Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe stuff users again.  (Read 6984 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Adobe stuff users again.
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 12:20:38 pm »

Windows 2000? Wait, I kept my installation disk. Whew!
Nope, Mac OS 6.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TonyW

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 12:23:32 pm »

I have been printing using Photoshop 2017 because I like to print a black border on my prints and this feature is bugged in the newer versions of Photoshop.  Adobe has known about this bug for a couple years but has done nothing to fix it yet.  It's a feature that has been in photoshop for many many years...

I am not pleased...
Thats interesting as I am just waiting for an image to be delivered for restoration and have been asked to print with a black border. 

Not tried yet but had assumed that the border function in the print dialogue worked as shown on screen limited to 3.5mm (0.15"), is this not the case due to an application bug? 

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 01:04:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure I still have floppy around her somewhere with PCDOS 3.1 on it.
Now, where did I put that thing?   8)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 01:05:30 pm »

They don't make it easy but I logged into my account, it took a lot of hunting to come up with the serial number page and no downloads. However if you ordered from them and click on the link to the actual order, there is another link to directly download the program, whether or not this is the latest or not I do not know. I moved away from Adobe products because of this behavior from them. My choice it has worked out well for me.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

faberryman

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 01:07:39 pm »

I kept mine until I got rid of my 5 1/4" drive about twenty years ago.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 01:12:21 pm »

How can you say .... also state that PS CS4 did not need any updates?
When have I said that ?

I will ask once again, what important software do you own that is over 10 years old and is still supported in terms of being held on the original companies server for you to download as required.
Have a look at how X-Rite support their, and even older, GMB software and hardware.
PMP 5 is still excellent software and easily available from their servers.

It cost next to nothing to keep these products available and is good customer service. Adobe don't care.

faberryman

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2019, 01:14:49 pm »

When have I said that ?
Have a look at how X-Rite support their, and even older, GMB software and hardware.

It cost next to nothing to keep these products available and is good customer service. Adobe don't care.
X-Rite didn't update the Mac software for my EyeOne for changes in OS and now it is useless.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2019, 01:26:51 pm »

X-Rite didn't update the Mac software for my EyeOne for changes in OS and now it is useless.

As you well know, there is a difference between updating software to match OS upgrades, and providing a link to the latest published version (and already published updates). The latter costs virtually nothing, and is a good service to customers who paid for a perpetual licence.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

TonyW

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 02:20:50 pm »

When have I said that ?
Ahh, my bad must have mistaken you for this fellow  ???
PS CS4 didn't need any updates. It was good software and still is.
I didn't upgrade to CS5 or CS6 because it was...

.....Have a look at how X-Rite support their, and even older, GMB software and hardware.
Adobe does not manufacture hardware that must be supported.  There is a world of difference and I can tell you as someone who was involved in equipment supply to corporate buyers that with equipment an award of contract would be based on an obligation to guarantee to keep spares and software updates for a minimum period of 10 years after the date that equipment discontinued.  AFAIK no such requirements exist for software only provision and would guess that would be accounted for in upfront costs in any case - exceptions?

So you have said before about costs, but as yet not provided any proof of what could be deemed as negligible, do you have an itemised breakdown example?

‘Adobe don’t care’, well that is just your opinion and I can only guess based on the fact that you probably hate the subscription model?  But then why rant on about it as you are several generations behind and do not care about the new versions of PS?

To be clear my stance on Adobe products and subscription models in general is that I do not really want to rent software - I do not like this model. The reality is, that for now I have not found anything that convinces me to jump ship and invest time into learning competing products to LR & PS and have faith that those products and the company will still be active in 10 years, accepting YMMV.

A company that does not care and does not innovate will not survive long term

Rhossydd

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2019, 02:33:05 pm »

Adobe does not manufacture hardware that must be supported.
PMP5 isn't hardware.
So you have said before about costs, but as yet not provided any proof of what could be deemed as negligible, do you have an itemised breakdown example?
You know I can't quantify exactly how much keeping a few web pages on line would cost Adobe. They're a major player in big data and the imaging side of the business is no big deal to them. Keeping a few pages open and the bandwidth needed to service those pages is minimal in their big corporate picture.
‘Adobe don’t care’, well that is just your opinion and I can only guess based on the fact that you probably hate the subscription model?  But then why rant on about it as you are several generations behind and do not care about the new versions of PS?
No, not particularly bothered with the new PS, but if I could buy LR I would, possibly even PS, but those options are no longer available.
I won't subscribe.
A company that does not care and does not innovate will not survive long term
Adobe are looking elsewhere for their major profits anyway.
Keeping the imaging products ticking away on subscription is a useful cash cow now. It's clear anyone that doesn't want to play their game can just go away regardless of their past loyalty and custom.

rdonson

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2019, 03:00:20 pm »

PMP5 isn't hardware.You know I can't quantify exactly how much keeping a few web pages on line would cost Adobe. They're a major player in big data and the imaging side of the business is no big deal to them. Keeping a few pages open and the bandwidth needed to service those pages is minimal in their big corporate picture.No, not particularly bothered with the new PS, but if I could buy LR I would, possibly even PS, but those options are no longer available.
I won't subscribe.Adobe are looking elsewhere for their major profits anyway.
Keeping the imaging products ticking away on subscription is a useful cash cow now. It's clear anyone that doesn't want to play their game can just go away regardless of their past loyalty and custom.

I'm not sure why you dislike Adobe.  Most of us work or worked for companies that made or hope to make profits.  It's a system called capitalism.  Not a perfect system perhaps but it seems we don't have much of an alternative yet.  Wall Street expects more profit every quarter.  Woe to those companies who don't.

Some may dislike a subscription service.  Some of us like it.  Count me as one who likes it.  I like the periodic updates and advances that in the past only happened every 12-18 months.  I like the hit me a little each month for the subscription versus for a lot more money every year or so.  The good news is you have a choice.  You can subscribe or not.  If you chose not to subscribe I don't understand why you complain about the subscription model. 

Instead of blasting Adobe it might be better to focus on a solution to your problem of getting some old software.  If it's available I'm sure that Adobe will help you find it.  I wonder how many requests Adobe gets for that version. 
Regards,
Ron

faberryman

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2019, 03:18:31 pm »

Some may dislike a subscription service.  Some of us like it.  Count me as one who likes it.  I like the periodic updates and advances that in the past only happened every 12-18 months.  I like the hit me a little each month for the subscription versus for a lot more money every year or so.  The good news is you have a choice.  You can subscribe or not.  If you chose not to subscribe I don't understand why you complain about the subscription model.
There are plenty of options. If you like LR/PS subscribe. If you don't like the subscription model, choose something else. Whining about it won't get you anywhere.

TonyW

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »

Question:  What is PMP5 exactly?

I do know that you are unable to quantify costs as you are also unable to estimate costs for staff time, customer support to deal with any queries relating to installation, licensing etc etc.  Nevertheless it is more relevant than just declaring that cost are only related to keeping a few web pages open and a guess that costs are minimal.  All costs need to be accounted for in keeping a business if you want to survive, it is the cumulative effect of missing the seemingly insignificant that can lead to less than stellar results.

Options for LR taken away due to subscription no go area, I understand and sympathise with your stance.  Still you have choices of excellent raw editors that will give LR a run for money according to many along with DAM applications, some even FOC  ;D

Where do you believe Adobe are looking now for their major profits?

It seems to me that loyalty to companies and products has long passed us by, if it really existed in the first place!   For now I am sticking mainly with Adobe in spite of me telling them that I did not like their subscription model and them ignoring my pleas for both subscription and perpetual (limited) options they ignored me.  I never declared fealty to Adobe neither did they to me so I am free to choose, as they are to alter their business model to suit them, their shareholders whatever.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2019, 03:28:25 pm »

There are plenty of options. If you like LR/PS subscribe. If you don't like the subscription model, choose something else. Whining about it won't get you anywhere.
+1 but some have nothing better to do than whine. And considering the state of problems on the planet, that so many need to whine, so often about one software company, gotta wonder about their priorities  :'(

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2019, 03:32:53 pm »

PMP5 is ProfileMaker Pro. Without supported hardware not too useful and old enough that it doesn't run on some modern systems anyway. Very expensive special use product that isn't remotely useful to compare with ANY Adobe products.

TonyW

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2019, 03:37:48 pm »

Eric, I am pretty sure that you can get some cream to cure that problem even without prescription  ;D  ;)

Really, really, sorry I just could not resist - no offence meant  :)

Rhossydd

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2019, 03:42:23 pm »

Where do you believe Adobe are looking now for their major profits?
The products dealing with big data. If you'd been to an Adobe Max conference you'd know how unimportant the imaging products are in Adobe's portfolio.
It's now just a side line. Which why they don't care about the small customers anymore.

TonyW

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2019, 03:50:50 pm »

PMP5 is ProfileMaker Pro. Without supported hardware not too useful and old enough that it doesn't run on some modern systems anyway. Very expensive special use product that isn't remotely useful to compare with ANY Adobe products.
Thank you Andrew.   Having worked/consulted with X-Rite many years ago (an upstart how did they assimilate GretagMacbeth  ;D) and knowing them to be hardware oriented I assumed that PMP5 was software but had not made the Profilemaker Pro connection.

TonyW

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2019, 04:15:48 pm »

The products dealing with big data. If you'd been to an Adobe Max conference you'd know how unimportant the imaging products are in Adobe's portfolio.
It's now just a side line. Which why they don't care about the small customers anymore.
Never been to an Adobe Max conference, have you and is there any synopsis of the one?

In the meantime and short term I am following this advice  :D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0lOtdvqyg

If they do not care and as we all have alternatives I do not subscribe to this school of thought either  ;D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V7NlFWh7Sz8

Rhossydd

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2019, 04:39:06 pm »

Never been to an Adobe Max conference, have you
Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.

I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up