Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Everyone has a story  (Read 7055 times)

Rob C

Re: Everyone has a story
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 06:46:15 am »

This is exactly what Nan Goldin is expressing. The soaring and the crashing.

I can only see her pavement pizza.

;-(

elliot_n

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 06:54:16 am »

Tate Modern is currently showing a very good presentation of her slideshow 'The Ballad of Sexual Dependency'. It's full of joy as well as sadness.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 08:09:04 am »

Nan Goldin. Crewdson.

Two who celebrate the "norm" and to what point? One does it via crappy technique and the other does it via overkill and LF. In neither case is anything worth saying or seeing said or seen. Those pictures just are: there, and of no consequence, like almost ninety percent of what we ever see.

As Slobodan says, we are surrounded by crap every day, wherever we turn. It's why people hang onto their cars: to keep personal, physical distance from the stinking herd. To avoid contamination with the quotidian that threatens our very existence as individuals. It's why people pay through the nose for expensive cameras, trips to the polar regions, to safari camps; it's why others buy yachts and Ferraris - to be different and depending on their ambience, even that is often not enough.

The average is a mess; it's what many strive to leave behind, and why the race to whatever goal is there: it's the natural desire to escape that greyness, to soar with those fucking eagles at least for five minutes in one's life before crashing back down into the crowded cesspit of average humanity.

What's to celebrate about average?

How on earth do you get out of bed in the morning?

:-(

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 08:50:43 am »

How on earth do you get out of bed in the morning?

:-(

Very carefully!

:-)

degrub

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 11:01:56 am »

you beat the average every waking morning !  :)

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 11:06:29 am »

you beat the average every waking morning !  :)

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, I'm going to accept that as compliment, and dedicate it to my tombstone; not that I want one, of course!

;-)

Rob

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 10:28:47 am »

If it does, I wouldn't advertise it to the world.

Your prerogative. The people in the photograph chose to do so to go against the normality. Against what is considered beauty by the average person.

Having a scar from heart surgery, a not perfect nose, or a burn scar, do they make those people ugly?

I find it interesting that those proclaiming here against the crap average daily life, of wanting to soar with the eagles, etc, they are the ones demonstrating average and normal behaviour. By looking at the people in the article as being ugly.

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 11:44:56 am »

Your prerogative. The people in the photograph chose to do so to go against the normality. Against what is considered beauty by the average person.

Having a scar from heart surgery, a not perfect nose, or a burn scar, do they make those people ugly?

I find it interesting that those proclaiming here against the crap average daily life, of wanting to soar with the eagles, etc, they are the ones demonstrating average and normal behaviour. By looking at the people in the article as being ugly.

If I understand you correctly: if one looks at unattractive people, whether they ended up there by nature or accident, then the act of looking renders the looker normal or average unless he refuses to accept the evidence of sight? i would have imagined that denying the evidence of one's own sight and judgement would be neither normal nor average, just perverse.

Being normal or average is either good or bad depending upon the situation being calibrated. I can wish that my heart were normal or average and my sight devoid of cataracts, but wishing doth not make it so. I wish that I could sing and play guitar or piano, but again I am not even average: I suck at both activities.

As for my eagles, without my specs I don't even know when they are there. But once I did.

Denial changes nothing. It's but a cloak.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 05:21:16 am »

If I understand you correctly: if one looks at unattractive people, whether they ended up there by nature or accident, then the act of looking renders the looker normal or average unless he refuses to accept the evidence of sight? i would have imagined that denying the evidence of one's own sight and judgement would be neither normal nor average, just perverse.

Being normal or average is either good or bad depending upon the situation being calibrated. I can wish that my heart were normal or average and my sight devoid of cataracts, but wishing doth not make it so. I wish that I could sing and play guitar or piano, but again I am not even average: I suck at both activities.

As for my eagles, without my specs I don't even know when they are there. But once I did.

Denial changes nothing. It's but a cloak.

Your starting point - that people with surgical scars, crooked noses, etc, are ugly and not normal, is wrong. There is beauty in everyone.

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 07:04:28 am »

Your starting point - that people with surgical scars, crooked noses, etc, are ugly and not normal, is wrong. There is beauty in everyone.

On the assumption that you refer to the invisible, the spiritual, I agree wholeheartedly with you Paulo.

That does not apply, unfortunately, to the physical being. Were I mistaken, then there would exist no models, actresses; heart-throbs to take wives away on mental journeys to Hollywood whilst lying in bed under a beer belly.

There is beauty as there is the quotidian and the downright repulsive; it's something that resembles the human see-saw, our state of being as creatures. Even pet dogs are blessed/cursed accordingly. Go to a strays refuge and see what's left behind that nobody has the heart to take home. Of course, that allows room for the anthropomorphically inclined to believe that the ugliest mutt there speaks straight to their heart. It might actually bite their bum the minute they get it home.

On the little matter of normal: normal, not in the sense of being without mental issues, is the terrible state of reality: physically, the huge majority simply, and normally, sits on the wrong side of centre.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 07:16:17 am by Rob C »

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2019, 08:29:35 pm »

So we are all striving for Barbie?  Even though she was divorced six times and she would be the first to die if she was starving?  Isn't our perception of beauty just driven by Sports Illustrated and Playboy.  You know Rob, you married a keeper, but was it just because you wanted to have sex with her???  Or was her beauty something more.  What I admire most about you is how much you loved your wife - spiritual. 

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 03:27:35 am »

So we are all striving for Barbie?  Even though she was divorced six times and she would be the first to die if she was starving?  Isn't our perception of beauty just driven by Sports Illustrated and Playboy.  You know Rob, you married a keeper, but was it just because you wanted to have sex with her???  Or was her beauty something more.  What I admire most about you is how much you loved your wife - spiritual.

Actually, removing the personal bit, which I'm sure is infinitely variable, I do believe we all strive for Barbie, but Barbie is different for different folks: I don't much like the blonde variety for anything but snaps. Most of the ones I ever met were tint jobs. Or old ladies with grey-gone-blonde. Not so much blue rinse around these parts.

Not sure about Playboy or SI - haven't bought Playboy since the mid-70s, I think it was, and SI never, and fake boobs are a turn-off. The last kinda "dream crush" I had was Bardot, and she was anything but pneumatic. In the flesh, she oozed sophistication, which to me seems a rather European thing - possibly because it's the only kind I know anything much about; it's divorced from wealth, yet often found within it. I also think it doesn't often come with youth.

;-)

KLaban

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 08:54:46 am »

I went for Barbie, but thankfully mine also had a brain.

;-)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 09:38:14 am »

I’m not sure I understood all the intonations correctly, but if I would be sick of all the crap around me, I have to rethink how I organized my life or I have to tune my expectations. ...

There is a canyon between speaking out for natural beauty and exploit the hang ups of insecure peoples.
(The work of Nan Golden has nothing to do with both.)

I’m on my way back from a trip in Poland and Slovakia. Saw lots of girls in western styled leggings, showing each imperfection of the flesh (or the perfection of the same) most of the girls covered the back with a sweater for obvious reason. I also saw traditional dressed girls proudly in long folkloric dresses, beautiful hair, fresh and happy look, all looked adorable, the skinny and not so skinny. They got other things on the mind than covering some cellulitis.
The delusion having to comply to Marvels ideal of beauty, and trying to make the world believe it is possible with a bit of photoshop tweak, plastic surgery left and hopefully also right, Instagram profiles of fake reality, etc, is the real crap around us, not the real reality of not so ideal peoples.

About ideals. I ‘m not in for Barbie style woman. I don’t like the American styled bimbos. 🥴
I prefer more bootie Slavic types.
😜
Anyhow, ultimate beauty: Sophia Loren in una jornada particular

KLaban

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 10:00:22 am »

I’m not sure I understood all the intonations correctly, but if I would be sick of all the crap around me, I have to rethink how I organized my life or I have to tune my expectations. ...

There is a canyon between speaking out for natural beauty and exploit the hang ups of insecure peoples.

I’m on my way back from a trip in Poland and Slovakia. Saw lots of girls in western styled leggings, showing each imperfection of the flesh (or the perfection of the same) most of the girls covered the back with a sweater for obvious reason. I also saw traditional dressed girls proudly in long folkloric dresses, beautiful hair, fresh and happy look, all looked adorable, the skinny and not so skinny. They got other things on the mind than covering some cellulitis.
The delusion having to comply to Marvels ideal of beauty, and trying to make the world believe it is possible with a bit of photoshop tweak, plastic surgery left and hopefully also right, Instagram profiles of fake reality, etc, is the real crap around us, not the real reality of not so ideal peoples.

About ideals. I ‘m not in for Barbie style woman. I don’t like the American styled bimbos. 🥴
😜

I couldn't agree more.

In my defence I went with the Barbie 'cause I was but a single 20 year old buck with testosterone coursing through my veins. Happily it was the mind I married.

;-)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2019, 10:04:08 am »

I couldn't agree more.

In my defence I went with the Barbie 'cause I was but a single 20 year old buck with testosterone coursing through my veins. Happily it was the mind I married.

;-)

It would be intellectual wrong and testosterone wise stupid to assume all blondes are empty headed. 🤓

Rob C

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 11:45:04 am »

😜

Strange; I didn't take to la Loren all that much, far preferring la Lollo and Claudia Cardinale.

Of the Hollywood ones, the first was Ava Gardner and I have to admit to a liking for the young Michelle Pfeiffer. (Ava came immediately before Brigitte.)

There have been several tv series girls that attracted me, but I never learned their names,,, The CSI Miami show had a couple of such, but not the blonde with the ultra-high squeak! Imagine having to hear that all day long.

How fortunate never having to hear their views on us.

KLaban

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm »

...Anyhow, ultimate beauty: Sophia Loren in una jornada particular

My ultimate was the woman I stood behind today in the queue for Sainsburys checkouts. Thankfully my ultimate changes every day. Please, put me down when it becomes anything other.

What can I say, I like real women.

Rob C

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 12:02:51 pm »

My ultimate was the woman I stood behind today in the queue for Sainsburys checkouts. Thankfully my ultimate changes every day. Please, put me down when it becomes anything other.

What can I say, I like real women.

I've never tried a doll. I don't think I'd like it very much.

:-)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 01:02:47 pm »

Strange; I didn't take to la Loren all that much, far preferring la Lollo and Claudia Cardinale.

Of the Hollywood ones, the first was Ava Gardner and I have to admit to a liking for the young Michelle Pfeiffer. (Ava came immediately before Brigitte.)

There have been several tv series girls that attracted me, but I never learned their names,,, The CSI Miami show had a couple of such, but not the blonde with the ultra-high squeak! Imagine having to hear that all day long.

How fortunate never having to hear their views on us.

Well, not just Sophia Loren, but Sophia Loren in that particular movie. 🤪🤓
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up