Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111653 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2019, 05:53:31 pm »

That's pretty reasonable.

Regarding the cars: I fear that in the long run (no pun etc.) we will be using neither gas nor battery power for cars. I think cars will be off the road except for some official ones that carry VIPs of one kind or another. The problem isn't going to be fueling them but space for them. Cities are already a driving nightmare unless you are just passing through, and yes, dud batteries are going to be one helluva recycling deal. The Mafia could use the opportunity, though.

I mentioned some time ago that a lot of young people who live in cities no longer seek driving licences; I can see their point. They have not grown up with the competitive thing that cars usually become for the young, competitive in the sense if mine is hotter than yours competitive, which grows into the mine cost more than yours did thing. The subway or the bus is all they need or perhaps a taxi at night. Quite how folks in the sticks will get on is something else. Les gilets jaunes had a word or two about that.

Basically, I think our problems arise more from too much unprotected sex than any other factor: we are worse than the steel industries when it comes to overproduction. We make too many copies.

To fix that, though, we have to fight some churches as well as some urges. My wise old mo 'n law used to say that a standing dick had no conscience. I often wondered if she was speaking generally, pointedly or mystically. Always suspected the lady of being slightly fey.

"I'll give you my car when you take it from my cold, dead hands" 

I agree about the sex.  Nothing is going to change with the climate until the population declines about 50%.   But how that might happen is horrendous thinking about it.   In fact, as more and more Chinese become middle class, it's going to get worse and worse.  Europe isn;t so bad.  The population is declining there in many areas.  But as it gets hotter, everyone will want air conditioning like in America.  After all, Americans are so cool.   8)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2019, 09:15:17 pm »

Americans are so cool.

And First Lady is hot.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »

Thanks Les. So how many of you would support Trump if admitted to being a racist?  I'll be the first to admit that my lively hood depends on capitalism and making some sacrifices of delayed gratification, but how can anyone accept Trump's racist rhetoric? Funny, both of my wife's parents were immigrants and have made positive contributions to our country but they are white.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2019, 09:41:56 pm »

And First Lady is hot.
She's so hot, she's cool.   :P

Rob C

« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2019, 03:45:32 am »

She's so hot, she's cool.   :P

I think she has become - mentally - flattened.

She seemed suitably impressed with her rôle at first, but now looks more and more as if she wishes she were somewhere else. Who can blame her?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2019, 05:28:39 pm »

A new study reinforces the evidence that human actions are driving rapid changes to the climate of the whole planet. Global warming is happening on the 98% of the Earth surface.

Climate change “deniers” who claim the rapid temperature rise experienced by the world is part of a natural cycle have been proven wrong by a new study, experts said after it revealed that global warming is happening at an “unprecedented” scale that far exceeds temperature fluctuations during the last two millennia.

Warming in the 20th century, seen over 98 per cent of the world, is in “stark contrast” to previous warm and cool periods such as the “Little Ice Age” when frost fairs were famously held on a frozen Thames, according to the findings in published in the journal Nature.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/global-warming-earth-history-heatwave-study-climate-deniers-a9019391.html

“This paper should finally stop climate change deniers claiming that the recent observed coherent global warming is part of a natural climate cycle. This paper shows the truly stark difference between regional and localised changes in climate of the past and the truly global effect of anthropogenic greenhouse emissions.”

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2019, 06:31:57 pm »

Well, I thought we had another 12 years.  But it seems we all have only 18 months before it's over.  The changing climate is going to do us all in.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48964736

Climate expert Prince Charles concurs so we know it must be true. Now he'll never become King.   No wonder he's so upset.
https://www.smart-energy.com/industry-sectors/business-finance-regulation/next-18-months-will-decide-climate-change-success-prince-charles/

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2019, 09:07:46 pm »

Well, I thought we had another 12 years. 

Alan,

are you really denying all those facts or are you just happy to see me (supplying new facts and evidence)?
Here is the latest data as of today:

Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands have recorded their highest ever temperatures, in a heatwave searing Western Europe.
  • The Belgian town of Kleine Brogel hit 39.9C (102F), the hottest since 1833.
  • The southern Dutch city of Eindhoven beat the 75-year-old national record, with a new high of 39.3C.
  • Germany's weather service said a new record of 40.5C - just 0.2C higher - had been set in Geilenkirchen, near the Belgian and Dutch borders.
The new German record was still to be confirmed, it said, warning that it could get even hotter on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49100271

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2019, 11:18:38 pm »

Alan,

are you really denying all those facts or are you just happy to see me (supplying new facts and evidence)?

I don't know what the facts are.   I'm not that wise.   I'm just happy knowing that Prince Charles is on the case.  :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2019, 12:12:32 am »

I don't know what the facts are.   I'm not that wise.   I'm just happy knowing that Prince Charles is on the case.  :)

As to the facts, there are widely available - even in the link which I posted.
And as to Prince Charles, he is doing his best. He discussed the climate change even with Donald Trump.

“What he really wants and what he really feels warmly about is the future,” Trump said of Prince Charles. “He wants to make sure future generations have climate that is good climate, as opposed to a disaster, and I agree. I did mentioned a couple of things. I did say, ‘Well, the United States right now has among the cleanest climates there are, based on all statistics.’ And it’s even getting better because I agree with that. I want the best water, the cleanest water —crystal clean, crystal clean air.

“I believe that there’s a change in weather, and I think it changes both ways. Don’t forget, it used to be called global warming. That wasn’t working. Then it was called climate change. Now it’s actually called extreme weather — because with extreme weather, you can’t miss,” Trump said on the morning show.

https://time.com/5601169/donald-trump-prince-charles-climate-change/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2019, 06:45:00 am »

As to the facts, there are widely available - even in the link which I posted.
And as to Prince Charles, he is doing his best. He discussed the climate change even with Donald Trump.

"“What he really wants and what he really feels warmly about is the future,” Trump said of Prince Charles. “He wants to make sure future generations have climate that is good climate, as opposed to a disaster, and I agree. I did mentioned a couple of things. I did say, ‘Well, the United States right now has among the cleanest climates there are, based on all statistics.’ And it’s even getting better because I agree with that. I want the best water, the cleanest water —crystal clean, crystal clean air.”"

https://time.com/5601169/donald-trump-prince-charles-climate-change/

What Trump said is never reported widely in the media.  Nor was his comment about getting back into Paris which he said he'd do if the Chinese had to reduce CO2 as well rather than letting them do nothing until 2030.  Of course, with the world ending in 18 months, it really won;t matter. :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2019, 12:44:33 pm »

The Met Office in UK has confirmed that the 36.9C temperature recorded at Heathrow Airport earlier is the new record temperature for July. Among other problems, this is also affecting the transportation.

Paris has beaten its all-time heat record, hitting 40.6 C amid a heat wave breaking barriers across Europe. Authorities say the temperature is still rising. It’s one of several records set in this week’s heat wave, the second wave baking the continent this summer. France saw its hottest-ever day on record last month, when a southern town reached 46C.

Commuters have been warned to not travel as soaring temperatures cause disruption to some services. The rising temperatures caused damage to overhead electric wires between London St Pancras and Luton, blocking all lines.

The blistering temperatures also damaged overhead electric wires between London Euston and Watford Junction, disrupting Virgin Trains services. Commuters have been warned to not travel as soaring temperatures cause disruption to some services. The rising temperatures caused damage to overhead electric wires between London St Pancras and Luton, blocking all lines.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2019/jul/25/heatwave-uk-weather-set-to-break-records-as-europes-cities-await-hottest-day-live?page=with:block-5d39a5de8f08cf92bb776cf1#block-5d39a5de8f08cf92bb776cf1

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2019, 12:54:50 pm »

So I hear that Paris is about to break the record temperature from 1947. Wait, what!? It was even hotter in 1947 than today!? 72 years ago?

72 years ago the world population was about 2-2.5 billion people, today it is 3x as much, with corresponding industrialization and CO2 emissions. And yet it was as hot as today.

Three to five million years ago, the concentration of CO2 was as high as today, and the see level was like 10m higher. Today it isn't.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2019, 01:56:17 pm »

You don't want to confuse folks with facts, Slobodan. It doesn't inform them; it just makes them angry because you're puncturing their bubble.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2019, 02:01:00 pm »

I just added flood insurance to my home insurance. You guys convinced me.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2019, 02:07:33 pm »

Alan,

As a Belgian and living in the warmest part of Belgium I can tell this is exceptional. But there is more than one or two warm days. I have a small pond with fishes that normally do not reproduce in our climate. Since last year, I have juvenile fish in the pond. Climate is changing, but that’s not new. If human influence speeds things up, don’t know, we should stop believing we can steer nature. ( in negative or positive way) That being said, it doesn’t change the fact that we are ruining our planet on high speed. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2019, 02:28:57 pm »

As a Belgian and living in the warmest part of Belgium I can tell this is exceptional. But there is more than one or two warm days. I have a small pond with fishes that normally do not reproduce in our climate. Since last year, I have juvenile fish in the pond. Climate is changing, but that’s not new. If human influence speeds things up, don’t know, we should stop believing we can steer nature. ( in negative or positive way) That being said, it doesn’t change the fact that we are ruining our planet on high speed. 
Thanks for the positive news about global warming.  So fish are expanding their range becoming more successful due to the increase in temperature.  That's the point I've been making for two years.  Warming climate has both positive as well as negative effects. It's interesting however that you automatically concluded that it's ruining our planet at high speed.   If those fish could talk, they wouldn't agree with your point of view.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2019, 02:29:57 pm »

So I hear that Paris is about to break the record temperature from 1947. Wait, what!? It was even hotter in 1947 than today!? 72 years ago?

72 years ago the world population was about 2-2.5 billion people, today it is 3x as much, with corresponding industrialization and CO2 emissions. And yet it was as hot as today.

Today, the temperatures in the Netherlands were a record high since the mid 1800's (records before that were not as scientifically accurate or methodical). But then, these local weather extremes are, well, local and weather. Climate change, as has been explained many times already, is the long (11, 20 or 30 years) term trend.

What also appears not to register with the climate change deniers (could it be caused by their brains overheating?) is that the rate of temperature rise is unprecedented (especially absent solar irradiance maxima or change in earth axis tilt, or orbital forcing) in known history.

Three to five million years ago, the concentration of CO2 was as high as today, and the see level was like 10m higher. Today it isn't.

Since you don't provide a source, and rather than debunking each point for the umpteenth time, let's debunk the 10 most common ones in one go:
https://youtu.be/FBF6F4Bi6Sg?t=1

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2019, 02:37:14 pm »

... Climate change, as has been explained many times already, is the long (11, 20 or 30 years) term trend...

11 years!? Even 30!? Seriously!? That’s climate change???

You guys are getting more and more laughable. Coincides with rising temperatures?

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2019, 03:07:45 pm »

Thanks for the positive news about global warming.  So fish are expanding their range becoming more successful due to the increase in temperature.  That's the point I've been making for two years.  Warming climate has both positive as well as negative effects. It's interesting however that you automatically concluded that it's ruining our planet at high speed.   If those fish could talk, they wouldn't agree with your point of view.

If fish could talk they would tell you about the plastic mess in the oceans, Alan.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 114   Go Up