Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Everyone has a story  (Read 7149 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Everyone has a story
« on: July 11, 2019, 04:37:05 pm »

https://fstoppers.com/originals/capturing-peoples-insecurities-interview-photographer-behind-rock-your-ugly-388665

Stupid title, has little to do with insecurities, but d*mn the microstories in those captions combined with the images is solid gold.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Everyone has a story
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:46:57 am »

Feel as you do. Really absorbing I think.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 07:54:32 am »

Not my cuppa, Oscar; life passes too quickly to worry about other people's hangups.

It brings me back to our dear Diane Arbus: a helluva lot of good it did her to wallow in that world. She ended up taking herself out. Some things should just be seen, noted, and then forgotten.

I'm old enough to have seen a lot of shit and been through some too. Avoid it while you can because when you can't then's the time to deal with it.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:29:54 am »

Not my cuppa, Oscar; life passes too quickly to worry about other people's hangups.

It brings me back to our dear Diane Arbus: a helluva lot of good it did her to wallow in that world. She ended up taking herself out. Some things should just be seen, noted, and then forgotten.

I'm old enough to have seen a lot of shit and been through some too. Avoid it while you can because when you can't then's the time to deal with it.

Rob

I couldn't disagree more. Other people's hangups are your epiphanies. If not that, then at the very least they can teach us sympathy. These images however, clearly go beyond hangups. In combination with the captions they show us contrasts, and with that leads for moving on.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 08:59:28 am »

Not my cuppa, Oscar...

+1

P.S. Thanks for ruining my day with ugliness.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 09:14:42 am »

+2. Problem is: ugliness gets instant attention.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 09:28:02 am »

Many thanks, Oscar.

Can't say I see much in the way of ugliness, just real-life variation of the species and all the more interesting for it.

Only got to look at some of the folk here on LuLa to see them wallowing in their own world of hang-ups and insecurities.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:38:24 am »

... Only got to look at some of the folk here on LuLa to see them wallowing in their own world of hang-ups and insecurities.

After watching those images, I might have to retain you, Keith, as my shrink, to recover. You are a professional therapist, right?

KLaban

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 10:03:53 am »

After watching those images, I might have to retain you, Keith, as my shrink, to recover. You are a professional therapist, right?

No, but I'm married to one, who dedicated her entire professional life caring for and helping those less fortunate than ourselves.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:07:03 am by KLaban »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 10:14:26 am »

No, but I'm married to one, who dedicated her entire professional life caring for and helping those less fortunate than ourselves.

I was married to a dentist. I have an3:30pm opening next week, would that work for you?

KLaban

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 10:16:52 am »

I was married to a dentist. I have an3:30pm opening next week, would that work for you?

Thanks, but I'll pass: I've seen your teeth.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 10:17:52 am »

Interesting work and project, in stark contrast to the "glamorous" world and values that are fed continuously onto us. Yes, having a not perfect nose; a burnt arm; scars in your chest - all are part of life, and photography is a tool that helps in telling those stories.

I don't see ugliness in these personal stories, only daily life. To those who dismiss it, I hope it does not happen to you, such misfortunes.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 10:34:15 am »

... To those who dismiss it, I hope it does not happen to you, such misfortunes.

If it does, I wouldn't advertise it to the world.

elliot_n

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 10:44:58 am »

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 10:37:20 am »

Perhaps ugliness is a young person's game?

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2019/07/08/whats-the-use-of-beauty/

It was never my game. Whatever ugliness I produced came from personal lack of abilitiy to render unto beauty what she deserved; I didn't always know how.

Beauty does have a common denominator - and it changes with the times. A Mansfield, today, is ludicrous unless you are into private websites (I assume). The natural beauty of Shrimpton, again for me, outshines all of the Photoshopped Evangelistas and Stones. The perfection of the unreal is at once its removal from humanity and any sense of beauty: it becomes artwork and/or caricature. So, yes, I believe that if you lose the sense of vulnerability, of the all too transitory sense of the nature of youth that shines on the surface above, and clothes the bones, then you could just as well be looking at painted marble or, even, ebony. Paradoxically, some old beauties manage to retain the face. Deneuve is one who springs to mind. Fatter, the face still has it, Bardot lost it - or threw it away - years and years ago, sadly. Those same cloaked bones of youth still suppport the canvas, the condition of which depends, really quite a lot, on the care given to it through life. Perhaps that is an area where wealth comes into its own: preservation.

Ugliness is far more common than beauty, but not as common as bland normality. That's perhaps one of the greatest challenges the non-wealthy amateur faces with photography of people if he wants to depict beauty. Where the hell can he find it? Yeah, the streets; really? Now and then I do see somebody amazing but there is no way I can make use of that. The last such occasion I remember was months ago when my daughter was here on holiday and, stopped at a street corner to let cars pass, I saw this vision sitting in the passenger seat. I was powerless to snap; and if I had been prepared, what then? A stolen image and no chance of working with the person to achieve something that might have been better?

Beauty may or may not have definitions, but unlike much of art, I do believe there is a broader consensus of "knowing it when we see it."

Rob

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 05:07:09 pm »

Ugliness is far more common than beauty, but not as common as bland normality. That's perhaps one of the greatest challenges the non-wealthy amateur faces with photography of people if he wants to depict beauty.

Why can't we celebrate bland normality as a reality that no one wants to address?  Even the rich have to address their discontent and feeling of not being good enough.  During the summer, I follow my wife's FB page and watch everyone's trip to Europe or the photos of an incredible rock climbing adventure.  In many ways, I would just like to post - today I'm doing chores around the house. I just cleaned the toilet.  Or today, I never really left the house because I felt depressed.    Or, my job really is so stressful that I feel comatose when I come home.  Or, today I had an argument with my wife even though I love her. 

I also see this in landscape photography.  Sometimes the composition is too perfect and may not truly express that sense of place.  If you look at old Carlton Watkins photographs there is something special about the messiness in the composition, but it also very real and worthy of beauty.

I'm sure even the founder of this site had mundane days that are on par with normality. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 05:12:28 pm »

Why can't we celebrate bland normality as a reality that no one wants to address?...

Because we are sick of it. Because we live it every day. I do not want to celebrate crap around me. I leave it to Baudelaire and his carcass poem. 

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 05:53:48 pm »

Slobodan, I'm not going to try intellectually to keep up with you and Rob C from a literary standpoint.  I had to look up the poem.  However, when it comes to traveling off trail in the mountains, you will have a hard time keeping up with me.  I see what you're saying, but don't we create unrealistic expectations and feed upon that?  Here is an old slide from when I first started teaching in Yosemite.  I still keep up with most of these kids which I get incredible joy.  I still remember finding this dead bird and my students' reaction.  One of the girls in this picture owns the best taco truck in town. 

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 05:25:19 am »

Nan Goldin. Crewdson.

Two who celebrate the "norm" and to what point? One does it via crappy technique and the other does it via overkill and LF. In neither case is anything worth saying or seeing said or seen. Those pictures just are: there, and of no consequence, like almost ninety percent of what we ever see.

As Slobodan says, we are surrounded by crap every day, wherever we turn. It's why people hang onto their cars: to keep personal, physical distance from the stinking herd. To avoid contamination with the quotidian that threatens our very existence as individuals. It's why people pay through the nose for expensive cameras, trips to the polar regions, to safari camps; it's why others buy yachts and Ferraris - to be different and depending on their ambience, even that is often not enough.

The average is a mess; it's what many strive to leave behind, and why the race to whatever goal is there: it's the natural desire to escape that greyness, to soar with those fucking eagles at least for five minutes in one's life before crashing back down into the crowded cesspit of average humanity.

What's to celebrate about average?

elliot_n

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 05:59:51 am »

The average is a mess; it's what many strive to leave behind, and why the race to whatever goal is there: it's the natural desire to escape that greyness, to soar with those fucking eagles at least for five minutes in one's life before crashing back down into the crowded cesspit of average humanity.

This is exactly what Nan Goldin is expressing. The soaring and the crashing.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up