Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Boxification  (Read 1468 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Boxification
« on: June 04, 2019, 02:29:55 pm »

Drove past a good example of boxification today. This one is situated at the end of the industrial area right next to a canal that makes for a nice walk as long as you don't look this way. Picture one is the building, picture two is an approach. The way such a large building reflects that light is just briljant. You could clearly throw in some models in outrageous outfits and extravagant make up and call yourself LaChapelle, right there...

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

Re: Boxification
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 02:49:24 pm »

I like the second one except for the imbalance that threatens me with perpetual, threatened motion.

I would perhaps give in to temptation - just a little one - and clone the top detail over to the right, removing the origin one completely. Really not a sin; you are not looking for planning permission, after all.

Everybody cheats: that's art.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:33:39 pm »

I like the second one except for the imbalance that threatens me with perpetual, threatened motion.

I would perhaps give in to temptation - just a little one - and clone the top detail over to the right, removing the origin one completely. Really not a sin; you are not looking for planning permission, after all.

Everybody cheats: that's art.

Exactly, Da Beat has no qualms whatsoever to sever reality in that way. It ain't journalism. He could also do a horizontal flip on the clouds. On the other hand, the picture is about an unsettling feeling. You know, the same sort of detachment from reality you get when seeing highly detailed model railway images. Everything adds up consciously, but there is always something unsettling about not quite judging the size correctly. If you stand in front of a large print (for some gravitas) of this slightly out-of-balance image and get a bit nauseated, I guess that's actually a reasonable effect, no?
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:10:02 am »

Exactly, Da Beat has no qualms whatsoever to sever reality in that way. It ain't journalism. He could also do a horizontal flip on the clouds. On the other hand, the picture is about an unsettling feeling. You know, the same sort of detachment from reality you get when seeing highly detailed model railway images. Everything adds up consciously, but there is always something unsettling about not quite judging the size correctly. If you stand in front of a large print (for some gravitas) of this slightly out-of-balance image and get a bit nauseated, I guess that's actually a reasonable effect, no?

You are forcing the viewers of the nominal large print to risk health on the altar of creative wilfulness; is that fair or even, dare I say it, politically correct?

On a different note, I discovered today - from a chance conversation - that there now exists a ferry from Alcudia to Toulon, offering a great alternative to getting to France that saves the horrors of finding the right road on exiting the ferry at Barcelona. No matter how many times I did that trip, that single section always confused me with its multi-lane roundabout immediately at the exit from the ferry terminal. It was hardly any the easier getting back to that terminal going in the Mallorca direction: a tiny notice inside a tunnel was all I could find. The yachting port, however, was signalled very clearly! Class distinction, obviously.

Alcudia is just a few minute's drive across the local bay! Save all the hassle of driving across the island at night to get to Palma for the overnight ferry.

Toulon would completely change my usual route north, and could open up all manner of exciting new prospects. Just need this apartment to sell before I grow too old.

:-)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 03:18:58 am »

The second one is great. I think the architect may have made the building too tall though :)

John R

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 10:48:16 am »

The second one is great. I think the architect may have made the building too tall though :)
I like the second also. The eye moves nicely from the red and black to the grey to blue.

JR

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 04:39:31 pm »

Another vote for the second one. All the elements work.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 08:48:56 am »

Da Beat could seriously do these all day long. Well, except here he was a little quick on the draw. Passing the building from the side he thought it was just another box, but it ain't so. It's a large box with a curved/waved front. He didn't have time for the curved front, nor is he sure when the light is right either being there for the first time, but he may give it a go sometime. The wavy front will give a better wide aspect shot. Here the lampshade caught his attention so he slammed the breaks and hit a shot.

Would be cool to stick one of them BMW Mini automobiles in front of this building. For extra LaChapelle suave, add some complementary models with weird make up and hairdo. No, wait. Don't. That would just detract from the car.
Regards,
~ O ~

John R

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 12:31:39 pm »

Da Beat could seriously do these all day long. Well, except here he was a little quick on the draw.
May be so, Mr. da Beat. But first you have to see it to photograph it. The oblique shadow from the lamp is icing on the cake. Heightens the geometric tension, so to speak...much more than LaChapelle. Makes an A1 bw too.

JR

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 03:59:20 pm »

This last one is a true classic, and the shadow is essential as John mentioned.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 03:10:27 am »

That last shot is indeed the winner. It seems better proportioned.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 04:07:42 am »

If Hasselblad was still making those 500 Series machines...

;-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 11:41:18 am »

More Boxification, Ivo-style...

Regards,
~ O ~

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 11:52:39 am »

For me the simplicity is lost.

James Clark

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 12:31:28 pm »

I'm a fan of these kind of architectural geometrics.  I found one just outside my door the other day in a new building that's just being completed, and I concur with the crowd - the shadow on the third image throws the exact right amount of imperfection into the otherwise-perfect symmetry.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 01:13:36 pm »

For me the simplicity is lost.

Yes, good observation. It's interesting because the attached shot is what made Da Beat slam da break initially. It better fits with the previous shots. It still depicts that slight hint of dilapidation, which he'd like to include. However, the building isn't high enough to create that reality detachment he's seeking.

In this project, Da Beat hasn't yet collected enough material to choose format and style, so we'll see where it ends up. It may require more of these elongated aspect shots, to better convey what boxification does to the industrial landscape. He also likes the neglected state visible in these images. It kind of fits the overall theme. This type of purely functional architecture is not exactly something attractive to preserve for future generations. So, a series could for example start with relatively beautiful brand spanking new examples, and gradually move to these almost abandoned like, neglected versions, and on to fully dilapidated samples.

From clear blue skies to dark gray skies at the same time. You gotta appeal to that subconscious somehow...
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 01:20:31 pm »

I'm a fan of these kind of architectural geometrics.  I found one just outside my door the other day in a new building that's just being completed, and I concur with the crowd - the shadow on the third image throws the exact right amount of imperfection into the otherwise-perfect symmetry.

Yes, there is an interesting disorienting flow in this image. Da Beat suspects some of us on these forums to fall well into the autistic spectrum, btw... (and that would include himself also! In fact, he don't need to suspect it in that case.)
Regards,
~ O ~

James Clark

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 01:56:50 pm »

From clear blue skies to dark gray skies at the same time. You gotta appeal to that subconscious somehow...

Love it.  For this one though I'd crop the sky/grey box at top and enough of the blue to end up at a 1:1 square featuring the blue expanse and the yellow railing.  ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 02:25:06 pm »

Love it.  For this one though I'd crop the sky/grey box at top and enough of the blue to end up at a 1:1 square featuring the blue expanse and the yellow railing.  ;)
I would keep all of the blue wall, including the little pipe in the upper left corner.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:02:00 pm by Eric Myrvaagnes »

John R

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 03:37:39 pm »

I would keep allof the blue wall, including the little pipe in the upper left corner.
It would certainly be more minimalist. I can still find these kinds of images, but it is getting harder all the time. So much security.

JR
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up