Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica Q2  (Read 9186 times)

Kirk_C

Re: Leica Q2
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 06:25:41 pm »

Quote from: hasselbladfan link=topic=129442.msg1099223#msg1099223 date=1552148747
I bet my money on the SL2.
[/quote

I'm waiting on the SL2 before buying my next Leica. I think we've seen the evolution of the M go as far as it will go for the next couple of years and the Q2 is just too odd IMHO. For a company predicated on outstanding optical design to rely on software to make this lens work with the new (sort of new) sensor seems wrong somehow.

Sean Reid (reidreviews.com) wrote a detailed review of the camera and the lens. His site is subscription only but is very well worth it.

I subscribed a few years back but found I could get just as much information in this forum and from a wider range of users perspective.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 10:36:32 am »

Genuine question as I'm a little at loss about the excitement regarding this camera.
What do you think this camera offers than a Ricoh GR for 28 mm doesn't or a Fuji X100 for 35 mm for 5x times the cost? Or a Fuji X-E3 with many lenses.
Move to a Sony and the size is not far behind either and you have the full frame and tons of pixels too for still less cost and more versatility.

Telecaster

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 04:54:15 pm »

How does this image manipulation affect overall image quality? Seems people feel the edges of the images are compromised.

I'm sure the software correction has some effect on corner image quality. But so too do the geometrical distortions of most lenses that do all the correction work optically. I suppose Leica could've gone with the Zeiss Otus strategy: give the lens a huge image circle and push the corner/edge issues out of the 24x36mm frame. But then the lens would've been a lot bigger. They had to give a bit on something

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 05:05:24 pm »

Genuine question as I'm a little at loss about the excitement regarding this camera.
What do you think this camera offers than a Ricoh GR for 28 mm doesn't or a Fuji X100 for 35 mm for 5x times the cost? Or a Fuji X-E3 with many lenses.
Move to a Sony and the size is not far behind either and you have the full frame and tons of pixels too for still less cost and more versatility.

The Q2 doesn't offer much of anything extra in technical terms than those other cameras besides higher resolution. But Leica's target audience is people who value the whole Leica prestige thing and who also want a piece of gear that performs. It's probably the only market niche they can sustainably occupy.

-Dave-

adriantyler

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 03:05:09 am »

I upgraded from the original RX1 to the RX1RII and I regretted it. Two reasons:
- I found 42 megapixels needed near perfect technique (not something I wanted to do on a P&S)
- Less DOF

Basically, IMO, I didn't want to use a tripod or fast shutter speeds or have to stop down to get DOF on a camera that is designed to be P&S.

That said, I love the Q1 and 28mm is perfect for my hand held work. But I don't think I'll be upgrading, unless they bring out a native 50mm version.

vjbelle

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 03:47:31 pm »

+1

Victor

SrMi

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 12:33:19 pm »

The Q2 doesn't offer much of anything extra in technical terms than those other cameras besides higher resolution. But Leica's target audience is people who value the whole Leica prestige thing and who also want a piece of gear that performs. It's probably the only market niche they can sustainably occupy.

-Dave-

It will be a sad day when cameras and lenses are judged by their technical data only.

JaapD

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 01:28:58 am »

Yeah, right. It should be valued by the presence of the red dot containing the brand name <not>

This is another dentist camera. No offence to dentists in any way…..

Regards,
Jaap.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 05:28:27 am »

If anyone wants to buy a red dot to stick on their Fuji, let me know

scooby70

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 05:41:59 am »

I upgraded from the original RX1 to the RX1RII and I regretted it. Two reasons:
- I found 42 megapixels needed near perfect technique (not something I wanted to do on a P&S)
- Less DOF

Basically, IMO, I didn't want to use a tripod or fast shutter speeds or have to stop down to get DOF on a camera that is designed to be P&S.

That said, I love the Q1 and 28mm is perfect for my hand held work. But I don't think I'll be upgrading, unless they bring out a native 50mm version.

I'm baffled by all of this.

42mp will only reveal issues with things like focus and camera or subject movement that the lower mp kit hides if you view at high magnification. Downsize the 42mp pictures to match whatever lower mp kit you're using and the issues should be equally well hidden. Surely?

scooby70

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 05:48:46 am »

Yeah, right. It should be valued by the presence of the red dot containing the brand name <not>

This is another dentist camera. No offence to dentists in any way…..

Regards,
Jaap.

I'm not so sure and in fact I think I disagree :D because the Leica is a capable camera with a good AF system and a good lens. If anyone wants a quality FF 28mm fixed lens camera this surely makes a lot of sense. Personally I much prefer 35mm and would rather have my A7 with 35mm f2.8 (there is no compact 35mm f1.8 yet but I also have a manual 35mm f1.4) simply because I use other focal lengths and would rather change lenses than rely on cropping.

There's the price of course... that puts me off as does the fear of getting sensor contamination with a fixed lens camera. I know that contamination is (presumably) much less likely and maybe it's an irrational fear but it's there for me.

Good luck to anyone who buys though.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 07:58:32 am »

42mp will only reveal issues with things like focus and camera or subject movement that the lower mp kit hides if you view at high magnification. Downsize the 42mp pictures to match whatever lower mp kit you're using and the issues should be equally well hidden. Surely?

Agreed.

Cheers,
Bernard

adriantyler

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 10:07:42 am »

makes sense. i take it's the DOF is the same too?

williamrohr2

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 07:00:20 pm »

Why the 28mm? The M6 I had a long time ago was one of the most enjoyable cameras I have ever owned.  I looked back through my files and even though I had all the available focal lengths over 80% of my shots were with either the 50mm or 35mm lenses.  I realize everyone's styles of shooting are different but I was traveling extensively and carried it to do street photography ... and almost never used the 28.  People didn't like it when they saw how they looked with the 28mm ... always did when I used the 50mm.  The 35mm. was the go-to for general street scenes and was always wide enough even in the narrow streets of old European cities.  P.S. Only sold the kit when I made the mistake of trading for the M7 which was never as good  ... and then the lens coding business is when I had enough and said goodbye to Leica. One gal's opinion.

SrMi

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 12:22:57 am »

Why the 28mm? The M6 I had a long time ago was one of the most enjoyable cameras I have ever owned.  I looked back through my files and even though I had all the available focal lengths over 80% of my shots were with either the 50mm or 35mm lenses.  I realize everyone's styles of shooting are different but I was traveling extensively and carried it to do street photography ... and almost never used the 28.  People didn't like it when they saw how they looked with the 28mm ... always did when I used the 50mm.  The 35mm. was the go-to for general street scenes and was always wide enough even in the narrow streets of old European cities.  P.S. Only sold the kit when I made the mistake of trading for the M7 which was never as good  ... and then the lens coding business is when I had enough and said goodbye to Leica. One gal's opinion.

iPhones have a camera lens that corresponds to the 26mm full frame lens. Discuss.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 01:35:24 am »

iPhones have a camera lens that corresponds to the 26mm full frame lens. Discuss.

Google Pixel 3 has 28mmm equiv.

hogloff

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 08:58:10 am »

A wider view gives the user more flexibility to capture wide landscape scenes and then use pinch zoom to narrow the view when needed. I've seen phone users constantly using pinch zoom to adjust their focal length.

I believe people that buy a $5,000 camera most likely don't want to "pinch zoom" to their desired focal length but rather have the camera default to that. Many prefer, including myself, that default to be 35mm as I find at 28mm people images start looking too distorted.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 09:14:09 am »

Much rather have a 35mm than any other focal length if I have to choose one fixed lens.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Telecaster

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:53 pm »

I think the Q(2)'s target customers tend not to use 28mm lenses on their M camera(s) 'cuz they can't see the 28mm framelines in the viewfinder (due to wearing glasses) and don't like using external VFs, yet do like the 28mm's wider-than-35mm coverage for urban travel & rural scenics. It's a niche-within-a-niche market, yet large enough (to a small, niche company like Leica) to be worth servicing.

-Dave-

armand

• Photos
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2019, 04:34:01 pm »

Much rather have a 35mm than any other focal length if I have to choose one fixed lens.

I believe people that buy a $5,000 camera most likely don't want to "pinch zoom" to their desired focal length but rather have the camera default to that. Many prefer, including myself, that default to be 35mm as I find at 28mm people images start looking too distorted.

There is a Fuji X100F for you for 1/4 price, smaller size and with a hybrid viewfinder. Too bad it's not weather sealed, maybe next generation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up