Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sir Don in Calcutta  (Read 2585 times)

elliot_n

Re: Sir Don in Calcutta
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 12:04:20 pm »

He's also boosting the makeshift cooking device by way of a household fan.

What's cookin'? Do you partake in the street food? (I must confess I hesitate to go to India as so many say they get sick.)

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 12:42:08 pm »

What's cookin'? Do you partake in the street food? (I must confess I hesitate to go to India as so many say they get sick.)

It almost killed me when I was about nine. Dysentery and dehydration. And that was eating at home. You don't have any idea what your fingers or those of the cooks and servers touch and pick up. My doc went there on holiday, and when he returned we chatted about the experience. According to him, everybody he saw in the street carried the symptoms of some illness or another.

Street food, unless piping heat hot, is a risk I would never take; ditto cold drinks on the street. Maybe unopened Coke's okay, but forget the juice and ice crushes, and water unless you know the water has been boiled and stored safely.

Don't forget that what people native to a circumstance can get away with is often greater than your own ability to survive the same. As with viruses, people can built up resistances.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:46:23 pm by Rob C »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 12:52:18 pm »

I've only experienced problems with food in Spain and when staying in and eating in luxurious Haveli in India. You can get ill anywhere. Stick with well cooked veg dishes - no hardship there - and you should be fine. Take plenty of antibacterial handwipes and use them.

I'm 70 years old with a history of cancer, heart disease, carotid artery disease and stroke. I could sit on my sofa and wait to die or I could make the most of the rest of my life.

No contest.

And avoid illegal alcohol!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:56:02 pm by KLaban »

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 04:06:45 pm »

Spoken with the true bravado of youth!

:-)

Rob

KLaban

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 05:31:59 pm »

I wish.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 05:52:10 pm »

I wish.

Compared with me, you are! Enjoy the difference.

It's only partly physical. You are already aware of that, but as you also know, it takes more than a snap of the fingers to motivate a dead man, and I have been pretty much dead for over ten years now. Frankly, other than getting this apartment sold at a decent price and taking it out of the inheritance tax situation for the kids, not a lot matters squat to me other than paying my way and staying able to get medical help which I will always require.

Pictures have turned into nothing but time-fillers; that they aren't even ones I particularly want to take doesn't help, but it's the only therapy in town. Summer makes it even worse because the place gets so crowded and I hate the sense of being caught up in a tide of humanity like that. At least, come winter it turns into a ghost town which has disadvantages for sure, but also the real advantage that I have more energy and, strangely enough, do love rainy day pictures. Even of shop windows and dummies within.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 06:04:08 pm »

Dude, this needs to move to Street section ASAP!!!!!!

The guy clearly is in agony and losing sleep over a conversation he had. In a good sense like being in love and no clue what to say until it's well too late, or in a bad sense in that it still gives him nightmares. Ambiguity right there...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

KLaban

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 03:52:15 am »

Compared with me, you are! Enjoy the difference.

It's only partly physical. You are already aware of that, but as you also know, it takes more than a snap of the fingers to motivate a dead man, and I have been pretty much dead for over ten years now. Frankly, other than getting this apartment sold at a decent price and taking it out of the inheritance tax situation for the kids, not a lot matters squat to me other than paying my way and staying able to get medical help which I will always require.

Pictures have turned into nothing but time-fillers; that they aren't even ones I particularly want to take doesn't help, but it's the only therapy in town. Summer makes it even worse because the place gets so crowded and I hate the sense of being caught up in a tide of humanity like that. At least, come winter it turns into a ghost town which has disadvantages for sure, but also the real advantage that I have more energy and, strangely enough, do love rainy day pictures. Even of shop windows and dummies within.

The difference is essentially one of mindset.

No love of humanity = no go to India.

KLaban

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 04:12:05 am »

Dude, this needs to move to Street section ASAP!!!!!!

The guy clearly is in agony and losing sleep over a conversation he had. In a good sense like being in love and no clue what to say until it's well too late, or in a bad sense in that it still gives him nightmares. Ambiguity right there...

I'm concerned it might be pigeonholed real street

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 04:42:37 am »

The difference is essentially one of mindset.

No love of humanity = no go to India.

Makes sense.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up