Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z & Prores vs Blackmagic raw  (Read 1115 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: Nikon Z & Prores vs Blackmagic raw
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2019, 08:29:44 pm »

I am on Windows using 8 bit output to NEC monitor which has 12-bit internal processing. After monitor calibration and with the use of the icc profiles there is absolutely no visible banding in color managed worklow, using Photoshop. The key here really is the 12-bit processing prior the 8-bit final output.

Michael, I think the issue here is the high bit processing you are using in Photoshop, rather than the 12 bit internal processing of the NEC display.  Or... it could be both :)

When color grading video in a video grading app, you don't have access to the volumetric color data contained in the .icc profile stored in your OS and used by Photoshop.  So, .icc/Spectraview calibration is not ideal for video grading.  This issue has been discussed at length in the liftgammagain.com forum.  The good news is, that if you are using Davinci Resolve, an iOne Display Pro probe, and a decklink video output card, then you can use open source Displaycal software to create a true 3D output LUT that you can use in Resolve.  If you are adventurous, you can check out the Displaycal website to see how this is done.  Or you can buy or rent Lightspace commercial software to do this as well, and it might be a slightly better calibration, but I'm not sure about that... But it's quite popular software for the professional grading business.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up