Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tethering options for P30+  (Read 780 times)

Endeavour

tethering options for P30+
« on: April 13, 2019, 09:08:43 am »

I used to tether my P30+ to my 2011 macbook pro with C1 via the firewire port

unfortunately a disaster with a pint of beer means my macbook pro is no longer with us, and as such I am stuck without a tethered solution

What options to I have to get C1 and my P30+ back (on a Hassy H1 body) talking to each other again?

I am not married to the Apple ecosystem, so can move away from a macbook if necessary.

I've seen thunderbolt to FW adapters but I think I might struggle with battery life on the camera on longer shoots in the field

any suggestions please?

Christoph B.

Re: tethering options for P30+
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 03:02:29 pm »

In a studio environment it's very easy to get a Windows PC with a PCI-e Firewire card that also delivers power to the back.

In the field you're better off just using a thunderbolt-FireWire adapter and relying on multiple batteries to get your through the day. It's not nice, but every other option is even worse, especially when you'd have to carry extra batteries to power FireWire repeaters (apart from the additional weight and cables etc).

I've successfully used a Dell XPS15 (2018) and a Razer Blade 15 (2018) both with Thunderbolt 3 <-> Thunderbolt 2 + Thunderbolt 2 <-> FireWire Adapter chains and both worked very well (after a few tweaks):

https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=28441

However now with current Macbook Pros I have no idea how well such an adapter chain would work. The Thunderbolt 2<->FW Adapter worked fine on my old MacBook Pro (2013)...
Pages: [1]   Go Up