Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111451 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #580 on: August 10, 2019, 08:56:32 am »

But isn't Canada greener overall?  As it warms up, former regions up north that couldn't support trees, shrubs, and grass, are now doing so and more than making up for losses due to a beetle.  Nature isn't static.  Unfortunately, we all tend to cherry pick certain data to prove our point.  We have to look at the full picture.  For example, leaving aside the extra mosquitos when you go on your canoe trip up north, has the warmer weather given you more time to going canoeing?  Earlier thaws, and more heat is conducive to that.  BRinging it back to photography, you have more opportunity to capture that once-in-a-lifetime shot.  :)

Nice and tranquil pictures, Alan

Actually, I haven't had too many chances to go canoeing in recent years. We've been having heat waves and also many windy days. Not much fun paddling under such conditions.
And when the mosquitoes start buzzing, photography is the last thing on my mind. I leave the camera in the bag, and run for the car or jump into the lake.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:01:03 am by LesPalenik »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #581 on: August 10, 2019, 09:01:55 am »

Besides that it's updated, apparently you have not seen it often enough for it to register, including this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrrTk6DqzE&t=13s

The origin of the CO2 can be pretty well pinpointed on Human activity (even the US government agrees on that), i.e. burning of fossil fuel. The Carbon emissions bookkeeping and the atmospherical composition of Carbon isotopes and the inverse fluctuation of Oxygen are all consistent with, and cannot be explained by other actors, "It's US".

Nature reacts in several ways, acidification of water, increasing temperatures, expanding water volumes, global changes in temperature distribution, local droughts and downpours, more Extreme Weather.

And it threatens food-production if we do not mend our ways of landuse:
https://www.ipcc.ch/report/srccl/

Cheers,
Bart
The IPCC is biased.  By now that's obvious.  They're trying to justify their continued existence.  A lot of people are making a lot of money from "climate change".  The fact is, food production increases with more CO2.  It's the same reason more natural greening is taking place in the world.  God and nature doesn't distinguish between food plants and naturally growing other plants like green trees. If CO2 causes more growth of the latter, it causes more growth of the former. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #582 on: August 10, 2019, 09:16:13 am »

The IPCC is biased.  By now that's obvious.

How? Any proof for that fake 'news'?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #583 on: August 10, 2019, 09:17:23 am »

Nice and tranquil pictures, Alan

Actually, I haven't had too many chances to go canoeing in recent years. We've been having heat waves and also many windy days. Not much fun paddling under such conditions.
And when the mosquitoes start buzzing, photography is the last thing on my mind. I leave the camera in the bag, and run for the car or jump into the lake.

I'm not much of a canoe person.  But my wife and I rented that house that had both a canoe and a kayak as well as paddle boats.  I also canoed when it was very windy.  And that heavy aluminum canoe pictured above was almost impossible to handle.  I kept getting blown off course.  I couldn't change its direction easily. It really need another person beside myself to handle it.  The one-man kayak was easier.  But it's lightness tends to cause the boat to go left than right too much with each oar stroke.  A lot of wasted energy.  The canoe, in no wind, tends to keep going straight with less effort which is more relaxing.  They're entirely different experiences.  Do you have any shots while canoeing we can see?

Here's another shot taken while on that canoe.  You can see the lilies to the right of the canoe in the 2nd color shot above. All these shots were taken with a little 4mb Canon Powershot S410 P&S.  We forget how great those little cameras were back them. 
Water Lilies by Alan Klein, on Flickr

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #584 on: August 10, 2019, 09:19:24 am »

How? Any proof for that fake 'news'?

Cheers,
Bart
They have an agenda.    That's obvious to any discerning person. 

faberryman

« Reply #585 on: August 10, 2019, 09:20:19 am »

They have an agenda.    That's obvious to any discerning person.
You have an agenda. That's obvious to any discerning person.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #586 on: August 10, 2019, 09:22:42 am »

Everyone here has an agenda. :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #587 on: August 10, 2019, 09:38:15 am »

It's obvious, even to an undiscerning person.  :(

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #588 on: August 10, 2019, 09:40:51 am »

Well, discerning people know that Nikon is better than Canon.
Oh wait.  That's another thread. :)

degrub

« Reply #589 on: August 10, 2019, 11:13:54 am »

i discern that it is lunch / dinner time.  :D

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #590 on: August 10, 2019, 11:16:05 am »

I'm not much of a canoe person.  But my wife and I rented that house that had both a canoe and a kayak as well as paddle boats.  I also canoed when it was very windy.  And that heavy aluminum canoe pictured above was almost impossible to handle.  I kept getting blown off course.  I couldn't change its direction easily. It really need another person beside myself to handle it.  The one-man kayak was easier.  But it's lightness tends to cause the boat to go left than right too much with each oar stroke.  A lot of wasted energy.  The canoe, in no wind, tends to keep going straight with less effort which is more relaxing.  They're entirely different experiences.  Do you have any shots while canoeing we can see?

A lot depends on a canoe. The typical recreational canoes are relatively short and are more difficult to paddle in a straight line. Whitewater canoes are more maneuverable in rapids and can handle also large waves. Longer lakewater canoes hold their course better. My flatwater canoe is a 17'6'' long Kevlar Swift Winisk which is a wonderful touring canoe. It's light, stable, easy to paddle, and due to its asymmetric design, it's also faster than most other canoes.

I have lots of pictures from my canoeing trips. Here are some shots with and without the canoe in the lake country a few hours north of Toronto. And one with two hot chicks on a whitewater river.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #591 on: August 10, 2019, 11:25:37 am »

Nice shots.  Nice boat.  What do you mean asymmetric?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #592 on: August 10, 2019, 11:45:02 am »

Thank you Alan.
Most canoes have symmetric hull, the only diference is the position of the seats (bow seat has more room between the seat and the end of the canoe).
In practical terms, depending on the load in the canoe, a solo paddler could sit on either seat and the boat would behave in a similar manner.
Swift Winisk has a sleeker bow than stern and because of that for the optimal performance it has to be loaded evenly in order to have a straight waterline.
In the picture below, the bow is on the right side, and the painted waterline assists the paddlers to keep the boat absolutely level.

https://www.swiftcanoe.com/winisk

jeremyrh

« Reply #593 on: August 10, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »

The IPCC is biased.  By now that's obvious.

To support that claim you'd have to identify mistakes in the scientific evidence they publish. No need to type rhetoric on the internet - just get your slide rule out and prove them wrong in a scientific paper. Thus does knowledge advance.

They're trying to justify their continued existence.  A lot of people are making a lot of money from "climate change".  The fact is, food production increases with more CO2.  It's the same reason more natural greening is taking place in the world.  God and nature doesn't distinguish between food plants and naturally growing other plants like green trees. If CO2 causes more growth of the latter, it causes more growth of the former.

As per your previous posting, this is likely a temporary effect.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #594 on: August 10, 2019, 01:34:28 pm »

We really ought to rename "The Coffee Corner" to "The Silly Corner."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #595 on: August 10, 2019, 01:39:18 pm »

To support that claim you'd have to identify mistakes in the scientific evidence they publish. No need to type rhetoric on the internet - just get your slide rule out and prove them wrong in a scientific paper. Thus does knowledge advance....
Sorry but I've lived too long to believe everything every so- called expert claims who think they have a handle on the "truth"..

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #596 on: August 10, 2019, 01:59:50 pm »

Sorry but I've lived too long to believe everything every so- called expert claims who think they have a handle on the "truth"..

"So-called"? Have you checked their credentials, and the process to produce such a report ???

About the IPCC special report, that I linked to:
"107 experts from 52 countries were selected as Coordinating Lead Authors and Lead Authors – who are working on  each individual chapter – and Review Editors, who ensured that comments by experts and governments were given appropriate consideration as the report developed."
and
"A call for nomination of authors was sent to governments, observer organizations and IPCC Bureau Members on 5 April 2017. Graphics that provide background information about the nominees are available here"

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #597 on: August 10, 2019, 02:15:24 pm »

"So-called"? Have you checked their credentials, and the process to produce such a report ???

About the IPCC special report, that I linked to:
"107 experts from 52 countries were selected as Coordinating Lead Authors and Lead Authors – who are working on  each individual chapter – and Review Editors, who ensured that comments by experts and governments were given appropriate consideration as the report developed."
and
"A call for nomination of authors was sent to governments, observer organizations and IPCC Bureau Members on 5 April 2017. Graphics that provide background information about the nominees are available here"

Cheers,
Bart
They're all in  the same choir.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #598 on: August 10, 2019, 02:18:36 pm »

Thank you Alan.
Most canoes have symmetric hull, the only diference is the position of the seats (bow seat has more room between the seat and the end of the canoe).
In practical terms, depending on the load in the canoe, a solo paddler could sit on either seat and the boat would behave in a similar manner.
Swift Winisk has a sleeker bow than stern and because of that for the optimal performance it has to be loaded evenly in order to have a straight waterline.
In the picture below, the bow is on the right side, and the painted waterline assists the paddlers to keep the boat absolutely level.

https://www.swiftcanoe.com/winisk
Les, if you look at the canoe picture at the dock that I posted, the seat for it is way in the back where I sat.  Without another canoeist up front, the whole canoe tilts up making it that more difficult to control.  A little wind and the canoe starts to spin.  I can see why yours controls better.

faberryman

« Reply #599 on: August 10, 2019, 03:02:49 pm »

Les, if you look at the canoe picture at the dock that I posted, the seat for it is way in the back where I sat.  Without another canoeist up front, the whole canoe tilts up making it that more difficult to control.  A little wind and the canoe starts to spin.  I can see why yours controls better.
Paddling a canoe around a lake is not rocket science.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:15:02 pm by faberryman »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 114   Go Up