Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 118480 times)

Frans Waterlander

Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2019, 07:21:14 pm »

Of course the US has never been under formal attack aside from terrorist incidents.
What about Pearl Harbor? Get a grip, Alan! >:( ::)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2019, 07:31:59 pm »

What about Pearl Harbor? Get a grip, Alan! >:( ::)
Hawaii was not a state at the time and I should have clarified that.  The point is the US relied on the separation of oceans for its defense over all the years.  the main point is that there has been NO Congressional declaration of war since 1942 when the US declared war against Romania which was then part of the Axis powers in Europe along with Bulgaria and Hungary which war was also declared.  The Korean War was a UN police action led by the US.  I won't belabor the long history building up to the US involvement in Vietnam.  Look at how much money was sunk into the pacification wars against Iraq and Afghanistan.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2019, 08:17:39 pm »

I don't think he is evil, just very stupid and surrounds himself with people who will not challenge him.  All the good people have already left the administration.  The slippery slope of military intervention started only after WWII.  I'm fairly sure that a war declaration took place prior to that.  Of course the US has never been under formal attack aside from terrorist incidents.  We really don't know who attacked those ships and the film clip I saw was about as clear as the Zapruder film of the Kennedy shooting. 

I believe the Supreme COurt has already determined that Congressional legislation that provides funding to fight a war is tacit approval of going to war.  Congress can stop any war or military action started by the president by cutting off funding as they did in the 1970's when they stopped funding South VietNam.  Shortly thereafter, the North was able to overrun the South's military defenses. 

Frankly, Congress has avoided making difficult decisions that they should make regarding war.  They prefer to defer to the President because they are cowards who try to avoid political fallout that might occur by taking hard positions.  So over the years, they have granted presidents a lot of deference to start military actions while they look the other way or in fact giving him room to decide on his own with open-ended legislation.  For example, the Congressional  Act to fight terrorists  have been used by three president (Bush 2, Obama and Trump) to fight in Iraq, Afghanistan, and a host of other countries.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_for_Use_of_Military_Force_Against_Terrorists

Trump isn't going to war with Iran.  I suspect he might give them a bloody nose over the ship mining incident.   It will be interesting to see  what the Democrat presidential aspirants will say about it if he does that. 

Rob C

« Reply #463 on: June 15, 2019, 04:08:25 am »

That "evidence" film was a joke; some of you are supposed to be photographers who understand these things: go look at the angles of the shots, and if they come from a satellite, then for some angles on the action it must have a clear view from the horizon, not above, or be an invisible, silent drone. I see little, if any, signs of flattened perspective such as distance would force.

(Even more unconvincing than the Moon, where I find myself wondering who shot the shot of the first footfall fom that angle, which kinds shows it to be, in fact, at least the second such step onto the surface.  ;-) )

As evidence of anything, it's evidence of poor photography. Or good photography designed to look stolen.

Trump can't go to war; it's his election pledge to bring the troop's back home. You know he keeps his promises.

But look at it this way: after he retires, like all the egos who seek such power, he and family will forever have to forgo privacy and endure the proximity of security agents. Long live anonymity!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:14:18 am by Rob C »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #464 on: June 15, 2019, 09:57:17 pm »

That "evidence" film was a joke;
As evidence of anything, it's evidence of poor photography.

Indeed.  If that's an example of America's state of the art surveillance imagery, I'm woefully disappointed. 

First and foremost, it's interlaced!

The first rule of deceptive imagery is to make it look like crap, in order to hide the deception.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #465 on: June 16, 2019, 07:21:50 am »

Indeed.  If that's an example of America's state of the art surveillance imagery, I'm woefully disappointed. 

First and foremost, it's interlaced!

The first rule of deceptive imagery is to make it look like crap, in order to hide the deception.

For all we know, the video could have been shot by some American sailor on a surface ship 5 miles away with his personal iPhone.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #466 on: June 16, 2019, 09:24:50 am »

For all we know, the video could have been shot by some American sailor on a surface ship 5 miles away with his personal iPhone.

If so, it wouldn’t be interlaced.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

DP

« Reply #468 on: June 16, 2019, 10:13:56 am »

Didn't Stalin and Ribbentrop (of Germany) try to split up Poland before WWII?
not before UK, France, Germany, Poland and Hungary (yes, these latter 2 happily grabbed some lands - so much for Poles screeching about being a victim year later) gutted CZ in 1938  ;D

faberryman

« Reply #469 on: June 16, 2019, 10:43:57 am »

not before UK, France, Germany, Poland and Hungary (yes, these latter 2 happily grabbed some lands - so much for Poles screeching about being a victim year later) gutted CZ in 1938  ;D
Why are we revisiting WWII?

Rob C

« Reply #470 on: June 16, 2019, 11:07:19 am »

The thread's about American politics: anything goes.

:-)

jeremyrh

« Reply #471 on: June 16, 2019, 12:04:04 pm »

Just filling in time til Trump.starts WWIII.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #472 on: June 16, 2019, 12:31:07 pm »

Just filling in time til Trump.starts WWIII.
It's the Democrats pushing for conflict with Russia,  not Trump.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #473 on: June 16, 2019, 12:44:06 pm »

THIS is not being done by Democrats.  Also, do you have a quote that you can cite about Democrats wanting conflict with Russia?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #474 on: June 16, 2019, 12:45:38 pm »

THIS is not being done by Democrats.  Also, do you have a quote that you can cite about Democrats wanting conflict with Russia?

Or Iran, for that matter.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #475 on: June 16, 2019, 04:25:59 pm »

Where have you been?  Since he was elected, and before, Trump had been trying to establish relations with Putin.  The whole thing with "collusion" claims have been from the Democrats and a few neocon Republicans who have been hostile to Russia and Trump.  Because of that, he had to back off of what he wanted to do with Russia - develop better relations.  To say he wants WWIII is just silly.  Frankly we need to cozy up to Russia as a bulwark against an expanding China.  The "collusion" politics has spoiled the political impetus to do it. 

Regarding Iran, Bart, first he isn't going to war with them. Maybe a strike in response to their attack on the oil ships. In any case, this won't start WWIII.  And I never said this was being pushed by the Democrats.  I acknowledge his cancelling the US-Iran nuclear deal.  That's Trump's decision.    Time will tell whether it was a good decision. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #476 on: June 16, 2019, 04:28:43 pm »

Hawaii was not a state at the time and I should have clarified that.  The point is the US relied on the separation of oceans for its defense over all the years.  the main point is that there has been NO Congressional declaration of war since 1942 when the US declared war against Romania which was then part of the Axis powers in Europe along with Bulgaria and Hungary which war was also declared.  The Korean War was a UN police action led by the US.  I won't belabor the long history building up to the US involvement in Vietnam.  Look at how much money was sunk into the pacification wars against Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hawaii was a possession of the USA no different really than Puerto Rico.  If a country attacked the PR today, wouldn't we consider that an act of war?  In any case, Japan attacked our naval forces.  It doesn;t matter they were in Hawaii or on the open seas  That too is an act of war. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #477 on: June 16, 2019, 04:31:12 pm »

If so, it wouldn’t be interlaced.

I produce 1080i with my Photoshop Premiere Elements from phone and camera video's clips (4K and otherwise) .  Whenever I try to produce 1080p, the software fails.  We don't know if the video had an in-between step and not taken directly from the phone memory.

jeremyrh

« Reply #478 on: June 17, 2019, 01:35:47 am »

True enough - Trump has been happy enough to let Russia consolidate its invasion of Crimea, take over Syria (throwing the Kurds under the bus) etc. Pretty good payoff for a little election help.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #479 on: June 17, 2019, 02:01:47 am »

True enough - Trump has been happy enough to let Russia consolidate its invasion of Crimea...

You know that happened in 2014, two years before Trump, right?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 107   Go Up