Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 118734 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2019, 06:01:27 pm »

It's interesting that all the major credit card companies are now sending out notices that if there is a dispute it must be settled by binding arbitration rather than the legal system.  One can opt out if you read the whole notice by sending a letter by some date in August.  More things are being pushed into arbitration these days.
Arbitration is a good idea in many cases.  It can avoid high legal costs.  It can end disputes much more quickly.  If you go the legal route, you might be dead before they finish the case.  That will only be good for your wife's next husband. :)

Rob C

« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2019, 06:02:24 pm »

Good grief! It's just turned into Thursday! Both my bar and restaurant options are closed this new today, but I did buy myself the makings of paella for lunch!

Night night!

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2019, 06:08:28 pm »

...    How are illegals handled in Europe?

For example (emphasis mine):

Denmark has some of the most aggressive anti-immigrant policies in Europe. That has included taking out foreign-newspaper adverts warning potential migrants that they are not welcome, and authorizing police to seize cash and valuables from arriving asylum seekers to offset the cost of their maintenance...

... In the past year, the center-right government has passed a so-called burqa ban, even though fewer than 0.1% of Muslim women in Denmark wear veils, and a law requiring parents in neighborhoods designated as “ghettos” to submit their children to extra schooling in “Danish values.” From January, new citizens are required to shake hands with the official conducting the naturalization ceremony, regardless of their beliefs about physical contact with members of the opposite sex—a law perceived as targeting conservative Muslims...

...The DF’s Henriksen, who believes Trump’s policies on immigration are “too weak,” echoes Holtug’s point. “America is a country founded on migration, but Denmark is not. We’re a small country, and what binds us is a common language, and a common set of traditions and values. If we let in a large number of foreigners with their own cultures, ours will be overwhelmed.”...

"An Island for ‘Unwanted’ Migrants Is Denmark’s Latest Aggressive Anti-Immigrant Policy"

https://time.com/5504331/denmark-migrants-lindholm-island/

Good news there is a bipartisanship in Denmark:

"Denmark's centre-left set to win election with anti-immigration shift
Social Democrats expected to return to power this week after backing once far-right policies"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/04/denmark-centre-left-predicted-win-election-social-democrats-anti-immigration-policies

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2019, 06:20:41 pm »

Arbitration is a good idea in many cases.  It can avoid high legal costs.  It can end disputes much more quickly.  If you go the legal route, you might be dead before they finish the case. 
That will only be good for your wife's next husband. :)

Or for the lawyer's wife or husband.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2019, 08:49:05 pm »

They’re kept in cages at the border. No ... hang on a mo ...

In Europe, I thought it was on ships?  ???
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #225 on: June 05, 2019, 08:57:58 pm »

Hold your horses, Rob, I was talking about my old home country, Serbia.

Okay, now I understand.  I thought for a moment you were telling us you were from Texas.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #226 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:16 pm »

Rob, In America, we don;t yet have national healthcare except for the elderly and indigent.

Also military veterans.

jeremyrh

« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2019, 12:45:42 am »

VAT isn't part of your wage slip; it's a tax levied on services and goods, sometimes at different rates and with some exceptions. It was introduced into the UK with the advent of joining Europe. Or at least, that's how I remember it and the fresh dose of paperwork that came with it entering my life.

Rob - for some reason Alan has become obsessed by VAT. I haven't yet worked out why - maybe he thinks it's part of some evil plot to take away the guns that have kept the American public safe. He is also under the illlusion that we all think the NHS is free. Good luck with making him understand that even the most ignorant Brexiteer knows very well that it isn't.

Rob C

« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2019, 05:01:05 am »

For example (emphasis mine):

"An Island for ‘Unwanted’ Migrants Is Denmark’s Latest Aggressive Anti-Immigrant Policy"

https://time.com/5504331/denmark-migrants-lindholm-island/

Good news there is a bipartisanship in Denmark:

Social Democrats expected to return to power this week after backing once far-right policies"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/04/denmark-centre-left-predicted-win-election-social-democrats-anti-immigration-policies

Again, we wander far from the topic, but as it happens, it's an interesting problem - amd problem it sure is.

People flee for many reasons: some out of fear for their lives as those of their family; others out of curiosity and yet more for economic improvement. Not all of those need become illegal migrants, but if you start from the basis of being penniless and/or unskilled in any relevantly useful way, illegality is probably your only means to travel, and your feet your new best friends.

Those who flee war at home may or may not have the same concept of country and nationality as do we in the west; if they live in the desert, in the Rift Valley or deep in central Africa, does - can - nationality mean the same thing to them as to western people? Does religion replace nationality? Have they any idea of how different and alien they are going to appear to us, and how difficult if not impossible it will be to get legal, paid work that will let them survive in a place with such a relatively higher cost of living? I'd guess the chances are that, should they make it here, wherever in the west here happens to be, the only chance of a new survival will be found in crime, which the diaspora will help them turn to like a foot into a perfectly fitted shoe. The ghetto becomes the new country, leading to what folks already experience in France and Belgium and parts of Britain. Who has the slightest idea who lives there, how accurate any census that may have been collected?

How should the unwilling or unwitting host react? There are established laws governing such matters, but again, as with the old American one about carrying arms, designed for the problems of a different age, where none of today's modern weapons existed and a single man's mass shootings a physical impossibility, these are mainly no longer fit for purpose.

A country has to decide: does it want to retain its national identity as a white, nominally Christian land where, already, the two broader brands have led to wars of religion and today still cause deep conflicts and division in several areas or, perhaps, does it perceive advantages in introducing yet more variables that can realistically only make matters more complicated and thus inevitably worse?

I believe that the only way to preserving the status quo prior to mass immigration is in preventing that immigration from happening. Whether through interventions abroad in one form or another - preferably not our own military - I don't know; that's what thinking politicians are supposed to know, and why politicians with no idea of foreign affairs are also unfit for purpose. Letting people in en masse as an emotional response is madness, one that if not instantly suicidal, is getting pretty close to creating that time bomb. You think that exaggeration? It's what much of Brexit is about, and those newcomers are mostly other Europeans, for heaven's sake, sharing the same religion - if any! The migration problems and ghettos Britain has are painted with the colours black and brown, not white. Which is not to suggest that the white ones will make you feel any the safer, should you wander there by mistake. Glasgow had/has? its own distinct ganglands, with slogans on the walls: Fleet, Toon etc. and to somebody from out of town, how could they possibly know since everybody looked the same? Even my own little town up here in northern Mallorca has graffiti everywhere, with repeated tags. The arches of bridges over the motorways are as festooned with such decorations as anywhere in a big city. More diversity is no friggin' help in these matters, just a further complication to be avoided at all costs.

How to treat those who do get in? How can anyone possibly vet them to know who they really are, from whence they come or why? Before we had modern terrorism and the volumes, it might have been permissible just to let 'em stay; in today's climate that would be a huge abdication of duty, so I guess the European idea of returning them to the point of entry makes sense, and then we have to help that point of entry turn back the tides through repatriation to whichever land from which those migrants claim to come. It's a humanistically tough call for anyone to have to make, but to avoid our own disaster, we have to make that call, one way or the other.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:08:13 am by Rob C »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2019, 05:53:02 am »

This is interesting, especially as it now turned out to be correct. Intriguingly, Denmark has previously negotiated a special deal within EU regarding their migration policies. That seems to raise an interesting question. What if the Brexit referendum was about the choice between leaving the EU entirely, or leaving just the migration policy of the EU?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

jeremyrh

« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2019, 08:13:58 am »

This is interesting, especially as it now turned out to be correct. Intriguingly, Denmark has previously negotiated a special deal within EU regarding their migration policies. That seems to raise an interesting question. What if the Brexit referendum was about the choice between leaving the EU entirely, or leaving just the migration policy of the EU?

Well of course that was always possible and from the beginning the UK had the option to control immigration much more than it chose to.

Denmark is an interesting case - the right wing DFP have always had a significant following but probably be so they mix up the racist elements with softer policies about being nice to kittens etc.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:45:04 am by jeremyrh »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2019, 11:00:12 am »

With so much hanging below the belt, it's a miracle people didn't keep tripping over their bits and falling onto their faces. Or perhaps they did, but kept quiet about it. Brings to mind the fall of Rome; maybe they all did it at once.

I think, Rob, the secret of the Roman legion was the particular short sword.This could declare the initial invincibility.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #232 on: June 06, 2019, 11:05:37 am »

Many non-Americans here sound like Trump when it comes to immigration.  Interesting.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #233 on: June 06, 2019, 11:16:45 am »

There was a time when the American Left still had a few brain cells left:

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2019, 11:43:41 am »

There was a time when the American Left still had a few brain cells left:

And what do you suggest has changed since then?

It's not like a wall is going to make a difference, does it? Which incidentally doesn't bode well for the number of braincells on the right, comparatively.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2019, 11:48:23 am »

And what do you suggest has changed since then?...

They lost those few remaining brain cells. They now want open borders and to abolish ICE.

Rob C

« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2019, 01:04:36 pm »

They lost those few remaining brain cells. They now want open borders and to abolish ICE.

So where's the problem? So does Trump want to abolish ice. And flood out Florida with the results. That will see his votes surge!

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #237 on: June 06, 2019, 01:56:15 pm »

So where's the problem? So does Trump want to abolish ice. And flood out Florida with the results. That will see his votes surge!

Monty Python humor, Rob? I like it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #238 on: June 06, 2019, 02:31:30 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #239 on: June 06, 2019, 02:47:13 pm »

Monty Python humor, Rob? I like it.

Not unless you move to The Rockies in time! And don't holiday in the Maldives.

:-)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 107   Go Up