Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: have you tried the new Belgian Linen by Breathing Color?  (Read 3055 times)

deanwork

Re: have you tried the new Belgian Linen by Breathing Color?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 02:09:27 pm »

I’ve been using the Jacquard Belgian Linen (and silks,) coated for inkjet for about 17 years now. It has been one of my favorite mediums. However it is very vulnerable to flaking of the coating and it is does not have a full photo gamut or resolution as typical quality coated inkjet canvas like Breathing Color Lyve. But it has a totally different soft image structure that is tactile and beautiful. It looks expensive, which it is.

The dmax isn’t bad at all and the sharpness is fine for such as surface, but like I said, much more vulnerable to peeling off when a lot of ink is laid down. It is good for making scrolls that hang down from a dowel or bamboo rod. I always spray them with a Hahnemuhle uv coat. They are easy to roll up and transport in a tube and don’t require steaming or ironing to get wrinkles out  like silk often does. Jacquard makes the inkjet fabrics for many of these smaller companies.

However I sense this Breathing Color linen product is much more like real artists canvas linen and probably a lot more durable and richer in gamut and sharper. Looking forward to checking it out to find out.

Are you supposed to use their varnish on it?

Thanks for posting,

John

The texture looked very interesting, though, to the point where I am tempted to import a roll just to see what its like. I've often lamented that paper companies offer a variety of matte paper surfaces from ultra smooth to very coarse watercolor but canvas surface variety has been neglected. I usually go for a very smooth canvas but some images cry out for a coarse one.

Maybe itsupplies could convince Hahnemuhle to import a batch for people to sample.

Yvan Bedard

• Yvan Bedard Photo Nature
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 09:01:03 am »

The texture looked very interesting, though, to the point where I am tempted to import a roll just to see what its like. 

I may do the same. It may give a quite distinct look !
Yvan
Fine-art landscape photographer in Quebec City, Canada
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Yvan Bedard

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 09:14:32 am »

However I sense this Breathing Color linen product is much more like real artists canvas linen and probably a lot more durable and richer in gamut and sharper. Looking forward to checking it out to find out.

Are you supposed to use their varnish on it?

Thanks for posting,

John

Hi John,

Indeed, it seems to be very high quality. There is no indication about the need to varnish the print on their web site. I sent them an email minutes ago.

Yvan
Yvan

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 03:08:56 pm »

The texture was what I was pointing out, not what it was made out of. BTW, I called BC and asked if the canvas was as beige as the photo and they said yes. You're not printing on a white surface but a brown one.

I ordered a roll for fun but emailed to cancel the order when I read this.  However I got emails from 2 of their reps saying the surface coating is white so I kept the order.
 "The print side surface is white, the back is the natural light brownish color.".

mearussi

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 03:33:26 pm »

I ordered a roll for fun but emailed to cancel the order when I read this.  However I got emails from 2 of their reps saying the surface coating is white so I kept the order.
 "The print side surface is white, the back is the natural light brownish color.".
That's good to know, and not what they told me on the phone. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Yvan Bedard

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 04:26:30 pm »

That's what we see on their photo on the product page.

Yvan

deanwork

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 08:37:14 pm »

If the print side is white it must be coated with white pigment as a ground in addition to the ink receptor coating. Painters who paint on linen canvas usually prime it with titanium white so that’s normal. But if it’s primed like that I’m not sure the appearance will be much different than cotton primed canvas. The reason painters use linen is because it’s a stronger fiber that can last hundreds of years longer. In inkjet the reason I used the Jacquard Belgian Linen was the texture was totally different and very organic and unique.

I guess I’ll see when I order a sample.

Yvan Bedard

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2019, 09:55:37 am »

If the print side is white it must be coated with white pigment as a ground in addition to the ink receptor coating. Painters who paint on linen canvas usually prime it with titanium white so that’s normal. But if it’s primed like that I’m not sure the appearance will be much different than cotton primed canvas. The reason painters use linen is because it’s a stronger fiber that can last hundreds of years longer. In inkjet the reason I used the Jacquard Belgian Linen was the texture was totally different and very organic and unique.

I guess I’ll see when I order a sample.

Good point! It is truly a stronger fiber based on the specs. The texture seems similar to other mid-to-high textured cotton-based canvas.

I also received an answer from BC about varnishing. It is always better to use their varnish (I use Timeless) than not using varnish (except for a very few canvas made to be used without varnish). It can be sprayed or rolled. It can be mat, satin or glossy varnish.

Nevertheless, it is probable it will be used without varnish by many according to BC, and only time will say if it is OK.

I will order one roll for testing myself.

Yvan
Yvan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up