Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 118763 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #600 on: June 20, 2019, 03:30:18 am »

Is this a comment as a forum member, or as a moderator?

Either. Both. Add "as a possessor of common sense"; "as a realist"; "as someone not prone to hysteria".

Jeremy

jeremyrh

« Reply #601 on: June 20, 2019, 03:49:50 am »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #602 on: June 20, 2019, 08:26:46 am »

The politically correct language police can go too far, pretty much everyone goes too far if you let them, but the impulse to not cause discomfort to those who are least able to defend themselves seems like a decent thing to do to me. People used to ridicule people with certain cognitive problems, so a language change emerged to help stop this behaviour. A writer/speaker can still call them "retards" but more and more people in the listening audience will be repulsed when they do.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #603 on: June 20, 2019, 09:43:16 am »

As offensive as others are when referring to the sitting President.

Slobodan, you know perfectly well that office alone does not confer respect; respect has to be won or, at the very least, earned.

Your man has done neither: he has, as with our own Boris, behaved like a buffoon but without the saving grace of humour. In pretty much everything international he disregards agreements, breaks the solemnly given word of your country, and yep, I am prepared to admit that appeals to two broad types of voter: the ignorant my-arms-are-thicker-your-arms redneck; the hopeless political absolutist.

Behaviour like that has one ultimate fate: it distances everybody else in the world, because even those with whom he seeks to sleep know that they will never, ever be able to trust a goddam word he says to them or a paper he signs. That's his legacy.

It is also a mistake to take disgust with Trump as being tantamount to disgust with the entire Republican Party. Never before has the distance between the two entities looked so wide.

Regarding the Democrats: where do they get international airplay? Even the so-called Fake Noos channels seem devoid of interest in them one way or the other. If Mrs Clinton made one massive mistake last election time, it was in her public image: she appeared like Pinocchio's mother's original stump of tree. As for that open mouth à la glamour girl, the stabbing, pointed finger at nobody at all in the crowd, pleeeeas. But it's catching: Trump, has picked up on it too, poor man.

Rob

JoeKitchen

« Reply #604 on: June 20, 2019, 09:48:23 am »

The politically correct language police can go too far, pretty much everyone goes too far if you let them, but the impulse to not cause discomfort to those who are least able to defend themselves seems like a decent thing to do to me. People used to ridicule people with certain cognitive problems, so a language change emerged to help stop this behaviour. A writer/speaker can still call them "retards" but more and more people in the listening audience will be repulsed when they do.

Yes, but this will only start to develop with the new terms as well, eventually.  Like I said, years ago I was told that mentally retarded was no longer an acceptable term to use, due to the negative connotations.  At that time, I was told that mentally challenged was the new and more appropriate word.  It was not long after hearing that I heard student using mentally challenged in the same way mentally retarded was use when I was in school.  So, obviously, the new word, regardless of how well intentioned creating it was, developed a negative connotation. 

It is impossible to avoid this. 

George Carlin on PC Nonsense
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #605 on: June 20, 2019, 10:08:38 am »

Yes, but this will only start to develop with the new terms as well, eventually.  Like I said, years ago I was told that mentally retarded was no longer an acceptable term to use, due to the negative connotations.  At that time, I was told that mentally challenged was the new and more appropriate word.  It was not long after hearing that I heard student using mentally challenged in the same way mentally retarded was use when I was in school.  So, obviously, the new word, regardless of how well intentioned creating it was, developed a negative connotation. 

It is impossible to avoid this. 

George Carlin on PC Nonsense

Thanks for the link: have posted it off to somebody badly in need of it!

;-)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #606 on: June 20, 2019, 10:09:53 am »

Slobodan, you know perfectly well that office alone does not confer respect; respect has to be won or, at the very least, earned.

Your man has done neither: he has, as with our own Boris, behaved like a buffoon but without the saving grace of humour. In pretty much everything international he disregards agreements, breaks the solemnly given word of your country, and yep, I am prepared to admit that appeals to two broad types of voter: the ignorant my-arms-are-thicker-your-arms redneck; the hopeless political absolutist.

Behaviour like that has one ultimate fate: it distances everybody else in the world, because even those with whom he seeks to sleep know that they will never, ever be able to trust a goddam word he says to them or a paper he signs. That's his legacy.

It is also a mistake to take disgust with Trump as being tantamount to disgust with the entire Republican Party. Never before has the distance between the two entities looked so wide.

Regarding the Democrats: where do they get international airplay? Even the so-called Fake Noos channels seem devoid of interest in them one way or the other. If Mrs Clinton made one massive mistake last election time, it was in her public image: she appeared like Pinocchio's mother's original stump of tree. As for that open mouth à la glamour girl, the stabbing, pointed finger at nobody at all in the crowd, pleeeeas. But it's catching: Trump, has picked up on it too, poor man.

Rob
The US President doesn't approve treaties.  The US Senate does.  World leaders and diplomats know that and take their chances with President--only formulated deals. After all, after 4 or maybe 8  years, a president is replaced.  He's got nothing to say about what future presidents do. However, with a Senate approved treaty, the subsequent president is bound constitutionally to honor the treaty. 

The Iran treaty is a perfect example. Obama never went to the Senate to get approval with the deal he agreed too.  He didn't think it would pass.  So he kept his finger's crossed and hoped for the best.  He was wrong.  That's the whole point of Senate approval.  It prevents presidents who think they're a king from making personal deals.  It also obligates future presidents.  Obama never gave the word of our country.  He ignored our constitutional rules.  It would be like your PM deciding on Brexit on her own.

Regarding  other countries keeping their word, may I remind  you that more than half of Europe's NATO countries still are not paying 2% of their GDP towards defense as they promised.  In fact, in some cases the percentage is decreasing.  So when Trump calls you out on it and threatens to pull out of NATO, you complain he's not "rolling" over like previous presidents have and accepting it.  How about it if Europe kept their word? Well, that's why so many red necks appreciate him.  He's not letting others take advantage of America's largesse and niceness. He plays tough like others do and you're just not use to it. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #607 on: June 20, 2019, 11:48:38 am »

The politically correct language police can go too far...

Case in point:

faberryman

« Reply #608 on: June 20, 2019, 11:55:48 am »

And the vulgarity continues. As expected.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #609 on: June 20, 2019, 01:00:56 pm »

And the vulgarity continues. As expected.
Some individuals never outgrow their teenage years. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #610 on: June 20, 2019, 01:25:25 pm »

Some individuals never outgrow their teenage years. 

And some were 17 going on 70 the whole life.

Rob C

« Reply #611 on: June 20, 2019, 03:41:46 pm »

My late teens were the best years of my life.

Then, my late twenties became the very best years of my life until I hit my mid-forties and went AWOL in the Med. From then onwards there was no doubt that things just got better and better until they imploded and yeah, the best years of my life will be in the next life.

Gotta look on the bright side - there really may be one somewhere else.

:-)

degrub

« Reply #612 on: June 20, 2019, 07:27:00 pm »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #613 on: June 21, 2019, 02:43:29 pm »

The Iran treaty is a perfect example. Obama never went to the Senate to get approval with the deal he agreed too.  He didn't think it would pass.  So he kept his finger's crossed and hoped for the best.  He was wrong.  That's the whole point of Senate approval.  It prevents presidents who think they're a king from making personal deals.  It also obligates future presidents.  Obama never gave the word of our country.  He ignored our constitutional rules.  It would be like your PM deciding on Brexit on her own.
Last night mr Trump almost started a war in the middle east...
A war that could be easely greater than the war in Irak where about a million people were killed, mostly young Irakis that were send to war.
This new war could be even nuclear with Israel and Iran as participant.
Apparantly you do not need the Senates approval to start a war...  A war far away from the US and very close to Europe. I want OBAMA !
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 04:57:59 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #614 on: June 21, 2019, 04:19:02 pm »

Everyone who said trump is dangerous, erratic, and would start wwiii was just proven wrong.   He canceled a planned retaliatory attack. 

rabanito

« Reply #615 on: June 21, 2019, 04:25:52 pm »

Everyone who said trump is dangerous, erratic, and would start wwiii was just proven wrong.   He canceled a planned retaliatory attack.

Well Alan...That looks like erratic...
Sorry for intruding

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #616 on: June 21, 2019, 05:10:06 pm »

Word is Donald may have been persuaded to cancel the action by Fox News’ Tucker! Okay, so gotta admit, Fox “News” did good. Still, with John “WWIII” Bolton whispering in the big D’s ear, we should all try to persuade any family member from joining the military unless most of Washington’s scions are in uniform too.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #617 on: June 21, 2019, 05:17:27 pm »

Well. If Iran does another shootdown or something,  then when Trump retaliates,  everyone will say he was very patient and everyone will blame Iran.

Rob C

« Reply #618 on: June 21, 2019, 05:27:16 pm »

Last night mr Trump almost started a war in the middle east...
A war that could be easely greater than the war in Irak where about a million people were killed, mostly young Irakis that were send to war.
This new war could be even nuclear with Israel and Iran as participant.
Apparantly you do not need the Senates approval to start a war...  A war far away from the US and very close to Europe. I want OBAMA !

It's useless. You can't get through: nobody can.

The nuclear deal the civilized world (which included the USA that day) signed up to with Iran is now an aberration by a man called Obama. It was illegal for him to have signed up - we are told - but the rest of the world was led to believe it was honourably valid, and so it now looks as if Trump is not the first American president to fake not only news, but deals too! Goodness me, how the plot thickens!

Yet, some-magic-how, that's not making America look and behave untrustworthy at all, only clever and great at deals! Right.

Like climate change: myth, dear boy, myth! All those gasses we pump out go away into a gravity-defying cloud and head for the nearest black hole. Absolutely no effect on Earth at all! Nothing to worry about! Again, right.

So some truths are good fibs and some lies are truths in disguise. And you thought nobody could make it up?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #619 on: June 21, 2019, 05:49:01 pm »

It's useless. You can't get through: nobody can....

Rob, I can only wish that the condescending tone toward Alan is taken down a notch. Alan has been patiently, and very politely, giving you in a nutshell one side of the story. If you want to believe only the other side, that is fine, but that does not invalidate the aspect of the situation that Alan provides.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 107   Go Up