Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Native Lenses and Adapters for Nikon Z Mirrorless  (Read 8272 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Non-Native Lenses and Adapters for Nikon Z Mirrorless
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2019, 05:07:52 am »

Thought I would add link to this video that shows the host trying the new Techart adapter from Nikon Z to Sony lens. Very short. He also says the FTZ Nikon adapter does not work as well as advertised. And that is another video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfjtT17FflY

JR

Well, I'm not concerned with auto-focus, but only with manual. For that the TechArt TZE-01 adapter works perfectly for my work and is practically invisible.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

SrMi

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2019, 02:20:02 pm »

Thought I would add link to this video that shows the host trying the new Techart adapter from Nikon Z to Sony lens. Very short. He also says the FTZ Nikon adapter does not work as well as advertised. And that is another video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfjtT17FflY

JR

Rick Vestuto does not say what he dislikes with FTZ, but all detailed feedback that I read (including my experience) is that FTZ works exceptionally well, except for some third-party lenses.  Rick observes correctly that Techart adapter occasionally gets stuck when auto-focusing. It needs a little bit of help (approximate focus manually), and then you can use AF for critical focus. Focus shift shooting seems to work well with Techart and Sony 90mm macro.

John R

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 07:10:58 pm »

Rick Vestuto does not say what he dislikes with FTZ, but all detailed feedback that I read (including my experience) is that FTZ works exceptionally well, except for some third-party lenses.  Rick observes correctly that Techart adapter occasionally gets stuck when auto-focusing. It needs a little bit of help (approximate focus manually), and then you can use AF for critical focus. Focus shift shooting seems to work well with Techart and Sony 90mm macro.
You are probably right. I only linked to it so you can actually see what people are talking about. Quite frankly, I was impressed by what I saw despite the hiccups. As to his complaints about the FTZ adapter, it is in another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQq_So3tvhs

He is really picky and complains about issues I can't see or hear. But he states there is hunting and noise using the FTZ on older Nikon lenses. He concludes, don't bother adapting unless you need to; and go native if you want and expect flawless performance. Like Michael I will be happy if the FTZ can help me in any way to mount my older Nikon manual lenses. I am going to rent the Z6 and see how it goes.

JR
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:21:35 pm by John R »

SrMi

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 11:08:30 pm »

You are probably right. I only linked to it so you can actually see what people are talking about. Quite frankly, I was impressed by what I saw despite the hiccups. As to his complaints about the FTZ adapter, it is in another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQq_So3tvhs

He is really picky and complains about issues I can't see or hear. But he states there is hunting and noise using the FTZ on older Nikon lenses. He concludes, don't bother adapting unless you need to; and go native if you want and expect flawless performance. Like Michael I will be happy if the FTZ can help me in any way to mount my older Nikon manual lenses. I am going to rent the Z6 and see how it goes.

JR

Tons of people are reporting that F mount AF-P 70-300 works really well on Z camera, some say even better than on the DSLRs. One difference is that VR is always active with a Z camera, not only when half-pressing the shutter. An active lens VR may produce noise.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 05:14:54 am »

First test of Sigma 35mm f1.2 on Z7 through tech art is more or less encouraging.

Eye AF works fine at f1.2 but not very consistently. There is currently no newer firmware than the one the adapter came installed with.

The lens AF is not super fast, but I have not noticed any particular hunting so far in good light. In poor light and moving subject, it really hit and miss. I got some decent results with a subject moving as a slow and consistent pace.

The lens itself is very sharp even at f1.2. Very impressive! Light fall off in the corners is very high as expected.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:06:32 am by BernardLanguillier »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 12:45:14 pm »

Experimenting with my 50mm Zeiss C Sonnar ZM as a 'character' lens using Novoflex adapter on Nikon Z7 @ f/1.5 .

Manoli

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 02:08:31 pm »

Experimenting with my 50mm Zeiss C Sonnar ZM as a 'character' lens using Novoflex adapter on Nikon Z7 @ f/1.5 .

Keith,

Given the nature of the 'character' lens, I find it hard to draw any conclusions from the shot you've posted. What's your opinion ?.

The last cam I tried an M mount on was the Sony A7rII with a Summilux-M 50 & 75. From your shot I'm guesiing some smearing in the corners with central focus spot on. Much the same as my tests. In the end I found that, to my deep and great regret, the 50 did not surpass the SonyZeiss 55. Looks as though that may be the case with the Nikon S series 50 and the ZM.

Best,
M

Peter McLennan

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 02:20:39 pm »

Michael, have you experimented with Nikon's automatic focus stacking function?

KLaban

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2019, 03:33:43 pm »

Keith,

Given the nature of the 'character' lens, I find it hard to draw any conclusions from the shot you've posted. What's your opinion ?.

The last cam I tried an M mount on was the Sony A7rII with a Summilux-M 50 & 75. From your shot I'm guesiing some smearing in the corners with central focus spot on. Much the same as my tests. In the end I found that, to my deep and great regret, the 50 did not surpass the SonyZeiss 55. Looks as though that may be the case with the Nikon S series 50 and the ZM.

Best,
M

Hi M

The Zeiss 50 ZM on the Z7 will never be *a pin sharp general purpose lens and it was never my intention to use it as such. My hope was that it would prove to be a special purpose characterful alternative when used wide open at f/1.5 or at F/2 which is how I used it on the Leica M series bodies. Used in this way it seems to be every bit as characterful as it was on the Leica M, possibly more so. It’s also a darn sight easier to focus!

*The Nikon Z 50 f1.8 S is proving to be the best ‘standard’ I’ve used.

Best
Keith

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2019, 01:04:25 am »

Nice image! How long did you have to wait for it to reach the center? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2019, 04:08:25 am »

Nice image! How long did you have to wait for it to reach the center? ;)

Bernard, I'm still waiting!

Further to Manoli's question, the lens when used on the M rangefinders is indeed sharp centrally but this falls off towards the edges. On the Nikon Z this 'quality' is far more extreme. Keeping these limitations in mind I'll certainly be using the lens on the Z.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2019, 08:26:00 pm »

Nikon Z7 + Sigma 35mm f1.2 Art @ f1.2 on Techart

Probably the best bokeh I have seen on a wide lens with the Nikon 28mm f1.4.

Cheers,
Bernard

RobertJ

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2019, 08:24:23 pm »

I received the TechArt adapter and I have the Voigtlander 110mm APO Macro Sony E-Mount and the Voitlander 65mm APO Macro in Sony E-Mount. However, the problem that appears, using either of these lenses and the adapter on the Z7, is that the image I see in the Live View or EVF seems the right lighting, but when I click the shutter, the resulting image is VERY much over exposed. So, in order to get a properly exposed image I have to try and see in the EVF or Live View and focus a VERY dark image to get a resulting properly exposed image. Any ideas or similar experiences. And this is a major PITA.

Unless there is a work-around, this is a major disappointment.  I have hoped to have a what-you-see-is-what-you-get experience with this adapter and these Voigtlander Son--E-Mount lenses.

Michael, I would ditch the TechArt adapters and wait for the non-electronic Voigtlander E to Z adapters.  They were announced in February 2019, and should be coming out soon (They are still not out yet, which is unfortunate, I know).  I think they will officially be called the "EZ Adapter".  I asked a Voigtlander distributor when they will arrive, and he had no estimated time of arrival.

I will be buying several Voigtlander EZ adapters when they come out, to be used with manual aperture, manual focus lenses that I already own on a future Z body.  I plan on using the Loxia 21, Voigt 21 1.4, Voigt 65 APO, Loxia 85, and Voigt 110 APO.  Even if I sold my Sony system, I will be holding on to these manual lenses, especially the Voigt APO lenses.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 04:56:10 am »

First test of Sigma 35mm f1.2 on Z7 through tech art is more or less encouraging.

Eye AF works fine at f1.2 but not very consistently. There is currently no newer firmware than the one the adapter came installed with.

The lens AF is not super fast, but I have not noticed any particular hunting so far in good light. In poor light and moving subject, it really hit and miss. I got some decent results with a subject moving as a slow and consistent pace.

The lens itself is very sharp even at f1.2. Very impressive! Light fall off in the corners is very high as expected.

Cheers,
Bernard

Very nice lensrental test here:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/09/mtf-tests-of-the-sigma-35mm-f1-2-dg-art/
better MTF than the leica 75mm $$
Also the tamron 35 f1.4 seems to be a perfect lens.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 05:14:24 am »

Very nice lensrental test here:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/09/mtf-tests-of-the-sigma-35mm-f1-2-dg-art/
better MTF than the leica 75mm $$
Also the tamron 35 f1.4 seems to be a perfect lens.

My copy of the Sigma is good but quite a few people have been unhappy about theirs.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2019, 05:44:02 am »

My copy of the Sigma is good but quite a few people have been unhappy about theirs.

Cheers,
Bernard

I read that too: You always have to check what you bought. I have a Sigma 85 with some skew. Found out too late.
Not a problem with portraits, but at infinity lenscapes. My most perfect lens is the bulky Sigma 40mm, love it.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up