Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notre-Dame Fire  (Read 4900 times)

Rob C

Re: Notre-Dame Fire
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2019, 09:01:47 am »

I know that it is Coffee Corner and that it is my own fault to have wandering in but surely as photographers - whom I would have thought are by definition either artists or at least interested in art and culture - we could refrain from bickering about something as gut wrenching as the damage to a wonderful cultural monument as Notre Dame.
Recently my 30 year old grandson despaired of the Brexit chaos and the current farrago in Canadian politics as being like  "groups of high school debaters pretending to be a government" - I guess that also they have insinuated themselves here. Please grow up and just potter off to the nearest bar.

No specific names in mind just a general plea.

Isn't that always the case when one finds an argument with which to disagree?

But hey, at thirty, I also knew the right answer to everyone's problems but my own! The kid's normal, let him be.

;-)

stamper

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2019, 09:06:31 am »

I know that it is Coffee Corner and that it is my own fault to have wandering in but surely as photographers - whom I would have thought are by definition either artists or at least interested in art and culture - we could refrain from bickering about something as gut wrenching as the damage to a wonderful cultural monument as Notre Dame.
Recently my 30 year old grandson despaired of the Brexit chaos and the current farrago in Canadian politics as being like  "groups of high school debaters pretending to be a government" - I guess that also they have insinuated themselves here. Please grow up and just potter off to the nearest bar.

No specific names in mind just a general plea.

I thought you had to be a moderator to lecture members?

Krug

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2019, 09:33:45 am »

I know that I should not rise to the bait but :

...... Rob, even 30 year olds can sometimes be right - especially when it is so damned shamingly obvious, and,

..... Stamper, moderators are only necessary when groups lack the maturity to self discipline.

In future I will restrict my Lula activities to the photography related areas and leave you guys to amuse yourselves ... have fun.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 11:03:19 am »

But hey, at thirty, I also knew the right answer to everyone's problems but my own! The kid's normal, let him be.

I know you had a smiley in this post but I just wanted to make one comment. It's a common meme in our culture (and others) that as we get older, we get wiser. As a pensioner myself, this is a seductive point of view, if a little self-serving. But we should take a step back and recognize the homily for what it is, a meaningless cliché. I know plenty of old dumb guys, I'm sure you do too. Not everyone learns as they get older, and some become much more set in their ways and close-minded, not to say stupid.

I just thought the notion needed a little pushback, it's too easy to fall into line sometimes.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 01:00:13 pm »

I know you had a smiley in this post but I just wanted to make one comment. It's a common meme in our culture (and others) that as we get older, we get wiser. As a pensioner myself, this is a seductive point of view, if a little self-serving. But we should take a step back and recognize the homily for what it is, a meaningless cliché. I know plenty of old dumb guys, I'm sure you do too. Not everyone learns as they get older, and some become much more set in their ways and close-minded, not to say stupid.

I just thought the notion needed a little pushback, it's too easy to fall into line sometimes.

That's an interesting point of view Robert, but did I claim to be any the wiser today?

But you're right: it really is too easy to fall into line, which is why I felt the need to offer the thought that I waste no tears for old buildings long neglected. However, were said buildings mine, my tune would be totally different.

;-)

Rob

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2019, 01:11:08 pm »

That's an interesting point of view Robert, but did I claim to be any the wiser today?

But you're right: it really is too easy to fall into line, which is why I felt the need to offer the thought that I waste no tears for old buildings long neglected. However, were said buildings mine, my tune would be totally different.

;-)

Rob

Some old buildings and neighbourhoods should be maintained in their pristine state, I'd say, but not all. Everything has a shelf life.

--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2019, 01:12:39 pm »

I know that I should not rise to the bait but :

...... Rob, even 30 year olds can sometimes be right - especially when it is so damned shamingly obvious, and,

..... Stamper, moderators are only necessary when groups lack the maturity to self discipline.

In future I will restrict my Lula activities to the photography related areas and leave you guys to amuse yourselves ... have fun.

The "obvious" is an act of faith, in this case, not a reality common to all minds.

However, as stamper opined, lecturing members is a bit rich when all you can base your little lecture upon is your personal case of angst and broken heart at the partial destruction of a tourist site that has now, more than ever, focussed eyes upon Paris. You see? not all is bad that gets forged by fire.

Whether or not you choose to frequent the CC is entirely up to you; I'm sure that neither stamper nor I would wish to put any pressure on your decision which is totally yours to make. No way would I want to appear to be trying to make you think or act in any particular direction.

;-)

Rob

Krug

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2019, 02:00:07 pm »

Rob, just one last comment.  I suspect from your phrasing that you are attributing Brexiteer opinions to me - if so you could not be more wrong.

Over and out.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Rob C

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »

Rob, just one last comment.  I suspect from your phrasing that you are attributing Brexiteer opinions to me - if so you could not be more wrong.

Over and out.

That you have no Brexiteer opinions is the best bit of news to come out of this tiny skirmish. I only wish I had been allowed a vote!

Anyway, regarding the old kirk: I have no wish to see it suffer harm, but that doesn't imply it breaks my heart should the old thing get a bump now and again; even I get those! Basically, I guess I'm saying tears, like charity, best begin at home.

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2019, 10:34:54 pm »

I have started this thread with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes. As I said, although my family religious tradition is Christian (Orthodox), I am not Catholic, and not even religious myself. I see Notre-Dame, as many other similar artifacts, as a great achievement of the mankind. To imagine that someone was able, 850 years ago, to construct such a building using then-available technology and know-how, is mind boggling. That it was able to survive 850 years is equally miraculous.

From this standpoint, the thread has run its course. It was not meant to give platform for political posturing or cynicism. If someone wants to opine in that direction, be my guest. Just start your own thread, where you can spit on the charred remains all you want. I've already seen thousands upon thousands of laughing smiles, mostly from Muslims, on social media. I do not want to see them here.

As the thread starter, I have the option to lock this thread, and that is what I am going to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up