Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tripod recommendations  (Read 1028 times)

Endeavour

tripod recommendations
« on: June 16, 2019, 10:09:58 am »

I am currently using a Manfrotto 055XproB but when hiking to location I find it too long.

Depending on where I strap it to my backpack, it's either whacking me on the back of the head or bashing into my legs

I wonder if there is a better, more compact solution for hiking?

BradSmith

Re: tripod recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:36:40 pm »

To help people respond for shorter tripods when collapsed, how long is your tripod?

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 02:00:23 pm »

30"

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 02:02:21 pm »

I have the same tripod. When hiking I tend to carry it over my shoulder or at my side with one leg shoved through the arm strap of my sling pack.

For travelling, I use the largest of the the Mefoto (Roadtrip, I think). I went with MeFoto as it uses the same Arca-Swiss style of plate as the Benro head on my Manfrotto tripod. It’s fairly sturdy, but I miss the height and overall umph of the Manfrotto.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 10:09:36 pm »

Feisol has several tripods that are short...in the 17 - 25” range I believe.  Different levels of size and capability.  I’ve hiked with their 4 section elite range and it’s fine to carry.  The legs are very light weight, but super sturdy even in fast streams and rivers extended.  Very exceptional tripod for the money.

For travel I use gitzo 1 series travelers.  Folds up to 15 or 16” I believe.  Very easy to secure on a backpack.  I find the gitzo travelers a bit more capable than some of the other small tripods out there.  I use a nodal slide to balance the camera weight over the center and it makes a huge difference in stability.

Depends on budget too. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

John R

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 06:07:32 am »

Feisol has several tripods that are short...in the 17 - 25” range I believe.  Different levels of size and capability.  I’ve hiked with their 4 section elite range and it’s fine to carry.  The legs are very light weight, but super sturdy even in fast streams and rivers extended.  Very exceptional tripod for the money.

For travel I use gitzo 1 series travelers.  Folds up to 15 or 16” I believe.  Very easy to secure on a backpack.  I find the gitzo travelers a bit more capable than some of the other small tripods out there.  I use a nodal slide to balance the camera weight over the center and it makes a huge difference in stability.

Depends on budget too.
As stated by Tony, check out the Feisol brand. Note the double extendable neck on this tripod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2BgJA8naxM

JR

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 01:41:13 pm »

Another thought... and everyone has different preferences and capabilities...
I personally find very few tripods comfortable attached to my backpack.  Various reasons...either weight, balance, knocking on my head... etc...  Usually only travel tripods are ok with me on a backpack.  Then again, I prefer small backpacks especially now with my m43 kit. 

A solution that I found that REALLY works for me when i'm hiking is the Mindshift Gear solution.  They have tripod suspension straps that connect to the shoulder harness and attach just below the baseplate on the tripod.  Then one leg slips into a loop on the backpack.  The tripod hangs weightless next to you leaving both hands free it balances great without adding any stress to the shoulders strangely.  It seems like it would be uncomfortable...but it really does work.  At least for me.  I've hiked with a Feisol 3472 and RRS BH-55 with pano head suspended like that and it was totally effortless.  I will say the BH55 is NOT a hiking ballhead! 

If you really prefer a larger tripod, take a look at the suspension method Mindshift offers.  It's really decent. 

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/other-accessories/products/tripod-suspension-kit
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Lightsmith

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 06:20:43 pm »

Go to the B&H Photo website and select tripods and then use all the filters they provide for collapsed length, working height, weight, load capacity, etc. and get a short list and then look at the reviews to spot any problems with any models. From that I create a table in a word processor or spreadsheet application for the finalists with all the key criteria input. At a glance I can decide which 2 or 3 tripods will be the best for my particular set of needs and then choose one.

This takes a couple of hours but you will be far better able to decide on the next tripod to buy than by asking people on a forum who have different needs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up