Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Flash Recommendation  (Read 5078 times)

Arsène

Flash Recommendation
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:59:11 am »

Hi!

Not sure wether I should post this in the beginners section or here, lighting section.
I'm looking into a flash system, only the internet gives me headaches.
I do know about strobist.com as a good source of information, but it's mostly speedlight oriented.

In broad terms, I want a simple set that can be wirelessly triggerd by camera.
A bit more specific
600 à 800 W/s (it seems like a good alround, portrait/still life/archetecture/product/outdoor/) (or more)
No real need for TTL
No real need for remotely dialing settings
Cool if it can be used on location or if there is an option / rentable option that makes it useable on location.
Multiple camera brand friendly
Strong & sturdy, ok to use with softbox/octabox

What would you recommend?
Which battered/second hand systems should I look into (europe)? came across broncolor Pulso 2&4 sets what do you think of these? And how much do they more or less go for these days?

Oh by the way, I'm new here :)
Thanks ahead,

DP

Re: Flash Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:57:13 pm »

Ghaag

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:21:52 pm »

I bought used Profoto B1’s on eBay and love them.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 01:57:25 pm »

Welcome to the group! I´d suggest to skip the older Pulso packs, flash heads are fine. Try to get hands on a Grafit A pack, preferable with RFS (remote triggering and very basic control) but this could be installed later on non RFS units. Or you may look into the Siros series. Both will be a bit of investment but probably the best bang for the buck.

JaapD

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 06:28:31 am »

Suggestion from my side, the Godox AD600B with Bowens mount.
This one meets more spec than you require, such as full TTL functionality.

Regards,
Jaap.

Cornfield

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 10:56:14 am »

Agree with Jaap.  Godox gear is excellent and fantastic value for money.  Once you have used their wireless flash trigger you'll love it.

Two23

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 11:49:41 am »

If you are in the U.S. a pair of Alien Bees B1600 with umbrellas is a great choice.  Available used on Ebay.  For triggers I use the Cybersyncs.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

BAB

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 04:28:05 pm »

Questions are
do you need to overpower the sun
do you need 1/28,000 duration or faster and at what power
do you need to group several units and control them independently and do you need to control them asymmetricaly or just symmetrically
do you need a minimum recycle time
do you have a restriction on weight
are you planing on using deep umbrellas or paras and want even soft light
can you live with only 600ws

these my friend are the questions you need to answer then I or most could recommend the right solution.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Arsène

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 03:34:37 pm »

Welcome to the group! I´d suggest to skip the older Pulso packs, flash heads are fine. Try to get hands on a Grafit A pack, preferable with RFS (remote triggering and very basic control) but this could be installed later on non RFS units. Or you may look into the Siros series. Both will be a bit of investment but probably the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Is there a reason (or reasons) why you would skip on the Pulso Packs?

Arsène

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 04:14:05 pm »

Questions are
do you need to overpower the sun
do you need 1/28,000 duration or faster and at what power
do you need to group several units and control them independently and do you need to control them asymmetricaly or just symmetrically
do you need a minimum recycle time
do you have a restriction on weight
are you planing on using deep umbrellas or paras and want even soft light
can you live with only 600ws

these my friend are the questions you need to answer then I or most could recommend the right solution.

Good questions.
I must say I didn't know flash & continuous light were so different (I'm actually coming from film).
So I have a beginner question here, it's regarding wireless triggering. The wireless trigger system seems quite complex and bound to specific brands.
For instance those Broncolor packs, how do I get them to wirelessly be triggered by my camera? Pocket Wizard?
Is it like this: Camera -> Wireless transmitter        Wireless receiver -> Broncolor Powerpack -> Broncolor Flash

Overpowering the sun, not needed at the moment. (But future wise it's ok to have the option)

Recycle time, of course the faster the better.  But there is no need for minimum / it's not a priority.
No restriction on weight.
I'm certainly going to use octabox/softbox for event soft light. Parabolic's are interesting as well, and I might want to use them too.
600 W/s is ok, altough I think a bit more can help in certain situations.

Also came across Profoto Pro2pack (accu&heads) worth a look or not? Do these have built-in pocket wizard receivers? (I read older Profoto had pocket wizard receivers)

Thanks!

UlfKrentz

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 04:45:19 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Is there a reason (or reasons) why you would skip on the Pulso Packs?

The Pulso was the workhorse of the 80ties. Nothing wrong in particular, just a very old design and probably beginning to get difficult to repair. Electrolytic flash capacitors with close to 40 years of age are probably at the end of their lifetime. No RF triggering (just IR), not a wide range of power adjustments, quit long flash duration because not yet equipped with the broncolor state of the art IGBT cutoff circuit that result in excellent color stability over the entire wide power range and / or selectable flash duration. Grafit A is also discontinued for a while now, but offers nearly all the advanced features, is rencently easy to spot and available at reasonable cost with a lot of life left.

Rado

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 07:24:44 am »

If you're new to lighting I would second the suggestion above to try a Godox system (it's sold rebranded under many names - for example Pixapro in UK, Quadralite in the continental Europe). It's affordable enough and works well enough for figuring out what you really want or need from a lighting kit. It doesn't mean you have to stay with it but it's a cheap way to learn.

EmilPP

• Letfinans
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 06:37:54 am »

Any recommendations on umbrellas when factoring in price, portability etc.?
Photo newbie and enthusiast

LizaPold

• noob
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 10:01:44 am »

Hi guys, I have a question. Is it possible to use a tactical or LED flashlight to illuminate the object? how good is the lighting?

UlfKrentz

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 01:06:18 pm »

Any recommendations on umbrellas when factoring in price, portability etc.?

I like the silver/white ones from Calumet. If my mind serves me well they went out of business in the states but at least they still sell in Germany. Cheers!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 04:15:29 pm »

IMHO, the one brand that is innovating faster than anybody else by a wide margin is Profoto. Pricey but consistent, reliable, great light quality, short durations, super easy to use, scalable,... and at the forefront with all the leading technologies including TTL for N, C, S and Fuji.

Some may hate me for writing this, but if you have no issues with buying cheaper copies then Godox is a good option I guess. I personally value IP and would never give then a cent.

Cheers,
Bernard

DP

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 09:01:47 pm »

IMHO, the one brand that is innovating faster than anybody else by a wide margin is Profoto. Pricey but consistent, reliable, great light quality, short durations, super easy to use, scalable,... and at the forefront with all the leading technologies including TTL for N, C, S and Fuji.
formally their TTL transmitters were years later than some chineese brands, like Godox... care to research when Profoto released them vs Godox  ;D ? and Godox has even Pentax TTL ... I am not arguing about quality, but innovating faster ?

T1MC0LE

• Tim Cole
    • Tim Cole
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 06:24:33 am »

I would jump in and recommend the Godox 600, especially if this is all new to you, Profoto are better build and really deliver with HSS but if they are for light use then Godox are a great choice.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 11:32:58 pm »

It's hard to beat Godox for performance / price.

I bought a couple of Profoto B1's for a friend a few years ago, and then decided on a fleet of Godox for my own needs and happy for it.
Dr D White DDS BSc

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 07:59:39 am »

Some may hate me for writing this, but if you have no issues with buying cheaper copies then Godox is a good option I guess. I personally value IP and would never give then a cent.

Cheers,
Bernard

I would love to buy Profoto, but unfortunately they only work manually and without HSS on Leica cameras. Leica seems to be left out of all of the good pro lights for TTL and HSS.

I have a pair of Leica SF 64 speed lights and the Leica SC1 remote controller. This system works well, supports HSS (TTL mode only) and is very compact. Nissin makes the flashes and any of their new models can be controlled with the Leica SC1 trigger. The Nissin MG10 provides more output in a compact package, but is $600!

Hopefully, Profoto or Elichrome will produce a Leica-compatible fully configurable trigger. This will solve my problem and I'd be a buyer.

Fortunately, most of my photography is natural light.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up