Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111693 times)

faberryman

Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #2240 on: October 29, 2020, 02:30:55 pm »

Yes.  Reasonable people who don't have an ax to grind will see my point as rather logical.

Where is the emoticon for eyes rolling?

faberryman

« Reply #2241 on: October 29, 2020, 02:33:51 pm »

USA TODAY - February 28, 2019

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news//2019/02/28/climate-change-shrinking-fish-population-worldwide

Farewell, fish-and-chips? Atlantic cod, many other fish dwindling as globe warms

Fish in the Northeast Atlantic – including cod, the prime ingredient in fish-and-chips – saw a dramatic drop of 34 percent in the past several decades as the Earth warmed.

And it's not only cod: many other species of fish are in hot water – literally.

Warming oceans from human-caused climate change has shrunk the populations of many fish species around the world, according to the study released Thursday.

Looking ahead, "future fisheries production may be at even greater risk considering that, owing to (human-caused) climate change, the oceans are continuing to warm even faster than originally predicted," said Australian scientist Éva Plagányi in a commentary that accompanied the study.

Additionally, the study only looked at how warming oceans affect fish and did not take into account other climate-driven impacts, such as ocean acidification, which can also lead to marine populations declines. The world's seas are becoming increasingly acidic because of the rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

The study was published in the peer-reviewed journal Science.

Do you ever feel like Sisyphus?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2242 on: October 29, 2020, 02:53:28 pm »

USA TODAY - February 28, 2019

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news//2019/02/28/climate-change-shrinking-fish-population-worldwide

Farewell, fish-and-chips? Atlantic cod, many other fish dwindling as globe warms

Fish in the Northeast Atlantic – including cod, the prime ingredient in fish-and-chips – saw a dramatic drop of 34 percent in the past several decades as the Earth warmed.

And it's not only cod: many other species of fish are in hot water – literally.

Warming oceans from human-caused climate change has shrunk the populations of many fish species around the world, according to the study released Thursday.

Looking ahead, "future fisheries production may be at even greater risk considering that, owing to (human-caused) climate change, the oceans are continuing to warm even faster than originally predicted," said Australian scientist Éva Plagányi in a commentary that accompanied the study.

Additionally, the study only looked at how warming oceans affect fish and did not take into account other climate-driven impacts, such as ocean acidification, which can also lead to marine populations declines. The world's seas are becoming increasingly acidic because of the rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

The study was published in the peer-reviewed journal Science.

The world's human population is at 7 1/2 billion and growing. We're eating them all. We're like sharks. I'm surprised you missed that statistic.  You're usually very thorough. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2243 on: October 29, 2020, 02:54:33 pm »

Yes.  Reasonable people who don't have an ax to grind will see my point as rather logical.  Charts won't change the minds of others who are obsessive over climate change.  They'd follow their beliefs blindly to the gates of hell, where it's rather warm as well.

Reasonable people can observe the available facts and project into the future.
Less reasonable people look at a snapshot in time and don't project the current trends into the future. One such example is the uncontrolled spread of the new virus. Early this year,  somebody said: "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's going to be just fine."  Then one month later, as the  U.S. health officials warned that the coronavirus pandemic might stay with the country for some time, that person said a "miracle" might make the coronavirus pandemic "disappear." "It's going to disappear. One day — it's like a miracle — it will disappear," he said. "And from our shores, we — you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows." Contrary to those predictions, the virus has killed in the meantime over 225,000 people - just in US.

To sum it up, reasonable people observe, think and prepare. When required and possible, they take an action to reverse a bad trend.

faberryman

« Reply #2244 on: October 29, 2020, 02:58:30 pm »

Right, facts. Not the ramblings of some random guy on the internet.

faberryman

« Reply #2245 on: October 29, 2020, 03:00:19 pm »

The world's human population is at 7 1/2 billion and growing. We're eating them all. We're like sharks. I'm surprised you missed that statistic.  You're usually very thorough.

So it is even worse than we thought. The population is increasing and the number of fish to eat is going down.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2246 on: October 29, 2020, 03:06:08 pm »

So it is even worse than we thought. The population is increasing and the number of fish to eat is going down.

Indeed. In addition to the increase of human population, the populations of other predators, such as sharks and seals in warmer waters are also increasing. That depletes the fish stocks even more.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2247 on: October 29, 2020, 03:08:04 pm »

Less reasonable people look at a snapshot in time and don't project the current trends into the future. One such example is the uncontrolled spread of the new virus. Early this year,  somebody said: "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's going to be just fine."  Then one month later, as the  U.S. health officials warned that the coronavirus pandemic might stay with the country for some time, that person said a "miracle" might make the coronavirus pandemic "disappear." "It's going to disappear. One day — it's like a miracle — it will disappear," he said. "And from our shores, we — you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows." Contrary to those predictions, the virus has killed in the meantime over 225,000 people - just in US.

To sum it up, reasonable people observe, think and prepare. When required and possible, they take an action to reverse a bad trend.
I never said we should not prepare.  What I said is we have to have all the facts, good as well as bad,  to prepare well.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2248 on: October 29, 2020, 03:09:55 pm »

Right, facts. Not the ramblings of some random guy on the internet.
That's just an insult.  Are you rambling?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2249 on: October 29, 2020, 03:13:16 pm »

Indeed. In addition to the increase of human population, the populations of other predators, such as sharks and seals in warmer waters are also increasing. That depletes the fish stocks even more.
You do believe in Darwin?  Nature balances these things out.  Somehow it's managed for billions of years.  By the way, a shark is a fish.

faberryman

« Reply #2250 on: October 29, 2020, 03:16:07 pm »

That's just an insult.  Are you rambling?

Yes, I am just some random guy on the internet rambling like everyone else, trying not to take myself too seriously.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2251 on: October 29, 2020, 03:42:04 pm »

You do believe in Darwin?  Nature balances these things out.  Somehow it's managed for billions of years.  By the way, a shark is a fish.

Yes, shark is also a fish, but a bad actor. A bully and operating on the extreme fringes.

faberryman

« Reply #2252 on: October 29, 2020, 04:00:11 pm »

Darwin has his critics, but by and large he offers a plausible explanation that most people generally go along with.  But there are people, notably the creationists, that don't believe in Darwin. They offer an alternate explanation. Different people believe different things. I don't know if nature balances things out. I am not even sure what that means. By the way, he didn't say that a shark isn't a fish. He said that a shark is a predator.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 05:18:32 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2253 on: October 29, 2020, 04:08:04 pm »

Darwin has his critics, but by and large he offers a plausible explanation that most people generally go along with.  But there are people, notably the creationists, that don't believe in Darwin. They offer an alternate explanation. Different people believe different things. By the way, he didn't say that a shark was a fish. He said that a shark is a predator.
Yes, a shark is a predator, but it's also a fish.  So we trade a bunch of little fishies for one large fishie. It's like trading off 15o McDonald's hamburgers for one fat human. 

faberryman

« Reply #2254 on: October 29, 2020, 05:26:35 pm »

Yes, a shark is a predator, but it's also a fish.  So we trade a bunch of little fishies for one large fishie. It's like trading off 15o McDonald's hamburgers for one fat human.

I think I ate some shark when I was in St. Thomas years ago. I wouldn't swear to it. Sometimes restaurants take liberties in how they describe the food on their menus.  If it were shark, I can think of several kinds of smaller fish I would prefer. I haven't eaten a McDonalds hamburger in a long time. There is a McDonalds nearby, but I really haven't had any interest in going over there to get one. Of course, like they say, your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:47:47 pm by faberryman »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2255 on: October 29, 2020, 06:37:52 pm »

[irrelevant post deleted by moderator]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:50:25 am by Jeremy Roussak »

faberryman

« Reply #2256 on: October 29, 2020, 06:46:57 pm »

[response to irrelevant post also deleted]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:50:51 am by Jeremy Roussak »

faberryman

« Reply #2257 on: October 29, 2020, 08:06:26 pm »

I just remembered I definitely didn't eat shark when I was in Iceland a couple of years ago. It looked even worse than the following description from Wikipedia:

Hákarl (Icelandic pronunciation: ​ [ˈhauːkʰartl̥]; an abbreviation of kæstur hákarl, referred to as fermented shark in English) is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark or other sleeper shark which has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2258 on: October 29, 2020, 10:09:00 pm »

[and another]

To the three posters: do not stray into irrelevant politics again.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:52:06 am by Jeremy Roussak »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2259 on: October 29, 2020, 10:10:19 pm »

I just remembered I definitely didn't eat shark when I was in Iceland a couple of years ago. It looked even worse than the following description from Wikipedia:

Hákarl (Icelandic pronunciation: ​ [ˈhauːkʰartl̥]; an abbreviation of kæstur hákarl, referred to as fermented shark in English) is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark or other sleeper shark which has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months.
That's why they're so plentiful.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114   Go Up