Photoshop CC current version

the mouse is Bluetooth

MDIJB

As mentioned in a previous post, I've never been a fan of the Apple Bluetooth mouse, mostly for ergonomic reasons.  Hence my use of rather old Logitech mice.  They just work.  Mine are Cordless Optical and they simply keep jugging along, somewhat like myself I suppose.  Two questions -- what's the model and vintage of your Mac?  Also, have you had any other issues that might perhaps be related to a failing GPU?  If that is the case it could also affect the performance of the mouse.  One thing I know is that if your GPU crashes, so does your Mac.  It might however provide some signs that it's ready to pull the plug.  And as I mentioned, if that happens your Mac will not boot up.  Dead GPU = Dead Mac.  I think perhaps you should try a different mouse, not Bluetooth.  Not saying that will solve the problem, but mice are not expensive and you could at least eliminate one variable perhaps. 
Gary N.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 05:11:45 pm »

Is your logitech mouse a bluetooth mouse? Does it have a Right click option?
mdiimaging.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 08:55:27 am »

Win has a setting, maybe Mac does too, that makes the pointer location obvious when you tap Ctrl.

Garnick

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 11:43:12 am »

Is your logitech mouse a bluetooth mouse? Does it have a Right click option?

I assume your question is aimed at me.  Therefore, my answer is NO and YES.  These mice have there own individual receivers with a USB cable.  Plug & play, as with all Mac peripherals.  And yes, they do have a right-click button as well, very useful.  The one I use on my main Work Mac-Pro at my workstation was purchased approximately 13 years ago and is till performing beautifully.  Of course the newer wireless Logitech Mice have a small USB stick with the receiver built-in.  Very compact.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:55:56 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

faberryman

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 11:47:50 am »

I assume your question is aimed at me.  Therefore, my answer is NO and YES.  These mice have there own individual transceivers with a USB cable.  Plug & play, as with all Mac peripherals.  And yes, they do have a right-click button as well, very useful.  The one I use on my main Work Mac Pro at my workstation was purchased approximately 13 years ago and is till performing beautifully.  Of course the newer wireless Logitech Mice have a small USB stick with the transceiver built-in.  Very compact.   
I have a Logitech bluetooth mouse and it has right click.

Garnick

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 11:53:29 am »

Win has a setting, maybe Mac does too, that makes the pointer location obvious when you tap Ctrl.

There are a number of add-on apps to help find the cursor on the Mac if necessary.  However, the built-in method is to giggle the cursor quickly and it enlarges immediately to let you know where it is.  There may be another procedure like what you mentioned for Win, but I'm not aware of that one for the Mac.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:57:04 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 05:41:27 pm »

This reminded me of when my mouse went erratic.  In the end it turned out to be a fault that developed in the touch screen. Turning off the touch screen cured it.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 06:23:01 pm »

I did noat notice before but now it seems that my mouse issue occurs mainly, if not only, when in Photoshop.

ANy new insights?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up