Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe stuff users again.  (Read 10058 times)

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 04:45:08 pm »

Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.
Been too, moot. The software products provide certain functions at a certain cost. You and I and other's either find the price to benefit useful or you and I and other's don't. Like ANY other product or service. I can't waste my time figuring out the political or monetary motivations of every company's CEO, board of directors etc. I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A because I find their political meanderings less than tasty, I don't eat or support them because the one time I did, I found the food rather vile. I don't find Adobe products to fall into that camp, they do the job I expect of them better than anything else I've tried. That's what people need to learn more about; if the products they purchase provide a reasonable price to benefit ratio. Bitching about it isn't going to do squat. You don't like Adobe, don't spend your money with them. Simple.

Quote
I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.
I can write pages of complaints about their software based on my needs. Not enough where I'm switching but plenty to critique. And as beta since 1995 or so, complaining enough, correctly, in the right venues can affect some changes (no guarantees). It's rather curious that actual customers don't spend their time constructively and where it's going to do the most good for them.   
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:48:33 pm by digitaldog »
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TonyW

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 656
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2019, 05:09:53 pm »

Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.

I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.
What a shame you have to resort to inane comments once called out.  Your bitching here has been noticed by others as is your need to put your own spin on what people are trying to tell you to fit your agenda

No one here is being defensive about Adobe and your spin on what you need to support your case is poor as is your denial of your own statements and refusal to answer specifics.

You feel the need to raise an old rant about Adobe even though 10 years behind and not even contacted them directly, OK you’ve done.  Best advice just move on!
Logged

Rhossydd

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3457
    • http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2019, 05:13:31 pm »

You don't like Adobe, don't spend your money with them. Simple.
Agreed. I'm a firm believer in voting with my wallet.
Since the mess at the CS5/6 upgrade path I've stopped spending any more with Adobe. There are plenty of other products that compete.
But that doesn't stop me from being annoyed that having spent a lot with them in the past they care so little.

Life moves on; Resolve is now better than Premiere, Affinity offers serious competition to Photoshop and InDesign, Capture One is close and better in some aspects than LR.
Adobe's dominance in imaging is under threat. The future will tell if their strategy for imaging products works in the really long term or not.
Adobe's future is not in imaging products, as Schewe has implied before.

Logged

Rhossydd

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3457
    • http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2019, 05:21:16 pm »

No one here is being defensive about Adobe
ROFL

Logged

bobfriedman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 363
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2019, 05:25:51 pm »

I have a CS6 CD for the Mac if anyone really needs it.
Logged
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2019, 05:54:51 pm »

Adobe's future is not in imaging products, as Schewe has implied before.
No one here, Schewe included, can predict the future. Pointless, absurd. If and when Adobe announce they no longer sell and support PS and LR, let's talk.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2019, 06:15:18 pm »

Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.

I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.

You came here seeking an answer to a problem.  People aren't necessarily defensive about Adobe.  You diverted attention from getting a solution to your problem to a bit of a rant about Adobe. People in this forum will be incredibly helpful if you stick to the issue at hand. 

========================

FWIW I've been to past Adobe Max events.  It can be quite exhilarating to attend.  It's not the end all be all though.  If you're looking for guidance on their direction their financial reports and Wall Street reports can cover that as well. 

For those who can't attend Adobe usually posts sessions on their site if you'd like to check them out. 

https://2018.max.adobe.com/sessions/max-online/

Logged
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2019, 06:47:33 pm »

If you'd been to an Adobe Max conference you'd know how unimportant the imaging products are in Adobe's portfolio.

That may well be true: my impression (as a former institutional customer) is that a large portion of Adobe's revenue is attributable to volume purchasers.

Quote
the imaging products are . . .
now just a side line. Which why they don't care about the small customers anymore.

Actually, I would argue just the opposite: the photography plan for Lightroom and Photoshop seems to have been crafted as a special concessionary price for single and low-volume purchasers.

Adobe's future is not in imaging products, as Schewe has implied before.

On this site?  Can you provide a link to where he said that?  I recall that he has made the point that photographers constitute a small proportion of Adobe's customer base, but it's also my recollection that he said it in a context where he was making the same point I made above: that the company's subscription offerings actually favor low-volume licensees.

I don't feel any particular "loyalty" to Adobe,* but I use Lightroom and Photoshop almost every day, and several of the company's other products less frequently, and until I find better or equally functional and less-expensive alternatives, I'm comfortable with both Adobe's price-point and the convenience of keeping my software up-to-date.

——
*Or any other software vendor, for that matter.  I'm satisfied with my Apple hardware, but their software support policy really pisses me off: they almost never acknowledge unresolved bugs (or, often, even resolved ones).  But, as Tony Soprano used to say, "whaddayagonnado?"

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2019, 08:22:45 pm »

I have been printing using Photoshop 2017 because I like to print a black border on my prints and this feature is bugged in the newer versions of Photoshop.  Adobe has known about this bug for a couple years but has done nothing to fix it yet.  It's a feature that has been in photoshop for many many years...

I am not pleased...
You mean Border seen below? Because it absolutely works on my copy (prints a black border based as size configured).
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

hogloff

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1194
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2019, 08:23:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure I still have floppy around her somewhere with PCDOS 3.1 on it.
Now, where did I put that thing?   8)

Oh, don't worry about it. IBM has your back. Just go onto their site and download it along with all the patches...good to go!
Logged

hogloff

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1194
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2019, 08:29:52 pm »

Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.

I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.

Criticism is fine...but when it turns into childish whining...it's time to move onto something that doesn't cause thus excessive whining.
Logged

Peter McLennan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4692
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2019, 09:51:40 pm »

I like to print a black border on my prints and this feature is bugged in the newer versions of Photoshop.  Adobe has known about this bug for a couple years but has done nothing to fix it yet.
I am not pleased...


Neither am I.  The print dialog is still borked, too.  "Print" quite often returns a gibberish preview.  They promised us more intensive bug fixes with the subscription model.  They have not delivered, IMHO.

digitaldog, if your print function delivers a correctly printed border, then that must be a MacOS bonus.  It's still broken in Windows 10 and the latest PSCC offering.  Has been for nearly two years now

For a real head-scratcher, try investigating that Adobe did to those who used the website builder "Muse" to earn their living.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:01:57 pm by Peter McLennan »
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2019, 10:08:34 pm »

digitaldog, if your print function delivers a correctly printed border, then that must be a MacOS bonus.  It's still broken in Windows 10 and the latest PSCC offering. 
Yup, zero such issues under Mac OS.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Zen8

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • My Photo Collections
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2019, 11:13:11 pm »

I have been doing some reading about this and yes it appears to effect older versions. You can still download LR6 from Adobe's site but not previous versions. I also read that if you call customer service you can get older versions.

It appears this has to do with Java licenses and the way they changed it. That's why the adobe email talks about copyright infringement of 3rd parties. I didn't get the email but others did. I may have but I usually just delete them because they are typically promoting upgrades or other plans.


https://www.lakesidesoftware.com …ensing-changes-impact-you (external link)

https://dazwallace.wordpress.com/2019/05/08/the-great-adobe-purge-of-19/

Bart_van_der_Wolf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8919
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2019, 05:39:08 am »

Oh, don't worry about it. IBM has your back. Just go onto their site and download it along with all the patches...good to go!

The various versions can be downloaded
here: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/1x , or
here: https://archive.org/details/IBMPC-DOSOldCollection    ;)

These links were among the first that Google turned up with.

Try that with Adobe software ...

The whole issue is one of trust. Professional users have to do contingency planning, including making a 'Plan-B' in order to avoid being confronted with showstoppers (usually when least convenient). For that, a business-relation needs to be trustworthy, fair to both stakeholders, and predictable (in a good sense). Given Adobe's track-record, one can (should) ask oneself if investing (time, effort, and money) in something that seems to take a questionable direction is a wise thing. That question will be answered differently by different users.

I have chosen to spend my resources on 'better' alternatives.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:30:28 am by Bart_van_der_Wolf »
Logged
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

TonyW

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 656
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2019, 08:23:08 am »

Waiting for paint to dry so out of curiosity contacted Adobe about downloading antiquated software.  To my surprise quick response, Sunday afternoon total time of conversation 5 minutes, bottom line positive can be seen from the conversation
EDIT: I have removed the name of the Adobe customer support guy which was shown in the original conversation
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:38:34 am by TonyW »
Logged

hogloff

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1194
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2019, 08:35:32 am »

The various versions can be downloaded
here: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/1x , or
here: https://archive.org/details/IBMPC-DOSOldCollection    ;)

These links were among the first that Google turned up with.

Try that with Adobe software ...

The whole issue is one of trust. Professional users have to do contingency planning, including making a 'Plan-B' in order to avoid being confronted with showstoppers (usually when least convenient). For that, a business-relation needs to be trustworthy, fair to both stakeholders, and predictable (in a good sense). Given Adobe's track-record, one can (should) ask oneself if investing (time, effort, and money) in something that seems to take a questionable direction is a wise thing. That question will be answered differently by different users.

I have chosen to spend my resources on 'better' alternatives.

Cheers,
Bart

For me, I tried a bunch of alternatives...actually liked a few...but at least 50% of these alternatives are gone...just disappeared. Now I just stick with Adobe as it is the most complete, powerful and for me most productive solution...that for a professional is very important.
Logged

hogloff

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1194
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2019, 08:40:44 am »

The various versions can be downloaded
here: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/1x , or
here: https://archive.org/details/IBMPC-DOSOldCollection    ;)

These links were among the first that Google turned up with.

Try that with Adobe software ...

The whole issue is one of trust. Professional users have to do contingency planning, including making a 'Plan-B' in order to avoid being confronted with showstoppers (usually when least convenient). For that, a business-relation needs to be trustworthy, fair to both stakeholders, and predictable (in a good sense). Given Adobe's track-record, one can (should) ask oneself if investing (time, effort, and money) in something that seems to take a questionable direction is a wise thing. That question will be answered differently by different users.

I have chosen to spend my resources on 'better' alternatives.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart, those aren't IBM sites. You as a professional would rely on some 3rd party sites to have your back if you lose your installation? Really?
Logged

Bart_van_der_Wolf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8919
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2019, 09:17:43 am »

Bart, those aren't IBM sites.

Correct, I didn't spend much time searching, as I said these are among the first hits that Google produces. They're probably popular to be so high on the list, and likely to be scrutinized by many already. Maybe IBM has something similar to offer, but I couldn't care less for that software.

Quote
You as a professional would rely on some 3rd party sites to have your back if you lose your installation? Really?

Not if I can avoid it, that's why I keep copies of the original software distributions (and I always purchased the boxed version, with CDs if possible) and updates/bug-fixes, but that doesn't guarantee that the validation procedure succeeds in the future. In fact, my Photoshop CS6 Extended has been spontaneously reset to 30(?)-day trial status several times last year (of course, just as I was finishing a deadline project). It forced me to waste more time on that dead-end track.

Cheers,
Bart
Logged
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Daverich

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2019, 02:19:28 pm »

This is what Adobe has to say about getting older software. I have no reason to try it but I notice they say to call if you can’t find what you’re looking for.....

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up