Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Native Lenses and Adapters for Nikon Z Mirrorless  (Read 8274 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Non-Native Lenses and Adapters for Nikon Z Mirrorless
« on: May 05, 2019, 03:57:48 am »

Although I have a lot of lenses, the little Nikkor “O,” known as the “CRT Nikkor” seems to be a gift that keeps on giving. I have used it for years to create photos that accent my particular style of photography, not sure how to describe it. I like stacked images that have a small but very sharp (and in focus) part of the photo and then the rest is kind of all bokeh and out of focus. When I ask myself why I like this style, it must be something like it captures the precision of this world we live in surrounded by the backdrop that this life we are living is kind of a dream we are having, a magical illusion. Whatever. We each have our own style.

Regardless of the reason, creating such an illusion takes care and sometimes equipment. I very much feel like (with the advent of usable mirrorless cameras), we have opened the floodgates of the next level of photography for everyone, certainly as regards lenses and their adapters.

Of course, like many of us, I am trying to see if I can extract my particular photo-style from these new mirrorless cameras, their lenses, and various adapters. I believe I can. Here are two tries at using adapters

In fact, I have never had so many usable lenses hitting the market. I can’t afford to buy them all. Here is a shot with the Z7 and the Z 50mm f/1.8 lens with the new Fotodiox 15mm extension. It allows me to get just that much closer with not too much loss of IQ. I see a rich photography future for those of us interested.

The second shot is with Novoflex adapter set for Visoflex II/III Leica (M39) adapter for the Nikon Z7. used with a couple of 10mm extensions and the Nikkor “O” CRT lens mentioned above. The M39 adapter allows me greater range for the Nikkor CRT and seems to produce good results. I have included a shot of the components to put this adapter together for clarity as to what I am doing.

P.S. The second shot is mislabeled as the CV-125, but it is the Nikkor "o." Also, it is a K5 not a K1 Ring used as a hood.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 07:16:50 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Non-Native Lenses and Adapters for Nikon Z Mirrorless
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 06:10:53 am »

Both look gorgeous!
But the nikkor-O is really something special indeed.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:48:14 pm »

Hi Michael,

How to you find the 50mm f1.8 S in absolute terms and in terms of price performance?

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 05:50:18 pm »

Hi Michael,

How to you find the 50mm f1.8 S in absolute terms and in terms of price performance?

Cheers,
Bernard

I like it. There is a revolution in better lenses. More and more do what I need done. The 50mm f/1.8 is OK. It is inexpensive from my point of view.

For me, the times they are a'changing as the Bard says. I have a lot of lenses, but am realizing that these new lenses like the Nkkor Z (and of course the Otus series) and what is coming via adapters is changing the world of lenses as I see it. The Nikkor "O" CRT lens with some extension and an adapter is incredibly wonderful. This is just the tip of the iceberg, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:14:43 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 04:04:00 am »

Those are two beautiful flower pix, Michael. I don't think I'd put that down to lenses...

Rob

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 04:42:18 am »

In fact, I have never had so many usable lenses hitting the market. I can’t afford to buy them all. ...

It is a good thing that Zeiss, Sony and foremost Sigma has made the quality lens competition more intense for Nikon and Canon.
Large steps are made in the right direction.
I very much would like to have a TS adapter for the Z cameras, so i can use every F-lens with it. Would be great.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 04:56:41 am »

I very much would like to have a TS adapter for the Z cameras, so i can use every F-lens with it. Would be great.

If you are talking about using F-mount Nikon lenses with tilt, there are at least two budget adapters that work work pretty well. I have one of them.  Here is another:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikon-Macro-Tilt-Adapter-for-Nikon-F-AI-Lens-to-Nikon-D90-D810-D5300-D7000/272464977491?hash=item3f702d9e53:g:x2AAAOSw241YUmkq&frcectupt=true

No, nothing fancy, but you are able to tilt with them. For close-up and macro only.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:00:04 am by Michael Erlewine »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 05:13:21 am »

If you are talking about using F-mount Nikon lenses with tilt, there are at least two budget adapters that work work pretty well. I have one of them.  Here is another:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikon-Macro-Tilt-Adapter-for-Nikon-F-AI-Lens-to-Nikon-D90-D810-D5300-D7000/272464977491?hash=item3f702d9e53:g:x2AAAOSw241YUmkq&frcectupt=true
No, nothing fancy, but you are able to tilt with them. For close-up and macro only.

Thanks, but as i understand this is a Fmount-to-Fmount tilt adapter.. You loose the possiblility to focus at infinity...
What i am suggesting is that the Z-camera will be connected through a Zmount-to-Fmount TS adapter, making TS possible at every focus distance with a Z-camera and F-lens.
Since sensors are having 50MP+ pixels and lenses are getting better; The old plate camera tricks are necessary to get the most out of them.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 05:24:38 am »

Thanks, but as i understand this is a Fmount-to-Fmount tilt adapter.. You loose the possiblility to focus at infinity...
What i am suggesting is that the Z-camera will be connected through a Zmount-to-Fmount TS adapter, making TS possible at every focus distance with a Z-camera and F-lens.
Since sensors are having 50MP+ pixels and lenses are getting better; The old plate camera tricks are necessary to get the most out of them.

I understand, which is why I pointed out these type of adapters are for close-up and macro only. Still, they work. I find it easier to simply mount the Nikon Z7 on a bellows and use that, which I do.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 01:55:06 am »

The techart F to Z adapter seems to be about to be released.

http://techartpro.com/product/techart-sony-e-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-tze-01/

We'll have to see how well the AF performs, but at least it will open the door to all the MF lenses available in Sony FE mount (Zeiss, Voigtlander,...).

The significance of these 2 mm will be huge. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 03:57:19 am »

The techart F to Z adapter seems to be about to be released.

http://techartpro.com/product/techart-sony-e-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-tze-01/

We'll have to see how well the AF performs, but at least it will open the door to all the MF lenses available in Sony FE mount (Zeiss, Voigtlander,...).

The significance of these 2 mm will be huge. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

I ordered  the Techart Sony E to Nikon 7 as soon as it was posted. Have no idea when it will ship. Let me know if any of you get one. I want to use it with the Voigtlander 65mm Macro (in E mount) on the Z 7. I have had the 65mm Macro since it was first issued, but no camera to put it on. LOL. It looks to be as good or perhaps better than the Voigtlander 125mm Lanthar, of which I have several copies.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 02:54:04 am »

https://m.dpreview.com/news/2358400875/techart-pro-s-new-tze-01-is-the-world-s-first-sony-e-to-nikon-z-af-lens-adapter

Cheers,
Bernard

I have two of these on order, each from a different vendor. One is Tech-Art itself. From what early testing of the actual adapter seem to show is that this adapter works well. There is some question if the adapter "locks" into place with a click. That will drive me crazy, but we will just have to see. Since I don't care about auto-focus, it should work fine for my work. I have the two Voigtlander Macros in Sony mounts (65mm and 110mm) sitting here on the shelf waiting.

Meanwhile, I continue to test the Leica-m39 to Z adapter and it works perfectly. Here is a shot with that adapter and the Nikon "O" CRT lens.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:57:44 am by Michael Erlewine »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 04:00:09 am »

Has anyone tried the 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 with the Novoflex M to Z or any other adapter?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 08:38:42 am »

Looks like mine just shipped.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 08:40:29 am »

Looks like mine just shipped.

Cheers,
Bernard

Yep. Both of mind also "just shipped," but I have no way of knowing how long the shipping will take. LOL.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 08:57:02 am »

Yep. Both of mind also "just shipped," but I have no way of knowing how long the shipping will take. LOL.

I am a bit closer from the source. 😀

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 07:10:02 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=628&v=9_Y6BbdI3CY

The teacart adapter seem to work pretty well. It looks like the whole portfolio of FE lenses has become usable on the Nikon Z6 and Z7. Of special interest for me are the Zeiss Batis lenses and they seem ok.

What a difference one month can make... from no eye-AF and Nikon lenses only to eye-AF on hundreds of lenses. :D

The next move is probably going to be an adapter for Canon R lenses to Nikon Z.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:13:34 pm by BernardLanguillier »

SrMi

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 01:33:04 am »

I've got the Techart TZE-01 adapter and tried it with Sony's 100-400 (one lens that I find very much missing in Nikon's arsenal).
First, I ran the updater just in case and used Google to translate status messages from Chinese to English.

The adapter works OK-ish. The AF occasionally gets stuck, must focus manually first before AF starts working again. Lens VR does not seem to work.

But otherwise, it is a much smaller adapter than FTZ and gives access to many lenses missing in the Z mount.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 12:56:59 pm »

I received the TechArt adapter and I have the Voigtlander 110mm APO Macro Sony E-Mount and the Voitlander 65mm APO Macro in Sony E-Mount. However, the problem that appears, using either of these lenses and the adapter on the Z7, is that the image I see in the Live View or EVF seems the right lighting, but when I click the shutter, the resulting image is VERY much over exposed. So, in order to get a properly exposed image I have to try and see in the EVF or Live View and focus a VERY dark image to get a resulting properly exposed image. Any ideas or similar experiences. And this is a major PITA.

Unless there is a work-around, this is a major disappointment.  I have hoped to have a what-you-see-is-what-you-get experience with this adapter and these Voigtlander Son--E-Mount lenses.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:39:52 pm by Michael Erlewine »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up